• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2019 ] anyone has stopped paying maintenance fees, what happened ?

chaparrusa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vacation village at bonaventure , sheraton vistana orlando ,
i am trying to get an answer from someone who has actually stopped paying maintenance fees , so unless you are the one , please keep speculation to yourself .secondly i am referring specifically about HOA fees , NOT mortgage payments that i completely understand the consequences . help will be appreciate it
thanks

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I keep track of this. Out of 11 instances in which owners reported back, 7 got reported to credit agencies with about a 50 pt drop. If you’re not planning on making a huge purchase with credit in the next 7 years, might be worth to stop paying MF. To help others in TUG, do post your result or PM me.

chaparrusa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I keep track of this. Out of 11 instances in which owners reported back, 7 got reported to credit agencies with about a 50 pt drop. If you’re not planning on making a huge purchase with credit in the next 7 years, might be worth to stop paying MF. To help others in TUG, do post your result or PM me.
sure , that would be something really helpful for most , i appreciate your response . i though more people would respond to it , is there an option to re-post as i can see how newer post would get the most attention which leave some under the radar . right timing .

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
sure , that would be something really helpful for most , i appreciate your response . i though more people would respond to it , is there an option to re-post as i can see how newer post would get the most attention which leave some under the radar . right timing .
You can always quote your own post then add [bump] to put it at the top of the thread queue. As an aside, each system or resort HMO has their own criteria on how they deal with delinquencies. For instance, one of mine charges $75 reinstatement after an owner becomes delinquent- of course that's assuming they intend to keep using their unit. Anotherof mine gives the owner the option of paying one year's MF and be scrubbed from the owner rolls. I see that you own more than one TS, so whatever answers you may get are unlikely to be applicable to one, the other, or both. Point is, if you want to default on your MF, DO IT and find out for yourself what happens. To assume that what happenned to another TUGger would necessarily be how your HOA would deal with you is purely hypothetical.

Best Wishes.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
unless you are the one , please keep speculation to yourself

Most people here pay their mf. People that don't pay their mf are usually posting about what will happen if I don't pay mf scenarios. So for most of us here it is speculation.

I pay my mf but have called a few resorts to ask what would happen if I didn't. None of the resorts I talked to were willing to tell me it was ok to stop paying the mf and all of them said this could go to collection. "Could" means probably, imo.

Bill

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Most people here pay their mf. People that don't pay their mf are usually posting about what will happen if I don't pay mf scenarios. So for most of us here it is speculation.

I pay my mf but have called a few resorts to ask what would happen if I didn't. None of the resorts I talked to were willing to tell me it was ok to stop paying the mf and all of them said this could go to collection. "Could" means probably, imo.

Bill
Happens so infrequently that I keep track of it.

chaparrusa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can always quote your own post then add [bump] to put it at the top of the thread queue. As an aside, each system or resort HMO has their own criteria on how they deal with delinquencies. For instance, one of mine charges $75 reinstatement after an owner becomes delinquent- of course that's assuming they intend to keep using their unit. Anotherof mine gives the owner the option of paying one year's MF and be scrubbed from the owner rolls. I see that you own more than one TS, so whatever answers you may get are unlikely to be applicable to one, the other, or both. Point is, if you want to default on your MF, DO IT and find out for yourself what happens. To assume that what happenned to another TUGger would necessarily be how your HOA would deal with you is purely hypothetical.

Best Wishes.
thanks

chaparrusa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
thanks a lot i have looked at two of the links already but i will review all of them .

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Tuggers are people who enjoy timesharing and therefore pay their maintenance fees. However, we do get your question often from visitors, but those are generally people who post a few times at most and then disappear, because they want to get rid of their timeshare - not participate on a forum for timeshare owners.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@TUGBrian are you surprised that I track TS owners who reportedly don’t pay MF and whether their credit was affected afterwards?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
nope! you certainly have made a crusade out of collecting all sorts of extremely useful info here on the forums to share with others!

I for one appreciate it and find it fascinating.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stopped paying this year (legally).. I had a 20 year RTU; (EOY); not a deeded t/s....I can still timeshare...I just rent owner's units.....No more fees
Smart.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I did rid myself of all my timeshares. I was successful giving them all away except one. After multiple tries unsuccessfully to rid the last one, I stopped paying the MF. Here’s what happened:

1. I received multiple letters from them. They were left unopened and stamped Return to Sender. This went on for 2 years.
2. After 2 years, I received a certified letter from a law firm which I opened. The letter said that if I don’t pay in 30 days a non judicial foreclosure will happen. The laws of the State made it anti deficiency or all they can get is the timeshare.

Well it happened. I checked the County Clerk and yup it was gone 4 months later.

No Credit issues, no timeshare. No problems.

I still believe you do everything you can to rid yourself of the timeshare properly by giving it away and even paying transfer fees first. Forcing foreclosure should be your last resort out of courtesy for other owners who end up footing the bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I should add the worst hassle I had was dumping RCI. I stopped paying their fees years ago and they still send me letters. They say I’m still a member and demand membership dues which I am not. They still hassle me to this day and I just ignore them.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did rid myself of all my timeshares. I was successful giving them all away except one. After multiple tries unsuccessfully to rid the last one, I stopped paying the MF. Here’s what happened:

1. I received multiple letters from them. They were left unopened and stamped Return to Sender. This went on for 2 years.
2. After 2 years, I received a certified letter from a law firm which I opened. The letter said that if I don’t pay in 30 days a non judicial foreclosure will happen. The laws of the State made it anti deficiency or all they can get is the timeshare.

Well it happened. I checked the County Clerk and yup it was gone 4 months later.

I still believe you do everything you can to rid yourself of the timeshare properly by giving it away and even paying transfer fees first. Forcing foreclosure should be your last resort out of courtesy for other owners who end up footing the bill.

Thanks for letting us know. Would you state or Pm me the name of the Ts company? These stats are helpful for any Ts owners in similar situations.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)

Key sentence:
The laws of the State made it anti deficiency or all they can get is the timeshare.

Which state?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Frankly, I plan never to buy a timeshare again but if I was, I would only buy in States where they have non judicial, anti deficiency laws like Florida.

Even though I believe one should do their very best to rid a timeshare by giving it away first, the non judicial, anti deficiency laws really help if you must stop payment to force foreclosure.

That’s why I think timeshare companies are finally havingdeed back programs. They see that all one has to do in these non judicial, anti deficiency states is to stop payment and force the timeshare down their throats. Florida, as one state, has a lot of timeshares.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Tuggers are people who enjoy timesharing and therefore pay their maintenance fees. However, we do get your question often from visitors, but those are generally people who post a few times at most and then disappear, because they want to get rid of their timeshare - not participate on a forum for timeshare owners.

Gee, I’m the exception. I have no timeshares but enjoy the community here...people here are clever, outspoken (in a nice way), respectful and post interesting things.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Frankly, I plan never to buy a timeshare again but if I was, I would only buy in States where they have non judicial, anti deficiency laws like Florida.

Even though I believe one should do their very best to rid a timeshare by giving it away first, the non judicial, anti deficiency laws really help if you must stop payment to force foreclosure.

That’s why I think timeshare companies are finally havingdeed back programs. They see that all one has to do in these non judicial, anti deficiency states is to stop payment and force the timeshare down their throats. Florida, as one state, has a lot of timeshares.

Is it the state you live? or the state where the TS is located? you had shared a list of those states once. Can you provide that list again?

I believe in Nevada it only applies to a primary home, so it would not work for a timeshare there, correct?

How would this apply to points trusts? I would presume that the TS company lawyers would home all of their points trusts in a state that doesn't have this law. This would be akin to incorporating in Delaware because it is the most corporate friendly state.

But I believe the MVC and Vistana land trusts are based in Florida. So one could walk? Or would this require unwinding all of the deeds to states that apply a trust?

Last edited:

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your resort won't take it back, there is a bargain forum here where u can give it away. Depending on what resort, season, cost of main. fees per year, you never know, someone may take it. There are many bargains here that are snapped up depending on those factors

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Is it the state you live? or the state where the TS is located? you had shared a list of those states once. Can you provide that list again?

I believe in Nevada it only applies to a primary home, so it would not work for a timeshare there, correct?

How would this apply to points trusts? I would presume that the TS company lawyers would home all of their points trusts in a state that doesn't have this law. This would be akin to incorporating in Delaware because it is the most corporate friendly state.

But I believe the MVC and Vistana land trusts are based in Florida. So one could walk? Or would this require unwinding all of the deeds to states that apply a trust?

Foreclosure laws are applicable wherever the timeshare is located. You living in another state does not matter.

From what I know, incorporation in another state does not absolve the timeshare laws to where the timeshare is actually located. It’s like you having a vacation home in California, the real estate laws in California apply regardless of where you live or where you incorporated. The advantage of incorporating in another state only applies to corporate law and income taxes. Property taxes are a local right.

Yes, I understand in Nevada, non judicial, anti deficiency laws apply to only primary residences.

The list is here:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-foreclosure-works-30066-2.html

Remember: A state can have non judicial rules but still allow deficiency judgements. You have to take anti deficiency laws state by state.

Last edited: