• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone know about Puerto Penasco area?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm looking at possibly doing a driving trip through Phoenix to the Mayan Palace in Puerto Penasco in September. Has anybody done this trip? I understand the road is in good shape, but I'm curious about driving my own car in Mexico, Border issues, Covid restrictions, and so forth. Does anyone have current information about any of this?

As for the Mayan Palace in Puerto Penasco itself, has anyone stayed there? I'm seeing a utility surcharge based on unit size - are there other taxes, as well? What can you tell me about the resort, and the area around it?

Anyone have firsthand knowledge of this area?

Thanks,
Dave

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We live in the West Valley of the Greater Phoenix area and have driven to Puerto Penasco several times. We are actually going down to the Grand Mayan there May 14-21, so I will have a more updated report with pictures and post a link when I get back.

The drive is easy - a few years ago I drove with 3 others down for a girls trip with no problems.

From your area, drive towards Phoenix, but take the 303 to I-10, drive about 8 miles to Buckeye and just past Buckeye, you will take the AZ Highway 85xit to Gila Bend It is a 4 lane divided road to Gila Bend. At Gila Bend, you turn on the road by McDonald's that will say To Mexico somewhere on a sign. Gila Bend is where you might make a pit stop. If you do not stop there, then there is a State Park about 10-15 miles from the border that has very clean restrooms - it is past Ajo and Why. I mention this because you will have very few opportunities on your way down, especially once you cross the border. You cross the border at Lukeville - easy peasy. The Mexicans Border Patrol generally just waves you though and you go through the town of Sonoyta - DO NOT SPEED THERE! Once you get out of Sonoyta, it is about an hour drive to PP aka Rocky Point. You will see the signs to Vidanta (MP/GM) as you enter the general area. It is about 15 miles east of the "downtown" area of PP. The resort is nice. It is not as large as most Vidanta Resorts.

We buy insurance for our vehicle. Full coverage for my 2015 Acadia was $160 for 8 days.

We have stayed at the MP 4 or 5 times since moving to AZ in 2007. It was a great place to take our grandson. We have also rented condos at Sandy Beach area and one of our son's has a friend that has a house there that he has let our family stay in that is in the Conchas Chinas area.

More information after May 21.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Wow, Phyllis. Thank you! I look forward to hearing about your trip when you're home again.

I have a choice of studio, 1 bedroom, or a 2 bedroom. I've stayed at the Grand Mayan in Rivera Maya. Is it likely the 1 and 2 bedroom unit at MP PP will be similar to the 1 and 2 bedroom units at GM RM? I know the Mayan Palace units were a bit different than the Grand Mayan units - are things likely to be similar at PP? (Trying to decide what to expect.)

Dave

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Phyllis says it all! Except, locally, we know it as Rocky Point. Very popular here with locals, with families. Had a co-worker who would talk about driving down for day trips. Good seafood! It's a real treasure due to the proximity. Enjoy!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I'm looking at possibly doing a driving trip through Phoenix to the Mayan Palace in Puerto Penasco in September. Has anybody done this trip? .....Thanks,
Dave

we did it in mid Oct 2013 & Oct 2014 . Flew to Phoenix from Buffalo on Southwest
The reason I say October is - weather was great by then for us coming from the north.

Story - one of the bellboys we talked to was in his 20’s - said he grew up in Northern Arizona .
He said his first summer working at the MP-PP he thought he was going to croak in the summer heat pushing the luggage carts outdoors.

check the Sept / Oct temp. charts and decide what week works for you

The Mayan Puerto Penasco has one of the best beaches I have visited - lots of tidal pools
& shallow walking out for a long distance , with only a swell or little waves.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Phyllis says it all! Except, locally, we know it as Rocky Point. Very popular here with locals, with families. Had a co-worker who would talk about driving down for day trips. Good seafood! It's a real treasure due to the proximity. Enjoy!

I agree - Phyllis knows her stuff. :) Thanks for the "Rocky Point" name tip. So it sounds like this isn't such a far-fetched idea then. I'm interested in finding a drivable location from Southern Nevada, where we can visit from time to time. Southern California is about the same drive time from here, but I'm looking for an alternative.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
we did it in mid Oct 2013 & Oct 2014 . Flew to Phoenix from Buffalo on Southwest
The reason I say October is - weather was great by then for us coming from the north.

Story - one of the bellboys we talked to was in his 20’s - said he grew up in Northern Arizona .
He said his first summer working at the MP-PP he thought he was going to croak in the summer heat pushing the luggage carts outdoors.

check the Sept / Oct temp. charts and decide what week works for you

The Mayan Puerto Penasco has one of the best beaches I have visited - lots of tidal pools
& shallow walking out for a long distance , with only a swell or little waves.

So if you went twice, you must have enjoyed it. Where did you stay?

I'm looking at September because I have an AC on Interval that ends then. It seems like it could be an affordable getaway.

Weather in September is about the same as weather here in Mesquite that month, so it wouldn't be very different, except for the beaches.

How about the crowds when you were there? I don't see any major cities in the area, so expect tourists would be the largest groups visiting.

Dave

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Wow, Phyllis. Thank you! I look forward to hearing about your trip when you're home again.

I have a choice of studio, 1 bedroom, or a 2 bedroom. I've stayed at the Grand Mayan in Rivera Maya. Is it likely the 1 and 2 bedroom unit at MP PP will be similar to the 1 and 2 bedroom units at GM RM? I know the Mayan Palace units were a bit different than the Grand Mayan units - are things likely to be similar at PP? (Trying to decide what to expect.)

Dave

The MP units are fine. They do not have a balcony that you can sit on to enjoy the view as it is about 30 inches wide - just enough to put a chair from the bedroom on it. Technically, the Mayan World resorts do not have Studios. They call them Hotel Units, so it is basically a bedroom with a very small - dorm type refrigerator and a coffee maker. Choose at least a 1 bedroom unit - we tend to choose 2-bedroom units when possible because we like having 2 bathrooms and space because hubs gets up much earlier than me and can shower without waking me. The one-bedroom will have a king bed but the hotel/lock-out unit will have 2 double beds. The MP kitchen has an under-counter refrigerator, microwave, 2 burners, plenty of cookware for the size of the unit. MP guests cannot use the lazy river.

Oh, there is a VIdanta App that you can download and see the resort and menus with prices. I have been checking that out this past week.

As Snazzylass said - you can even do a day trip - we have twice because we have an 85 year old friend who had to go see an attorney there when selling the condo she and her husband had. We drove her down saw the attorney, had lunch and came home. The drive is just under 4 hours from our house.

We always buy shrimp to bring home for our dog sitter. You can always bring a styrofoam ice chest to take it back home with you. I think you can bring up to 25 pounds each back. The shrimp sellers know what the current limit is. They put it in bags with some ice, but for your trip, you would most likely by extra ice.

This is the 2-bedroom Suite. The side with 2 beds is the "Studio. The center and side with king bed is the 1-bedroom, the entire picture is a 2-bedroom unit.

1618844850210.png

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for that great info! I agree, a one bedroom minimum is what I'd prefer, and would work well for us. The exchange rate is the same, but the extra $200 utility fee for a 2 bedroom seems excessive, if we'd only be two in the unit.

I see what you mean about the balcony. If the unit faced the water, I'd take pictures or whatever from there. Otherwise, I'd walk on the beach.

Do you know if there are units facing away from the water? The resort description mentions "water views," but it doesn't say they're "all" water view. I'd expect exchangers would get a lesser unit. Although when we stayed at Grand Mayan RM, the desk clerk responded well to my request for a great unit close to the pool, (and the discrete $20 tip I handed him.) We ended up in a unit in the building closest to the pool, above the empty unit they showed on the sales tour. It was a great location.

Dave

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We have always been in the Tower building. One side has ocean views and the other side Estuary views. Most of the units in the original buildings where the Lobby is have ocean views - these buildings are 3 stories high. They also overlook the pool. The Tower is 5 stories high in one section and 8 stories high in the other section. The beach goes a really long way. I took these on our 1st trip in 2007.

1618854170112.png
1618854186361.jpeg

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
So if you went twice, you must have enjoyed it. Where did you stay?

I'm looking at September because I have an AC on Interval that ends then. It seems like it could be an affordable getaway.

Weather in September is about the same as weather here in Mesquite that month, so it wouldn't be very different, except for the beaches.

How about the crowds when you were there? I don't see any major cities in the area, so expect tourists would be the largest groups visiting.

Dave

We stayed at the Mayan Palace both years. We used our ownership bonus week that is useable
in shoulder seasons. In 2013 they were offering a promo - pay one MF get an upgrade to 2 units for use in the same week. A friend from St. Louis met us at the airport in Phoenix and we drove to Puerto Penasco in a rental.
We were in the MP tower Phyllis mentioned. We had ocean view and our friend was across the hall with estuary / golf course view .

I am sure Sept will have good weather. One reason we went to PP rather than other Mexican Vidanta locations or an exchange to Florida in October was the days of sunshine per month with very little chance of hurricanes.

We went Thurs- Thurs. and spent 4-5 more days exploring Phoenix and Tucson. In Phoenix we stayed at a Candlewood Suites in Mesa that was close to the airport for our flight back.

The town of Puerto Penasco has about 50.000 residents. It has enough to see / eat if you are there for a week and drive the 20 miles from the resort. 4 wheel rentals for sand dune riding seemed to be a big thing.

The pictures Phyllis posted of the beach & resort give you a good idea of the facilities.

Last edited:

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I agree - Phyllis knows her stuff. :) Thanks for the "Rocky Point" name tip. So it sounds like this isn't such a far-fetched idea then. I'm interested in finding a drivable location from Southern Nevada, where we can visit from time to time. Southern California is about the same drive time from here, but I'm looking for an alternative.

Dave
You are very kind, and apparently I scanned Phyllis's post too quickly, as I see she did mention Rocky Point. I'll be interested in Your review of the area. The convenience is a big sell. I think a lot of people fall in love with the locals and their hospitality, which might actually be a top 3 reason to go. Then there's the seafood :)

I think it might be more appealing than CA for those reasons, along with affordability? I've considered it! It's not HI, of course, but it does have that exotic vacation vibe. I'd want to inspect and research each property under consideration as I've read about the properties being overcrowded, unruly and noisy. I've had friends rent little houses and have been very happy with their getaway.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Wondering about Car Insurance when driving into Mexico. My car insurance carrier says I wouldn't be covered in Mexico with their policy, and I'd need to buy Mexico insurance to cover the trip. Does anybody have information about who/what/where about buying a policy for the time we'd be there? I did a Google search, and got an online quote from a company. $130 for nine days. Does that sound about right? @pittle Can you PM me the info on the company you use?

Dave

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You are very kind, and apparently I scanned Phyllis's post too quickly, as I see she did mention Rocky Point. I'll be interested in Your review of the area. The convenience is a big sell. I think a lot of people fall in love with the locals and their hospitality, which might actually be a top 3 reason to go. Then there's the seafood :)

I think it might be more appealing than CA for those reasons, along with affordability? I've considered it! It's not HI, of course, but it does have that exotic vacation vibe. I'd want to inspect and research each property under consideration as I've read about the properties being overcrowded, unruly and noisy. I've had friends rent little houses and have been very happy with their getaway.

Rocky Point is appealing for a few reasons. We like Hawaii, but it's a financial commitment to vacation there. Now that we're both retired, we need to be extra cautious where the vacation dollars are spent. We'll still go to Hawaii, just not as often as we'd like.

Same with Southern California. I was stationed in San Diego for ten of my twenty Navy years, and I know the area well. My brother moved to San Diego while I was stationed there, and he still lives there. He's said if we come to the San Diego area, we are "required" to stay at his house. So that makes a freebie San Diego vacation possible.

I'm looking for something to keep tucked in our back pocket from here, as an alternate getaway beach vacation. We both enjoy Mexico a lot, but have only vacationed further south, in the major tourist spots. Having a "drive to" location in Mexico that has frequent and affordable accommodations would be really convenient. At "Getaway" pricing, and driving distance in my own car, where the only real expense is gas and Mexico Insurance, what's not to like?

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm getting close. Has anyone had a bad experience there?

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I did finally pull the trigger on this decision. We're booked into a two bedroom at the Mayan Palace for the end of September, My SIL is flying down from the San Francisco Bay Area to make the drive with us, and we'll spend the week enjoying the great beaches and fun to be found there.

Anybody have additional tips to add to any of the above?

Dave

Last edited:

mayamart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Stardust Resort, Vacation Club, South Lake Tahoe
Hotel Xcaret , Mexico Destination Club, Playa del Carmen
Following! We just booked Aug 28-Sep 4, Mayan Palace Puerto Penasco.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Check out these websites:

douglasmhines

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club De Soleil
Garza Blanca
Vidanta GB
Villa Resorts
Marriott Ko Olina
I live about a 3 hour drive from puerto penasco, and have gone there a few few times. I actually bought into the Mayan Grand. My take on the Mayan Grand in puerto penasco is, you must be willing to lower your standards from what you would expect in Cabo or Nuevo Vallarta. That isn't to say it is bad, it just isn't the same as the resorts further south in Mexico. With that said, the ability to drive there means you can literally decide you are going there around breakfast, and be in puerto penasco for an early dinner.

Something to keep in mind, in the winter it is rather cold in that part of Mexico. Furthermore, I am not sure about access to the Mayan Grand pools if you are staying in the Mayan Palace. The key difference, as of when I went, Mayan Grand pools were heated, Mayan Palace were not. Needless to say, the first time I went was in December, and no one was using the Mayan Palace pool, and at that time they were not letting Mayan Palace members use the Mayan Grand pools. As of this moment that should not be any issue because it is the hot time of the year, but should you look to go in the winter, it is something you should look into.

Last thing, if you have not driven in mexico, I advise you take it slow when driving. I drive in mexico at least 3-4 times a month (I live on the border), so i have gotten used to it, but driving in mexico is something you don't take for granted. For example, unless I have driven the road lately, I will not drive once the sun goes down because every once in a while you will find a pothole that could blow your time. In the day they are easily spotted, at night, much more dangerous. Lastly, I never buy mexican driving insurance because I consider it a scam, additionally, many of the toll roads in mexico have insurance included with the cost of your toll. If you are going to buy insurance, that is fine . . . i just advise you research how much and specifically it covers you (do you have to pay out of pocket and seek reimbursement, etc). Last reason I never buy mexican insurance is because no one in mexico has insurance, and should you get into an accident, it will be much easier to just pay a small amount in cash.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The Mayan Palace in Puerto Penasco does have an indoor pool and the water is heated in the winter. It is the only indoor pool at any of the properties. The outdoor pool is not heated. Having been owners since 1999, we have stayed at every Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan, and the pools are heated in Nuevo, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Riviera Maya, Cabo, or Acapulco. The weather is warmer in those locations, so it seems warmer, but still sometimes cool.

In most of the locations, the pools are restricted pools by ownership level. While I am not saying it is fair, it is just the way it is. For a long time, we owned 4 MP units plus 2 Grand Mayan units. so sometimes we got to use the GM amenities, but always MP. When the Grand Mayan was built in Nuevo was when they started stating that you could not use the GM pool and lazy river. Then Acapulco did, and Riviera Maya built the Beach Club and you have to be Grand Bliss or higher. We are now Grand Luxxe level, but in NV, they now have a special pool for Gstates owners (in addition to Grand Bliss and several Grand Luxxe pools).

We recently stayed at the Grand Mayan in Puerto Penasco, and because the MP pool was under renovation, MP folks got to use the GM pool. They did have to purchase a day pass to use the lazy river. Actually, many locals did too. When we were checking out, I saw a Mexican lady with 6 boys between 6-12 buying a special wristband. It was one boys birthday and his friends and brothers were going to spend the day.

While PP is not as glitzy as some of the others, it is a viable location for us. We can get there within 4 hours and do not have to buy plane tickets. We do buy the vehicle insurance - just to don't want to take chances. I second the suggestion to take it slow! The speed limits are in KM per hour and NOT MPH. 45 KM is more like 28 MPH - that is how you get snagged! Some of the town signs are 25 KM so 15 MPH. I attached this chart for some to print off and put in their car. (If your vehicle has digital speedometer change it to metrics when you cross the border.)

1628278861030.png

Last edited:

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for a very informative thread.
A member on the II forum is asking if anyone knows why there aren't any Mayan Palace Puerto Peñasco MYP weeks on II currently? The II description says this resort is typically a Getaway resort, but there are no weeks in Getaways either.