• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone having luck renting timeshares this summer?

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone is having any luck yet renting timeshares for this summer or fall/winter. I have had a few inquiries, but no definite rentals yet. Any one else doing better, and if so, where are things renting?

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
I just rented mine... at slightly below maintenance fee.
It was a late July relisting for a renter who wanted to cancel out. I had no offers for a couple months and finally a low offer.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think people are still looking for ocean front at drive to locations.
Non beach locations still have various amenities and/or area attractions closed or limited or just less desirable for those still looking to social distance.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No in fact just the opposite. I had 4 days of my week in Banff rented and the people cancelled last week. I doubt Americans will be able to travel here anyways as I think the border will remain closed. The good news is my husband and I can use it as it is just over an hour from home. In a perfect world I would rent 3-4 days of it and cover most or all of my maintenance fees and we would use the rest.

R1964

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Holiday Club
Rented Aruba for November

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
No success but mostly because I haven't tried very hard.

I have a fixed week at Pine Acres Lodge on the Monterey Peninsula. Start date is June 14 but the resort canceled almost two weeks ago. I had a renter for that one. I had a May fixed week in New Orleans but they let me do an in-house exchange.

Most of my renting would be at Wyndham resorts and the current policy with respect to guests is such that I can't be 100% certain I can get a guest checked in. Opening dates for resorts has been vague as is the status of resort amenities -- pools, lazy rivers, hot tubs, fitness centers, restaurants and snack bars, etc.

I have a number of reservations at places that are popular in the spring but can be oppressively hot and humid in July and August. When I feel comfortable putting them up on listing sites, I will. I have tons of reservations in October-December (made with points returned from cancelling April-June reservations).

One other thing keeping rentals slow is that people are being cautious about going out. Despite being antsy after being home-bound for weeks/months, people are a bit afraid of stepping out. As hinted above, beach places probably do better than places inland. Plus, a lot of people are unemployed.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
DP: Not a timeshare but a drive-to short term vacation rental in a popular mountain area. Filled up summer schedule with higher covid rates in only a few days after opening up the calendar on AirBnB/VRBO:

Last edited:

swditz

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate palace wk 52
briarwood cape cod wk 30
surfside cape cod wk 41
falls at Ogunquit wk 21
discovery beach wk 7
captains quarters wk 38
65000 inn season points
I have a week 52 Orlando I won't be using this year. Check in is Friday Christmas day. I am thinking of renting but would changing the check in to Saturday the 26th and check out on Jan 2nd be more appealing? If it doesn't rent I will role it into 2021 but I don't need another week next year!

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I have a week 52 Orlando I won't be using this year. Check in is Friday Christmas day. I am thinking of renting but would changing the check in to Saturday the 26th and check out on Jan 2nd be more appealing? If it doesn't rent I will role it into 2021 but I don't need another week next year!

I have the same week in New Orleans -- check in on Christmas Day, check out on New Year's Day. Nobody want to check out on New Year's Day in New Orleans!

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Successful Redweek rentals June / July at Marriott Crystal Shores, Marriott Oceana Palms, Marriott Ocean Pointe and Marriott Legends Edge all booked using 120 day holding points after cancelled Redweek reservations between March and May.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own lots of time at Massanutten VA and Williamsburg VA. I noticed that Massanutten is opening now, so demand is back to normal. Williamsburg is slower to re-open so interest is still very low. Massanutten is a mountain resort, so it should be a safer environment. There is more distancing. Both are also driving destinations, which should help as well.

I also have a homeexchange set up for July. Like TUG, doing member to member transactions seem safer to me rather than trusting an inexperienced AirBNB owner or dealing with Craigslist people.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I've had surprising success renting most of my summer beach weeks
I didn't think people would be ready to travel so soon. These are fixed weeks in Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Panama City Beach, Jersey Shore. Jersey Shore rented pretty quickly and before I got around to removing the ad, I had a couple more inquiries. I still have a couple east coast beach weeks in August that haven't rented yet, but I'm hopeful.

I would always tell my family and friends that I work to travel... but I've been unemployed/under-employed for just over a year now, since my 25 yr IT job (working remotely) was outsourced offshore last summer. Now I'm working/training for a completely new career path. Therefore not a lot of traveling in my near future. I'm renting weeks I would have been using myself. So COVID made my situating a little bit scarier than it already was... because without the rentals I'd really be in trouble... possibly defaulting on maintenance fees next year. I have had to reschedule/deposit a couple New Orleans weeks I had for this summer. But overall, things are going well so far.

Reactions: Tia

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
Successful July Maui Marriott rental however, the person is now asking for a refund due to the July quarantine. The rental agreement states that Covid 19 is a foreseeable risk and not grounds for refund.

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Well, this thread seems to be the perfect place to ask this question - and I am asking as someone who has never rented any of their TS resources.
So as a complete newby to renting and one who really does not want to mess with the gory details any more than I have to, can someone please recommend an idea on how to pursue renting our TS assets?

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Successful July Maui Marriott rental however, the person is now asking for a refund. The rental agreement states that Covid 19 is a foreseeable risk and not grounds for refund.
On June 1, Hawaii extended the 14-day mandatory quarantine for out-of-state visitors through July 31.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Too bad I deposited my Gatlinburg weeks early with RCI. People are flocking to the mountains because so many of them are within easy driving distance.

Sheila

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains

In a normal year, I would think the 26th would be better. I made the mistake once of driving to Florida on the 26th and the traffic was the worst ever. Looked like the snowbirds spent Christmas Day at home and then headed south. All lanes full of motor homes and campers.

I don't think people would want to go home on New Years Day either.

Sheila

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, this thread seems to be the perfect place to ask this question - and I am asking as someone who has never rented any of their TS resources.
So as a complete newby to renting and one who really does not want to mess with the gory details any more than I have to, can someone please recommend an idea on how to pursue renting our TS assets?

Go to Buying, Selling, & Renting Timeshares and look at the last line highlighted in red -- How To Rent Your Timeshare.

47vampire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
I normally had no trouble renting my 2 Myrtle Beach weeks but both cancelled. One 4 th of July week and other renter has a special needs child and the child pool area is closed. Just felt it was limiting. I refunded them, banked some of it and made my 10 day reservation for my family. Can't wait. We would normally travel out of the US but not this year.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like an answer also. I had a broker, who took 30%, but 30j% was taken from cleaning fee also so I did not get much, and would only get two days rental out of a prime week. I have some more weeks, and would like to come close to helping pay maintenance fees.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers! I was able to rent about half of my summer weeks. (One of my summer resorts is in a beach area, the other in a mountain area.)

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am super surprised that bbodb1 and rapmarks have never tried renting your timeshares. Your both so active and helpful on TUG. Through years of renting both my floating weeks contracts and my Wyndham points I have used alot of venues. Of course the most important thing is to have a rentable location during high traffic times. Im listing order of least favorite to most favorite. Redweek, Vacationtimesharerentals.com, TUG, myresortnetwork.com, VRBO, Ebay, Airbnb,Craigslist. Airbnb and Craigslist work well for my Wyndham Points Rentals. I know a lot of people won’t use Craigslist As there are more scammers and phishing going on there. I’ve been doing it long enough I can pick those out. Airbnb and VRBO,EBAY are more time consuming as far as ads and registration. I’ve seen scammers on VRBO,Airbnb maybe a newbie would not recognize . The good news is once you written an ad you can use it again and again from your files. Also with Airbnb,VRBO, EBAY you have to factor in their percentages. I’ve only lost money once in all the years I’ve been renting as I didn’t figure my percentages correctly. I’m thinking it was 50.00. Both VRBO and Airbnb have made rentals more difficult the last few years as they are requiring permit numbers from certain cities. I’ve found a way through AirBNB around that, but not with VRBO.
I feel some owners are not realistic in what they think their resorts are worth to rent. Especially this year. It’s better to break even or lose a bit then to eat the week. I try to remember in everything I sell IT ONLY TAKES ONE BUYER. Ive turned a few Daytona weeks over to rental agencies for bike week and done great. This was not one of those we take a percentage companies. They asked me what I wanted I told them they got me more than I expected and must have kept their profit out of a higher rental. The only times I’ve let a resort rent a week for me Has been when I’ve had a personal connection with the employee.
Renting takes time and effort. I’ve mentioned before that Travel/ Timeshare is my hobby. I wouldn’t be exaggerating if I said I spend a min. of 2 hours daily no matter where I am working on my Timeshare Portfolio Rentals.

Reactions: bdh

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Rented about 1/3 of my weeks, really were at my MF cost. SBP is usually a success for rentals. I am hoping to do better next year.

We rented our weeks at Hono Koa right before the shutdown of the island, and so that was successful, but I tend to rent it for under MF's and taxes, which drives Rick nuts. He knows it's tough to rent a generic resort for $1,950 for the week, even if it is 35 feet from the water. He still makes a comment each time. Our friends are renting it next year, and it should not be at a loss.

We own Wyndham points. Wyndham has not been cooperative with guest confirmations, but that may change at some point. So many points to roll over to next year. It could be really bad for us. At least we can drop some into RCI.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have posted my rentals on tug and no inquiries at all

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
I am super surprised that bbodb1 and rapmarks have never tried renting your timeshares. Your both so active and helpful on TUG. Through years of renting both my floating weeks contracts and my Wyndham points I have used alot of venues. Of course the most important thing is to have a rentable location during high traffic times. Im listing order of least favorite to most favorite. Redweek, Vacationtimesharerentals.com, TUG, myresortnetwork.com, VRBO, Ebay, Airbnb,Craigslist. Airbnb and Craigslist work well for my Wyndham Points Rentals. I know a lot of people won’t use Craigslist As there are more scammers and phishing going on there. I’ve been doing it long enough I can pick those out. Airbnb and VRBO,EBAY are more time consuming as far as ads and registration. I’ve seen scammers on VRBO,Airbnb maybe a newbie would not recognize . The good news is once you written an ad you can use it again and again from your files. Also with Airbnb,VRBO, EBAY you have to factor in their percentages. I’ve only lost money once in all the years I’ve been renting as I didn’t figure my percentages correctly. I’m thinking it was 50.00. Both VRBO and Airbnb have made rentals more difficult the last few years as they are requiring permit numbers from certain cities. I’ve found a way through AirBNB around that, but not with VRBO.
I feel some owners are not realistic in what they think their resorts are worth to rent. Especially this year. It’s better to break even or lose a bit then to eat the week. I try to remember in everything I sell IT ONLY TAKES ONE BUYER. Ive turned a few Daytona weeks over to rental agencies for bike week and done great. This was not one of those we take a percentage companies. They asked me what I wanted I told them they got me more than I expected and must have kept their profit out of a higher rental. The only times I’ve let a resort rent a week for me Has been when I’ve had a personal connection with the employee.
Renting takes time and effort. I’ve mentioned before that Travel/ Timeshare is my hobby. I wouldn’t be exaggerating if I said I spend a min. of 2 hours daily no matter where I am working on my Timeshare Portfolio Rentals.
What a great post @jules54 ! You had me until the 2 hours per day yikes....do you mind sharing how many properties you have in your rental portfolio to necessitate the 2 hours a day?