• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

anyone invited to buy Echo from Amazon [2014]

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Amazon's Alexa Now Lets Capital One Customers Manage Finances Using Their Voice - by Paul Sawers/ Alexa/ Amazon/ Capital One/ Venture Beat/ venturebeat.com

"U.S. finance giant Capital One has announced an integration with Amazon’s Alexa-enabled devices, including Echo, that will let consumers access key facets of their finances using just their voice.

Capital One claims to be the first company to let its customers access their bank account through the likes of Amazon Echo, the recently launched Amazon Tap and Echo Dot, and Fire TV. From today, if you’re a Capital One account holder who also owns one of these devices, you can gain access to information in your checking and savings accounts –including available funds, balance, recent transactions — and even pay your credit card bill..."

samuel-l-jackson-capital-one-ad-930x523.jpg

Image Credit: Samuel L. Jackson Capital One Ad

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Radio Broadcaster Hijacks Listener's Smart Home With Amazon Echo - by Aaron Tilley/ Forbes/ Tech/ forbes.com

"Smart homes can be hacked by malicious actors over the internet, but now it looks like radio hosts can hijack your smart home over the radio.

In late February, National Public Radio’s Weekend Edition took a look at Amazon Echo, the Seattle-based e-commerce giant’s tube-shaped speaker. Embedded in Echo is Amazon’s intelligent voice assistant, Alexa. To activate the speaker, users simply have say “Alexa.” From there, users can command Alexa to play music, get the weather, or even control smart home gadgets like internet-connected lights and thermostats. Following that segment, NPR listeners wrote into the program to tell let them know that their Amazon Echo was listening too.

NPR host Rachel Martin explained in a follow-up story:.."

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Amazon Alexa's New Feature Could Be the Best or Worst Thing for Your Bank Account - by Abhimanyu Ghoshal / Home/ Gadgets/ TNW (The Next Web)/ thenextweb.com

"Amazon has teamed up with Capital One Financial Corporation to let you make a number of bank transactions using only your voice with the company’s Alexa-enabled devices like the Echo, Tap and Echo Dot.

Once you’ve turned on the Capital One skill in the Alexa app, you can check your credit card account’s balance, review past transactions, make payments, and get information about your checking and savings accounts.

You can ask questions like:

“Alexa, ask Capital One for my Quicksilver Card balance.”
“Alexa, ask Capital One for recent transactions on my checking account”
“Alexa, ask Capital One when is my credit card payment due?”
“Alexa, ask Capital One to pay my credit card bill.”

Capital One says its transactions are fully encrypted so not even Amazon can see them. The new skill for Alexa also lets you set a custom four-digit security code to prevent unauthorized access.

Though I’m all for making repetitive tasks like paying bills more efficient and convenient to tackle, I can’t help but feel that this could go very badly for some people..."

Richard

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Radio Broadcaster Hijacks Listener's Smart Home With Amazon Echo - by Aaron Tilley/ Forbes/ Tech/ forbes.com

"Smart homes can be hacked by malicious actors over the internet, but now it looks like radio hosts can hijack your smart home over the radio.

In late February, National Public Radio’s Weekend Edition took a look at Amazon Echo, the Seattle-based e-commerce giant’s tube-shaped speaker. Embedded in Echo is Amazon’s intelligent voice assistant, Alexa. To activate the speaker, users simply have say “Alexa.” From there, users can command Alexa to play music, get the weather, or even control smart home gadgets like internet-connected lights and thermostats. Following that segment, NPR listeners wrote into the program to tell let them know that their Amazon Echo was listening too.

NPR host Rachel Martin explained in a follow-up story:.."

Richard

I warned of the possibility of mischief back in post 12. The ability of user produced wake up words would solve this security issue.

Jim

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Amazon Dot Is More Than a Small Echo - by Stacey Higginbotham/ Tech/ Fortune/ fortune.com

"It’s cheaper. And that is its biggest advantage.

A few weeks ago Amazon excited the tech press by announcing two new devices that are a cross between Apple’s Siri voice-controlled assistant and an Internet-connected speaker. Both will join the Amazon Echo in working with its Alexa Voice Service, the “brains” behind Amazon’s speech recognition.

The Dot is a smaller version of the Echo, that plugs in and is always-listening, while the Tap is smaller, and battery powered. That makes it portable, but it also means that a user has to press the Tap to make it listen to voice commands.

The Amazon Dot arrived at my home today, and after running it through the basics, I can say that Amazon has delivered all of the Echo functionality at half the price. And since the Echo is a hit, I’m betting a half-price Echo will be an even bigger win. That’s good for Amazon, but the real question is whether or not the Echo is the type of device that leads people to buy other devices in the family...."

2016-03-31-14-59-40.jpg

The Amazon Echo (left) and Dot (right). S. Higginbotham for Fortune.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
4 Common Amazon Echo Problems and How to Fix Them - by Taylor Martin/ How-To/ C/Net/ cnet.com

"When they work as intended, Amazon's Echo, Dot and Tap speakers are quite impressive and save the hassle of having to whip out a phone to change the color of smart lights or the temperature setting of the thermostat. And the Alexa voice assistant gets more useful the more smart-home devices you add to your collection.

But things don't always go as planned and Amazon didn't create a truly flawless product. Alexa has issues of its own. Here are some of the most common Alexa problems and how to fix them..."

Richard

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
The Amazon Dot Is More Than a Small Echo - by Stacey Higginbotham/ Tech/ Fortune/ fortune.com

"It’s cheaper. And that is its biggest advantage.

A few weeks ago Amazon excited the tech press by announcing two new devices that are a cross between Apple’s Siri voice-controlled assistant and an Internet-connected speaker. Both will join the Amazon Echo in working with its Alexa Voice Service, the “brains” behind Amazon’s speech recognition.

The Dot is a smaller version of the Echo, that plugs in and is always-listening, while the Tap is smaller, and battery powered. That makes it portable, but it also means that a user has to press the Tap to make it listen to voice commands.

The Amazon Dot arrived at my home today, and after running it through the basics, I can say that Amazon has delivered all of the Echo functionality at half the price. And since the Echo is a hit, I’m betting a half-price Echo will be an even bigger win. That’s good for Amazon, but the real question is whether or not the Echo is the type of device that leads people to buy other devices in the family...."

2016-03-31-14-59-40.jpg

The Amazon Echo (left) and Dot (right). S. Higginbotham for Fortune.

Richard
Does anyone know why the Amazon Dot is not longer offered???

I had wanted to get it for the master bedroom for voice control and really liked the small size. I have tap to use outside and Echo for my main living space.
Dot would have been perfect for the MBR

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Echo-Dot-Portable-Bluetooth-WiFi-Speaker-with-Alexa/b?node=14047587011

Sold out
Thank you for your interest in Echo Dot. It is currently sold out. Stay tuned, we're always up to something new. Explore Amazon Echo or other Alexa-enabled products like Amazon Tap.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have the DOT and in retrospect I wish I had just gotten another Echo on Prime Day (but I didn't know about Prime Day). This is because I use it upstairs in my exercise room and husband's office (off the MBR) for music and the speakers (originally for an old computer) I have that I hooked up are not the greatest. I would have rather had the great sound speaker of the Echo. I could buy different speakers, but what is the point then? I would be spending more money.

I originally got the Echo for $99. If I knew I would have wanted two at the time, I would have purchased two. But who knew?

As for the DOT, it does come in handy upstairs, but I am also disappointed because I wanted to also use it as an alarm clock and it does work for that, but I wanted to change the alarm sound and although I have done so on the app, it still keeps sounding the default one. My husband hates the sound of the default one. I asked Amazon about it and they said to reset the whole DOT set up from scratch and I just didn't want to go through all of that again.

I am not sure why they only offered DOT for a limited time, but I suspect they have something new up their sleeve for the future.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I have a dot too and I like it but when I try to use it as an alarm, I have to reset it everyday. When it goes off, I say to turn it off and then it's resets so there are no settings saved.

We use it a lot for other things though so I'm still happy I have it.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I also have both the Original and Dot... I purchased 2 Dots but let my cousin borrow one until her backorder was fulfilled. Well it never was because they stopped production. So she bought the one I let her borrow... I had planned to put the 2nd one in the kitchen. I'm okay without it...

I suspect that quality (or lack thereof) is one of the reasons they stopped Dot's production. Dot's speaker is no good for music, so I use a bluetooth speaker I already had. If I didn't already have a speaker to use, the cost of purchasing a decent one (added to the cost of the Dot) would make purchasing the Original Echo a better option. Also, Dot's microphone is not nearly as good as Original Echo. I keep the Original in my family room and Dot usually lives in my bedroom. This past weekend I temporarily relocated Dot and her speaker to the sunroom... at least 20-25 ft from Original Echo. When the door between the two rooms was opened and I spoke to Dot (I was no more than 2 feet from her) she ignored me, but Original Echo answered in the next room. Even in my bedroom, Dot often ignores me, while Original often perks up even when I'm not talking to her. I think Dot is hard of hearing...

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I've got two originals and a dot. They're all great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have a dot too and I like it but when I try to use it as an alarm, I have to reset it everyday. When it goes off, I say to turn it off and then it's resets so there are no settings saved.

We use it a lot for other things though so I'm still happy I have it.

When the alarm goes off you have to say "Alexa, STOP" . If you say turn it off it "thinks" you mean turn off the application.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I'm in Milwaukee on business but I'll try that when I get back. Thank You.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Deleted by poster]

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’ up for pre-order today and should begin shipping October 20th. For $50, I might have to try one.

My, oh my. Change of heart? They have certainly become more usable since the original announcement. Mine is just a part of the household. I still haven't gotten on the home automation bandwagon, but am considering an Echo compatible thermostat for the condo so I can fire up the A/C before arrival.

Jim

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have a Echo in the bedroom, because it needs to be plugged in 24/7 . I also have a Tap in the kitchen, which I also take when traveling as it is rechargeable and holds an 8+ hour battery life.

I really like both of the items and use the Echo daily, and the Tap when I travel or am in the kitchen. I do wish the tap was voice activated like the echo and not tap activated, but other than that I am really happy with both devices.

I use the Bluetooth option a lot on both units. To play music when traveling, but also to have my Fire device "read" books that I do not have the audio version for. This allows me to multi-task and still listen to books. I do prefer Audible version of books, but I do get a lot of library books that my Fire will read, even though there is not audible version available.

Don't really need a Dot. But interesting to see that are back on production.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
They must have heard me!!!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
As predicted by many, this is a great product and is quite reasonable at $50, and I'm glad to see they reintroduced the product. I suspect this will directly cause consternation amongst Amazon's competitors (and they'll sell a yuuge number!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is why I didn't answer anyone a couple weeks ago. apologies to anyone who thought I was ignoring them.

We also announced that we're expanding to UK and Germany.

I'm at CEDIA right now but will post more next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
My, oh my. Change of heart? They have certainly become more usable since the original announcement.

Jim

More utility, and the Dot is now more closely priced in accordance with it's utility. As you know, I'm not a big fan of compromised technology. It frustrates me tremendously, and it's the primary reason why I don't buy certain companies products.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My, oh my. Change of heart? They have certainly become more usable since the original announcement. Mine is just a part of the household. I still haven't gotten on the home automation bandwagon, but am considering an Echo compatible thermostat for the condo so I can fire up the A/C before arrival.

Jim

I have the Sensi by Emerson. Easy to install and the app works great. I use it to turn up the air while I'm on a trip during the summer or turn up the heat when we're returning form Kauai. Works well with Alexa too.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When the alarm goes off you have to say "Alexa, STOP" . If you say turn it off it "thinks" you mean turn off the application.

I wanted to Thank You for this. I did reset everything for my morning alarm and did just like you said and it works like a charm. I've been using it since I got back. Thanks again. It makes it really useful for me know.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just ordered a white one for our living room. I had two of the original ones ordered but I changed it down to one. The DW said it would have been handy to have one in the living room so that's where this one will go.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the Sensi by Emerson. Easy to install and the app works greatg. I use it to turn up the air while I'm on a trip during the summer or turn up the heat when we're returning form Kauai. Works well with Alexa too.

Yeah, I saw the reviews on that one. It's Amazon's best seller at $105. Compared to the Nest at $250, it's a no-brainer. I just haven't ordered it yet. Thanks for the testimonial.