• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone familiar with Long Beach CA?

EvelynK72

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will be heading to a meeting at the Long Beach Convention center and have a choice of two hotels (the 3 closest to the Convention center are sold out at the convention rate). The choices left are the Hilton and Courtyard by Marriott. Both say they are 4 blocks from the convention center, but in different directions.

Is anyone familiar with Long Beach and these hotels? On Tripadvisor, I read that this area can be rough and was wondering if the walk from one hotel was any safer than the other. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Evelyn

labguides

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I felt safe walking from the Convention Center to the Aquarium during the day. There is a mini amusement park across from the Convention Center, which is busy at night. Personally, I would not walk that area at night, but I don't walk any neighborhood at night.

Sorry, I cannot help with the location of the hotels you mentioned.

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
EvelynK72 said:
I will be heading to a meeting at the Long Beach Convention center and have a choice of two hotels (the 3 closest to the Convention center are sold out at the convention rate). The choices left are the Hilton and Courtyard by Marriott. Both say they are 4 blocks from the convention center, but in different directions.

Is anyone familiar with Long Beach and these hotels? On Tripadvisor, I read that this area can be rough and was wondering if the walk from one hotel was any safer than the other. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Evelyn

I was in the area during mid January for a convention myself and stayed at the Hilton. The hotel was very nice and about 4 blocks from the convention center. However, it is four LONG blocks. I wouldn't recommend walking. It would be best to take a shuttle if they are provided or even a taxi.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
I asked my sister who is a long-time Long Beach resident for her opinion. This is what she said:

The area being rough is hyperbole--just use common sense. The Hilton is a nicer property, while the Courtyard by Marriott is closer to a larger variety of restaurants.

Glorian

aregee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed at the Courtyard with a bunch from my office. It was no problem and was about a four block walk to the Center. To get to the Center, follow the street; do not start to hike steps; the entrance is on street level a little further along. Walk along the harbor in the back for some pleasant sights and sounds.
Also, I received a lower rate for the room by going to the Marriott web site than by booking through the "convention" page of the conference. See if they can give you a room that looks over the harbor. I got to see the Queen Mary every morning. Enjoy.

EvelynK72

TUG Member
Reaction score
happy ending

Thanks for all the helpful information. Turns out I made reservations at both the Hilton and the Courtyard by Marriott with the idea of choosing one over this weekend. Meanwhile, I continued to search the conference website to see if someone would cancel a reservation at one of the closer hotels (Westin or Hyatt). My timesharing searching skills and patience paid off. :) Sure enough, Friday evening a reservation for the Hyatt appeared and I quickly booked it! The Hyatt is connected to the Long Beach Conference center, so we are really close to all the events. Now I'll just have to cancel all the other reservations I made so some other conference attendee can have a room.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions.

Evelyn