• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

anyone invited to buy Echo from Amazon [2014]

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a wi-fi echo compatible thermostat for our second home. I really can't justify the Nest's cost. Other suggestions?

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a wi-fi echo compatible thermostat for our second home. I really can't justify the Nest's cost. Other suggestions?

I have a Honeywell 9000 and ecobee3 in my house. They're both solid choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I have the Emerson Sensi. I love it through Alexa or the easy to use app.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will check those out. We usually shut down the whole place when we leave, but it would sure be worth keeping the router on to be able to turn on the A/C before we arrive. It doesn't need winter heat, but in warmwe

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
During Best Buy's sale a couple weeks back I added an Echo Dot for my truck. I love having that silly thing in my truck for listening to Pandora, the Flash Briefing, random Q&A, etc. Tonight I was running late getting home and to amuse myself along the drive asked my Dot (in the truck) to "drop in" on my Echo at home. I talked to the dog and the bird ... explaining I'd be home soon. The bird talked back. Quite a bit, actually. How fun!

FWIW, I couldn't get the Dot to tell me tonight's Powerball numbers. She knew of Powerball, the current jackpot value and time of drawing ... but not the numbers. Oh, well.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
During Best Buy's sale a couple weeks back I added an Echo Dot for my truck. I love having that silly thing in my truck for listening to Pandora, the Flash Briefing, random Q&A, etc. Tonight I was running late getting home and to amuse myself along the drive asked my Dot (in the truck) to "drop in" on my Echo at home.
Forgive my ignorance, but since the Echo (Dot) needs an internet connection to work, how do you provide this in the truck? Tether to your phone? Or? I can see the appeal to having Alexa along for the ride, but haven't found a reliable (and cheap) mobile internet connection. How do you do it?

Jim

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Forgive my ignorance, but since the Echo (Dot) needs an internet connection to work, how do you provide this in the truck? Tether to your phone? Or? I can see the appeal to having Alexa along for the ride, but haven't found a reliable (and cheap) mobile internet connection. How do you do it?

Jim
I have an AT&T Connected Car plan. $20/m for the ZTE Mobley on a standalone, unlimited data plan; plugs into the car's OBDII port for power and provides 5 simultaneous device connections over MiFi. Works great in rural areas provided you have strong AT&T coverage. In congested areas, the unit is a lousy performer given its lack of carrier aggregation. There are long discussions over on HowardForums, SlickDeals and other places.

Edited to add copy/paste from the att.com/mobley page concerning the standalone, unlimited data plan:
att.com/mobley said:
AT&T Connected Car Unlimited Plan: U.S. only. Consumer and Individual Responsibility Users only. Eligibility: Requires eligible vehicle, eligible aftermarket device and new or existing AT&T wireless account. Data Restrictions: After 22GB of data usage on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot in a bill cycle, for the rest of the cycle AT&T may slow data speeds on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot during periods of network congestion. Pricing: $20 per aftermarket device monthly plan charge (3 aftermarket devices on plan results in $60 monthly plan charge). Devices: Sold separately. Limits: 3 aftermarket devices per plan. Hotspot: Connects up to 5 Wi-Fi capable devices per vehicle hotspot. Devices connected to vehicle’s hotspot use data from your plan. Once a device connects, it will automatically reconnect and use data from your plan unless hotspot is removed from returning device settings or hotspot password is changed. Performance varies based on number of devices connected and other factors. Video Streaming: Plan includes Stream Saver, which allows you to save data by streaming higher definition video at Standard Definition quality (about 480p). AT&T will activate it. Check your account online to see if active. You may then turn it off or back on at any time at att.com/myatt. Stream saver will not recognize all video content. Ability to stream & video resolution vary, and are affected by other factors. Restrictions apply. See att.com/streamsaver for details. International: Wi-Fi hotspot functionality not available outside of U.S. General Wireless Service Terms: Subject to Wireless Customer Agreement (see att.com/wca). Services are not for resale. Credit approval and deposit may apply. Other Monthly Charges per Line: May include taxes, fed. & state universal svc. charges, Reg. Cost Recovery Charge (up to $1.25), gross receipts surcharge, Admin. Fee, & certain gov’t assessments which are not gov’t req’d charges. Pricing, promotions & terms subject to change & may be modified or terminated at any time without notice. Coverage & svc. not avail. everywhere. You get an off-net (roaming) usage allowance for each vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot. If you exceed the allowance, your svc(s) may be restricted or terminated. Other restr’s apply & may result in svc termination.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. And I think I MIGHT have understood about half of what you said. :) ^^^^ (the important stuff)

All you need to do is plug your Dot into the USB port (if you have one, or portable power like smoothie if you don't).

For Internet, use your phone as a wifi hotspot and connect the Dot to that WiFi access point.

Good to go.

Most car cup holders are the perfect size for a Dot.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For Internet, use your phone as a wifi hotspot and connect the Dot to that WiFi access point.
Yeah ... but ... my $20/m unlimited data is cheaper for my personal habits than tethering options. FWIW, the 22GB is a 'soft' cap. Once over that limit, my usage might become deprioritized (based on present conditions, congestion) but it isn't arbitrarily throttled.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah ... but ... my $20/m unlimited data is cheaper for my personal habits than tethering options. FWIW, the 22GB is a 'soft' cap. Once over that limit, my usage might become deprioritized (based on present conditions, congestion) but it isn't arbitrarily throttled.

Yes, I know. I was distilling it down it down to people that aren't as versed in these areas

shorts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Points
Morritts Tortuga Club (9 wks) Grand Cayman

And if you purchase a power adapter from Amazon or eBay, you can use that unlimited data on the mobley outside of your vehicle anywhere (house, timeshare, RV, etc) $20 for unlimited data is a pretty good deal!

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And if you purchase a power adapter from Amazon or eBay, you can use that unlimited data on the mobley outside of your vehicle anywhere (house, timeshare, RV, etc) $20 for unlimited data is a pretty good deal!
Oh, yes, of course. Been doing that since March ;-)

And if you peel the secret sticker off the side of the unit you can USB-tether it to the home router ... and voila, it has replaced the more expensive home internet service. (I'm waaaaaay rural with strong AT&T signal. No worries for congestion here.)

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned