• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone interested in Live Report from Fairway Villas?

DisneyJen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Aruba - Divi Village (1 fixed week) and The Links (2 fixed weeks); Disney Vacation Club (Points) Home Resort - BoardWalk Villas, and Bluegreen - (Points).
DH and I are spending a week at MVC Fairway Villas in NJ.

We checked in last night. Let me know if you want me to do a Live Report or if you just want me to do a Review.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would enjoy a brief update; only if you have time on your vacation. How does the new villa update look IMO ?
Thanks and please enjoy your vacation time.

lbridge8

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would also be interested in a review. Thanks. Enjoy your week.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I wonder if MVW would sell this property

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
CPNY, interesting question. Marriott stopped managing the adjacent hotel and golf a long time ago. I was there about 12 years ago and the property was fine, but really it was supposed to be for folks who wanted to drive over to Atlantic City. We know what happened there.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Is there snow?

DisneyJen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Aruba - Divi Village (1 fixed week) and The Links (2 fixed weeks); Disney Vacation Club (Points) Home Resort - BoardWalk Villas, and Bluegreen - (Points).
Greetings fellow Tuggers!

Enjoying a rainy and quiet day here at MVC Fairway Villas. We (DH and I) arrived yesterday afternoon after a four-hour drive from our home in Saratoga Springs, NY.

This is our first time staying at this property. We have stayed at Grande Ocean, Surfwatch, Barony, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe and Ritz Carloton Club St. Thomas with the majority of our time at Hilton Head properties.

Of all the properties we have stayed at this one has the strangest layout ... lots of wasted space.

The galley-style kitchen, while has been updated with stainless appliance and quartz countertops, doesn't have enough storage or work space.

The living room doesn't take advantage of the triple windows overlooking the woods and golf course.

Guess we are getting old but it feels like the interior design is more about form than function.

The renovated bathrooms are beautiful ... again form over function as there is a huge amount of wasted space where the whirlpool l tub must have been located.

All that being said ... we love the screened in porch and quiet solitude of our unit.

The staff we have encountered are practicing social distancing while still being friendly and helpful!

Last night we had dinner delivered from Gourmet Italian Cuisine. I had the Seafood Gnocchi and DH had the Chicken Marsala. The delicious and reasonably priced dinners came with bread and a lovely salad. It was delivered promptly.

Tonight we'll have a prime rib we brought with us. I have ordered some items we forgot to bring from home from Target via Shipit.

DH still works remotely so we will tested out the internet/wifi tomorrow.

Let me know if you have questions ...

DisneyJen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DisneyJen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DH reminded me that we stayed at Marriott Seaview many moons ago.

As many know, the Seaview is no longer affiliated with Marriott.

DH and I are not golfers or gamblers so some may ask what is the attraction of this resort. I have no idea other than it being an escape for those of us who live in NY, CT, PA and NJ who are looking for an MVC experience.

We had a week we needed to use so that is what has led us to this location.

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
Just a local dining suggestion for you: https://athenian-garden.com/

Agreed: There are places to visit in the area, but after 18? years of ownership, the MFV mostly serves as a low-key accessible escape for us. We go to relax vs vacation there often, whereas going to the Custom House, next closest MVC for tri-state folk, requires a greater commitment to (two, for my family) hotel rooms vs villas, and pricey parking to boot.

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Restaurant suggestion if you like seafood: http://oystercreekrestaurant.com/ (Love it personally year round...)

We are owners there and have been there most times of year, though we dont necessarily use our week when we go and dont always go for a full week... Some suggestions depending on the weather (we have done some/most of these in more pleasant weather): day trip to Cape May for trolley tour, shopping, lunch or dinner; Philadelphia daytrip for sightseeing, lunch, show, etc.; Atlantic City for outlet shopping, meal, show or boat ride (only in nicer weather); nearby boardwalk walk, bike ride Ocean City; Absecon Lighthouse; Renault Winery/resort. This last was wonderfully renovated over last few years and we had a really lovely outdoor lunch there last summer (we had done wine tasting there many years ago and had dinner there as well, both pre renovation).

Fairway Villas and as mentioned Custom House - are both great MVC getaways for us these days - as both are easy to get to for a long weekend or more. Enjoy your time there!

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
MFV was the first timeshare that I bought and we paid developer prices about 15 years ago. That said, I don't have negative feelings because it opened the doors to understanding what timeshares were really about and how to maximize via TUG. I've purchased at other resorts via resale since then and we have stayed at many others that we've really enjoyed via II exchange. The first 7 years we owned MFV was before we found TUG and learnt to optimize our weeks usage. But since then, we've really received a large amount of value from our ownership and we have many valuable memories from our vacations.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

mpizza

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for offering a live review, always interested in what’s happening at Fairway Villas.

Any update on use of the former Red Door spa space?

Is the adjacent hotel open for drinks? Dinner in the pub room?

Nearby Smithville is quaint with unique shopping and a wonderful restaurant, the Smithville Inn.

Maria

DisneyJen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good morning all!

Thank you for the restaurant and activities suggestions.

Oyster Creek is definitely on our list of places for dinner this week.

Looking forward to the National Wildlife Refuge and Smithville once the rain stops.

When we arrived on Saturday evening the parking lots here were packed. Looks like a lot of folks were here for a weekend as there aren't a lot of cars in the lots.

Seaview's Dining Room is open. It looked very busy when we drove by Saturday. Not sure about the pub room.

We took a swim and used the whirlpool last night before dinner. Strange to walk through the long hall to the pool. I am guessing was the spa space was to your right as you enter the building. The Juice Bar was closed. Not many people in the pool and everyone was socially distanced. Mostly families were enjoying the pool.

We are really enjoying our low-key get away. Our first vacation in more than year because of Covid.

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, forgot about Smithville, very quaint and fun to walkaround and yes, good restaurants - both Smithville Inn and the more casual Fred & Ethels... I also forgot about the Cape May to Lewes ferry, which was fun to take with bikes during nicer weather for a meal and another fun day trip...

I am also interested in any update there might be on the (missed) Red Door Salon!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Looking forward to the National Wildlife Refuge and Smithville once the rain stops.

Recent sightings at Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
MFV was the first timeshare that I bought and we paid developer prices about 15 years ago. That said, I don't have negative feelings because it opened the doors to understanding what timeshares were really about and how to maximize via TUG. I've purchased at other resorts via resale since then and we have stayed at many others that we've really enjoyed via II exchange. The first 7 years we owned MFV was before we found TUG and learnt to optimize our weeks usage. But since then, we've really received a large amount of value from our ownership and we have many valuable memories from our vacations.
Marathoner, I'm wondering if you could share some of your experience with MFV ownership getting you "a large amount of value". We have also owned at MFV, for 18.5 years. We now just use it as points to extend other stays or add in a shorter beach stay. The MF to DP ratio is the worst in the portfolio, I believe. I have been so tempted to sign it back over to Marriott, but just never do. Are you using it for II exchanges and still getting great trades out of it? We used to do that, but haven't for the past 5+ years.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marathoner, I'm wondering if you could share some of your experience with MFV ownership getting you "a large amount of value". We have also owned at MFV, for 18.5 years. We now just use it as points to extend other stays or add in a shorter beach stay. The MF to DP ratio is the worst in the portfolio, I believe. I have been so tempted to sign it back over to Marriott, but just never do. Are you using it for II exchanges and still getting great trades out of it? We used to do that, but haven't for the past 5+ years.

I really meant that I get great value out of my other Marriott weeks which can lock off and Worldmark membership that I've purchased resale.

Yes, I only do II exchanges with MFV and I don't elect points for my week due to the poor point value as you've noted. With II, I don't feel that MFV is an albatross around my neck as it appears it is for you.

Here are my last several years of II exchanges that I've received with my MFV week: 2BR Streamside Evergreen in Jan (twice), 1BR Custom House in July (twice), 3BR SurfWatch in Aug, 2BR Aruba Surf Club in Aug (twice), 2BR Grande Ocean in Aug

In all of these II exchanges, I actively sought out these locations and it was not a case of settling. So, I did receive value. It would have been even better if MFV could lock off but c'est la vie.

DisneyJen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good evening all!

DH and I were just talking about how welcome we have felt at MFV.

The weekend crowds have left ... we feel like we are the only folks on the this floor (third) in this building (Breakers) in a good way.

The staff, from Housekeeping to Security to Pool Attendants, have done a great job of making me feel "normal" even though I have a disability and use a service dog to live my life. Such a small thing to some but a large thing for folks like me.

DH got the phone call yesterday to earn extra Bonvoy points if we did an Owners Update ... Needless to say we passed!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
How was the internet/wifi for work during the week?

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
We’ve stayed at MFV often this school year, typically utilizing 4 smartphones, 5 laptops, and iPad in our villa, and the connection is decidedly slower than our nominal 1gig Fios at home. It also lags during dialed in meetings/classes, but maybe it wouldn’t be so pronounced if we weren’t so device heavy?

I know that they performed some internet upgrades here in the fall (we’d be forewarned the day before by written notice) taking the system down for a few hours at a time, and we also experienced an outage of a few hours a few weeks back, but for the most, everyone is gets their work done, and is able to listen to music and/watch videos (no real gamers here).

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if MVW would sell this property
I don't have any inside knowledge but I could see them parting ways with this property, the rest off Vail and Legend's Edge (I own a week there) at some point as a starting point. I think they've already proven they're willing to do so including properties they built. I don't think any property is off the table if they push back at MVC management too much as we've seen both Aruba Ocean Club and Beachplace with some risk of separation in the past. Whether it'll happen is anyone's guess but the idea that any one property is too important or that something that was purpose built won't be on the cutting block is simply false IMO, esp if the BOD goes head to head with MVC.

Last edited:

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
I don't have any inside knowledge but I could see them parting ways with this property, the rest off Vail and Legend's Edge (I own a week there) at some point as starting points. I think they've already proven their willing to do so including properties they built. I don't think any property is off the table if they push back at MVC management too much as we've seen both Aruba Ocean Club and Beachplace with some risk of separation in the past. Whether it'll happen is anyone's guess but the idea that any one property is too important or that something that was purpose built won't be on the cutting block is simply false IMO, esp if the BOD goes head to head with MVC.
Its possible. I hope not. I like the property. It's a great getaway spot for weekenders from NY and Phil. I have use it for several weekend stays over the years.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, MFV still has some buildable locations on the property. If Marriott were to part with the property to someone else then who's to say that they can't (or won't) construct year 'round condominiums or apartments in those undeveloped locations ?