• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone ever been stranded in a hurricane?? Could be happening to us!!!

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
As my other post mentions we are currently at Frenchman's Cove leaving tomorrow afternoon though a tropical system is supposed to come through as we will be leaving...could very well strand us!

We just received notice that there is not generator power in Frenchman's Cove and the storm is likely to produce widespread power outages. That being said we might very well be stuck in a villa with no power. They are offering rooms at the Frenchman's REEF (they do have a generator over there) for the "discount" rate of $180. They have only 80 rooms blocked out for that rate.

That actually surprises me...since we are using our weeks and its not our fault they have no generators I would think as a courtesy they would give us a free room. Kinda like switching our villa out for a room. Oh well...hopefully we get the heck out before the storm hits!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We were in the Bahamas during hurricane Floyd in 1999. We were staying at the Marriott resort, now Wyndham. The place was on lock down. Doors were anchored shut and only one restaurant was open. The phone was out much of the time and we would either have power or water, but not both. The hotel staff treated it as it was not a big deal even though it was category four. They were putting people up in our hotel from Atlantis as it was farther off the ocean. While the weather was no fault of our own, we were given MRP as consideration for the troubles.

Personally I think they should be putting you up in the hotel for no additional cost as if there is a loss of power you will have no backup. By the time power goes out, the option of moving won't be there because the weather will be to bad. They probably also have a lot of cancellations so there should be plenty of rooms but that may not be true.

Last edited:

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at the Atlantis (Royal Towers) when Floyd was approaching in 1999. We left the island on the second to last flight before they closed the airport. Later I read that they moved everyone left at Atlantis (guests & employees) into the ballroom. People slept on cots until the storm left. It sounded miserable!!

When we left the computers were down and they said they'd mail us a final bill. Our bill was the amount I expected, but I always wondered if they billed those guests who spent a night or two in the ballroom.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
We were evacuated from the Canada House (Pompano Beach, FL) thanks to Fran in 2004. The resort staff knocked on every door passing out evaculation orders and offers for rooms located away from the coast.

We worked with both the airline and rental car agency for an immediate departure from Orlando. It was an interesting experience ... toll roads were free, rest stops were crowded with livestock trailers, everyone was "heading out." Quite a memory.

Best wishes for a safe and smooth evacuation!

geekette

Reaction score
We were just almost in this situation - Hurricane Norbert in Baja. We did leave on time and get back home just last Saturday night. We lucked out that Norbert tracked more north, and was only category 2. But it was a tad creepy for us, given how few paved roads there were and the tendency for them to wash out (we'd already had that experience, so were thinking we'd be bunking in the airport...).

figure out what your options are - at what point you decide to stay or go. and how to go - fly, drive away from the storm to higher ground, or what. Definitely talk to resort management about their plan. I had high confidence in our concierge and front desk staff so would have had no qualms in following their lead, had it come to it.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
One word: Trip insurance... If you had trip insurance it would cover your additional hotel costs, etc... Also, consider that you might not be able to fly home right away. Or nothing could happen and you'll have a GREAT trip. Hard to tell with hurricanes. Good luck!

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is very good advice. When ever I go on a cruise or a land trip to the Caribbean anytime from July to August ( I've never been there from August to November), I always buy trip insurance. I've never had to use it but it's great knowing it's there. Look on some cruise boards for great recommendations for inexpensive trip insurance.

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
... toll roads were free, rest stops were crowded with livestock trailers, everyone was "heading out." Quite a memory.

QUOTE]
Reminds me of my drive to SE Fla Christmas 1989 during the big freeze. They closed Rt 95 in Florida from Jacksonville to Daytona because of black ice. Also closed around Savannah, GA. Everybody slept in rest areas or school gyms. After getting back on 95 around Daytona Christmas Eve, the Highway Patrol was waving everybody on and you could go Autobahn speeds, limited only by the Canadian RV's heading south that couldn't go over about 80mph. It was 21 degrees Christmas AM in WDW, and that was up 15 degrees from the day before in Daytona! Yet another travel adventure where everybody survived with a story to tell.