• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

anyone invited to buy Echo from Amazon [2014]

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems a lot of buyers of Gen 1 Dots are PO'd at Amazon for releasing a more powerful, cheaper Gen 2 version so soon after release of the first iteration.

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
This is why I didn't answer anyone a couple weeks ago. apologies to anyone who thought I was ignoring them.

We also announced that we're expanding to UK and Germany.

I'm at CEDIA right now but will post more next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew you were working hard to get my request met. Thx :banana:

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I just ordered a white one for our living room. I had two of the original ones ordered but I changed it down to one. The DW said it would have been handy to have one in the living room so that's where this one will go.

I just wish it was all white, rather than having a black top.

BTW, I received an email that said as an early adopter of the dot if I ordered a new one using Alexa I would get a $10 Amazon credit. It might be worth a try if you're thinking you'll order anther one...

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Amazon Opens PreOrders for Everyone for Second Gen Echo Dot With a Crazy Six-Pack Offer - by Anthony Carcz/ Tech/ Forbes/ forbes.com

"Just six months after Amazon’s Echo Dot was announced, it’s getting a second generation.

The device is superficially the same, but once you examine it a bit closer, you’ll see there are a some evolutionary changes. The volume ring that went around the outside is gone, replaced by volume buttons on the device’s face. The bright power LED in the back has been removed, much to the relief of those who were using the Dot as an alarm clock. Oh, and it comes in white to fit in with even more decors...."

White is the new Black.

Richard

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I just wish it was all white, rather than having a black top.

BTW, I received an email that said as an early adopter of the dot if I ordered a new one using Alexa I would get a $10 Amazon credit. It might be worth a try if you're honking you'll order anther one...

I did get that email too so I'll get a $10 credit when it ships. we have a few lights that Alexa operates so this will work great in the living room. We're going to Vegas next week so we'll set up the lights to go on and off. we'll take our Tap and FireTV stick with us too.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Future Just Got Cheaper Thanks to the $50 Amazon Echo - by Todd Bernhard/ iPhoneLife Magazine/ iphonelife.com

"I've been a fan of the Amazon Echo since it came out. Even at $180, it's a reasonable price to pay to experience the future. Amazon's virtual assistant, Alexa, keeps getting smarter and more powerful all the time. So when Amazon released its $90 miniature version, dubbed the Echo Dot, which does pretty much the same thing but has a less powerful speaker (you can connect to an external speaker via Bluetooth or 3.5 mm jack), that became a no-brainer. The result was it sold out and was selling on eBay for nearly $300!

Now, not only is the Echo Dot back, it's available in white as well as black, and it's only $50. What's more, if you want to buy five, you get a sixth one free. You could place an Echo Dot in every room in the house. Unlike the Amazon Tap, the Echo and Echo Dot need to be plugged in to A/C power, but unlike the Tap, you don't need to press a button to get Alexa's attention. You just say, "Alexa." (or optionally, "Amazon") and ask her to play music, control lights, or order an Uber or a pizza from Dominos...."

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Amazon's Rumored Echo Streaming Music Service May Be Coming Soon - by Nathan Ingraham/ Engadget/ engadget.com

"And the company's full-fledged Spotify competitor is rumored to launch in early 2017.

Amazon has offered a very basic streaming music service for a few years now, but it looks like the company is nearly ready to significantly revamp its offerings. An Echo-only streaming music option may be coming in the next few weeks, claims a report from The Verge -- and a full-fledged Spotify competitor that isn't tied to the Echo might be available in early 2017. The Echo-only service would cost $5 a month, while the more expensive $10 per month option would work across any device.

A second report today from AFTVnews contains info showing the service may be known as Amazon Music Unlimited, a boring but logical name. The publication found an Amazon Music Unlimited banner and ad inside the Amazon music app on the Fire TV...."

q:100

Richard

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BTW, I received an email that said as an early adopter of the dot if I ordered a new one using Alexa I would get a $10 Amazon credit. It might be worth a try if you're thinking you'll order anther one...

I received an email from Amazon this morning that my gift certificate had been loaded into my account.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Amazon is running a very rare sale on the Echo today, for $140.39.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Amazon Echo Now Talks You Through 60,000 Recipes
by Jon Fingas/ Food and Drink/ Engadget/ engadget.com

"Allrecipes' Alexa skill helps you cook, even if you're not sure what you want to make.

Believe it or not, there hasn't really been a comprehensive recipe skill for Amazon Echo speakers. Campbell's skill is focused on the soup brand, IFTTT integration is imperfect and Jamie Oliver's skill won't read cooking instructions aloud. Allrecipes might just save the day, though. It just launched an Alexa skill that guides you through cooking 60,000 meals -- and importantly, helps you find something to cook in the first place. You can ask what's possible with the ingredients you have on hand, find a quick-to-make dish or check on measurements...."

Richard

When you're in the middle of cooking, you can pause, repeat or advance steps.

Iwant2gonow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Mountain View at Crown Ridge
I have an echo in my home but I use my son's Prime college account even though he lives in a different state. If I buy him an echo for his residence can we both use the same Prime account to activate his? Will we have separate shopping and to do lists etc when we voice activate these features? Or is what I am trying to do not feasible?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an echo in my home but I use my son's Prime college account even though he lives in a different state. If I buy him an echo for his residence can we both use the same Prime account to activate his? Will we have separate shopping and to do lists etc when we voice activate these features? Or is what I am trying to do not feasible?

I think this will work, as family members can share a Prime account. DW and I share my Prime account and have Echo's at home, in our second home and they just put 'Alexa' on my Fire 8. They all work independently- though I haven't activated the shopping or to-do lists. Why not use A-Z support and ask them. Just follow the 'Help' tree on every Amazon page and have them call you. Piece of cake, and no time on hold.

Jim

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
How do you change Alexa name?

You can change the wakeup name from the app on your phone or tablet.

You need an app to set up the network access the the Echo will use. It is the same app where you change the name you use to wake up the device.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Our daughter received an echo (Alexa) from Amazon for free just before they came out a couple years ago. She was on a list for testing it out. It seems to work very well.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our daughter received an echo (Alexa) from Amazon for free just before they came out a couple years ago. She was on a list for testing it out. It seems to work very well.

If correct (Initially they only issued invitations), she was VERY fortunate. I was in the first group (Nov. 22, 2014) and had to pay $100 and it was still several months before I actually got mine. Yes, it does (still) work well. Amazon has put Alexa in Fire TV and Fire Stick, as well as in the newish Kindle Fire HD8.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
They also upgraded the Firetablet 7 to have Alexa.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I received an e-mail from Amazon that they are selling the Amazon Fire 7 for $33.33. I already have 3 of their tablets but maybe I wil get a couple for my grand children.

I see that it includes Alexa.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received an e-mail from Amazon that they are selling the Amazon Fire 7 for $33.33. I already have 3 of their tablets but maybe I wil get a couple for my grand children.

I see that it includes Alexa.

That's the Cyber Monday price for the 8 gb model w/ads. 3-yr old model. Good deal, but for the better display and faster processor the HD 8 is 59.99. And it's brand new with all day battery power and stereo sound especially built for video.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I moved up to the 8 this year. They had it on sale too and I love it so far. It's easier to type on.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I moved up to the 8 about a year ago from a 6. to me it's the perfect size. DW has a 9-or 10 whatever it is, and it's too big/heavy.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That's the Cyber Monday price for the 8 gb model w/ads. 3-yr old model. Good deal, but for the better display and faster processor the HD 8 is 59.99. And it's brand new with all day battery power and stereo sound especially built for video.

I don't like the 8" as it is too big to fit in my hand comfortably. The ads only occur at startup so it is no big deal.

I don't know what you are looking at but this 7" is not 3 years old and has the exact same processor as the 8" at the same speed. Here is the link. Scroll down and you will see a table that compares them. The Amazon Fire was called the Amazon Kindle Fire 3 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...c20-4a7c-b70f-db6b57eee2cc&pf_rd_i=6669703011

I can buy it today, don't have to wait until tomorrow.