• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone ever hear of the "Timeshare Board Law Group"

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
So this week I received a proxy solicitation for the uncertain election at KBV. The solicitation was from a "company" called the "Timeshare Board Law Group" with a listed address of 645 4th Street - Suite #205, Santa Rosa, CA 95404.

I was going to chuck it, assuming it was just another of those timeshare exit scams I get mailings from all the time. But it was clearly marked as "Important Notice and Proxy Enclosed", so I opened it. As expected, it was a proxy solicitation from the SaveKBV.org group.

Now being a google fu expert, I googled them....

no search results.... hmm

Ok.... let me go to California business search website the CA Secretary of State maintains. The envelope has a postage mailing permit, so I figure they must be an established business.

https://businesssearch.sos.ca.gov/

nope... nothing there either.

Last, but not least, I figured I would use Google maps to see what the business looks like. Below is the photo. I assumed that since it is Suite #205, that is likely the 2nd floor:
upload_2019-12-8_12-38-48.png

Ok - no worries. It is just a business that is using a fictitious business name - these names typically only have to be registered at the local level - so I will likely find some info on the Sonoma County website.

http://sonomacounty.ca.gov/CRA/Clerk-Recorder/Fictitious-Business-Names/

But nope nothing there either. Jo Jo's Resturant & Sushi Bar is there (their bento boxes are 5 star according to Lisa S.).

Now before the pundits jump in with their faux moral outrage, I do want to point out that there is nothing untoward about any of this. But procedurally there are some gaps in their proxy strategy. Because they are having proxies sent directly to Brian from the owners. Which is not the way HOA elections are supposed to be run. The correct process here is get the signed proxies (not some on-line petition where anyone can fill out) to call the special meeting for the purpose of recalling the directors.

Here is what our by-laws say about special meetings:

upload_2019-12-8_13-9-16.png

Nothing in that provision authorizes the members (or the plan manager) to decide where a special meeting will take place. That power rests entirely with the BoD.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
So Eric - please enlighten us - who did you send your proxy too? Wyndham or Owners?

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Denise - have you drank so much of the SaveKBV.org kool-aid that you can only see things in a binary black and white fashion? There are more than the two binary choices you offer.

Because there is a middle ground in this battle, with people like me who are gravely concerned about the future of the resort once the tug of war is over and the cost of the battle. People who want a viable plan for the future and do not believe that "hope is a plan". For not every member is trying to relive the 60's and join the "stick it to the man" crusade to restore Trish & her entourage's vacations in Hawaii.

And not that it is really of your business - because it is rather transparent what you are implying and how you are seeking to impune my opinion because you do not agree with it.

But since you have asked, and in the interest of polite discourse - I assigned my proxy to Jack.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We already know that - that was the last election: What about the current election? I guess you could sit it out and not submit a proxy, but that doesn't seem productive.

Remember: Emotions are a good servant, but a poor master.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As I read the bylaws, proxies are good for 11 months.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
. . . But since you have asked, and in the interest of polite discourse - I assigned my proxy to Jack.
Aloha Eric (and everyone else),
I appreciate your vote of confidence. In this particular instance - i.e. for this particular "special meeting" - I have no plan to attend.
If you want your vote counted, you might want to submit a new proxy. I have already submitted my proxy to Brian.
FWIW, even if the recall succeeds, I do not necessarily expect the current contract award to Wyndham to be reversed (pragmatic reasons having to do primarily with insufficient time for challenges)
I do believe that it would be in the interest of all owners to have an independent board oversee Wyndham's performance.
Jack

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jack - thanks for letting me know that.

And I would agree that having an independent BoD overseeing Wyndham's performance is appropriate. The only thing I would want to add is that they are "unbiased". Which is the problem with the course we are on.

I am completely confident that if the SaveKBV.org slate of directors is seated, we will just be signing up for a lawsuit against Wyndham to invalidate the contract plus other litigation. One that will likely be lengthy and divert funds from the upgrade efforts that are needed at KBV. And as the saying goes "the only party that always wins in a lawsuit is the lawyers".

Given that a lawyer is leading the proxy battle at KBV, I think that proves the point. Which is why I probably received a mailing from the fictitious "Timeshare Board Law Group", and not SaveKBV.org.

Because the former certainly sounds like someone is spinning up a law practice.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The court filing shed a little light on this topic:

upload_2019-12-8_16-40-25.png

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As predicted - suddenly a website pops up.

https://timeshareboardlawgroup.com/

And yes, for those playing along at home..... this does appear to be the Robert M Bone of SaveOVI.org/Olympic Village Inn fame.

Last edited:

Aurelius

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Robert Bone took my case when no others showed interest. He has been tenacious in dealings with adversaries, finding solutions, and working towards these solutions. He is responsive and always stays in touch.

"I highly recommend Robert Bone."

Trish Harrington

Aurelius

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like Robert Bone is on the board for OVI. Seems like there is an undisclosed tight connection between GPR and the SaveKBV/SaveOVI groups, and this Timeshare Board Las Group was created to hide that.

GPR has an obligation to follow the direction of the board of directors. They absolutely should have consulted with the BOD before sending any notice of meeting, and ensured that the BOD chose the location as required. Instead they set the meeting at a location convenient to their pal that just gave them business at another resort.

For those painting GPR as the honest company and Wyndham as the evil empire, this seems more and more like GPR is the management company conspiring against their own board of directors in order to retain the business and make more money. The former directors are aligning themselves with this company. Seems like everyone is getting their hands dirty in order to “win”.