• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone been to Porto and Douro Valley, Portugal? (2016)

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If so, I have some specific questions, especially about driving into and parking in Porto - trying to plan an itinerary. Thanks!

lynne1956

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's our itinerary

We're going to Portugal next month for 2 1/2 weeks. We fly into Lisbon on 4/23. We have a timeshare in Cascais (Hotel Vila Gale Village) for a week, then drive to Evora for 2 nights. From there we'll make our way north, hopefully seeing Tomar, Batalha, Alcobaca, & Coimbra in short succession. Then we do a few nights in Pinhao & Regua to see the Douro Valley before ending up in Porto. I plan to give the car back either in Regua (& take the train to Porto) or outside of Porto so we don't have a car there. We fly back from Porto on May 9th.
It will be a whirlwind trip-there are so many places I want to see in Portugal, & so little time!
I'll let you know how it worked in May!
Lynne

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lynne. Looks like we'll be criss-crossing each other with some overlapping time with each other! We're starting in the Algarve, ending up in Cascais, same timeshare, with a week in between for Porto and Douro Valley.

Originally I thought we'd spend a couple of nights in Porto, but today I decided we should stop in Aveiro for a couple of nights on the way north, where there are some scenic canals and lagoons ... park the car at our hotel there, and make a full day trip into Porto by train, it's about an hour away. Then after those 2 nights, head towards Pinhao and points east. This will spare us the stress and hassle of inner-city driving, parking, luggage schlepping etc. It's less time in Porto but mostly I wanted to see the river area, and take in an old town walking tour, and I think we can do that in a day.

That's today's idea at any rate. Hope I'm not short-changing our time in Porto, so I may keep reading. After Aveiro, I've got us booked into a house in a vineyard above Pinhao for 3 nights, and then 2 nights at a quinta near Foz Coa Archaeological Park which we want to visit at the end of the Douro Valley. There are so many possibilities, obviously we can't do them all. I could come up with a different idea by tomorrow of course.

I think we're going to keep our car during our week at Cascais, are you? We'd have the option of turning it in early, but I have it booked til the end of our stay, imagining we'll use train into Lisbon a couple of times and then do other things. I've hardly started planning that last week yet.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
We'll be in Portugal and northern Spain in May as well.

The original plan, when I first arranged this trip many moons ago, included a visit to Belgium (Brugges and Brussels). But after the Paris terrorist attacks, and all the news reports that Brussels was a terrorist stronghold, my wife refused to go to Belgium. So I salvaged this trip by switching to a Portugal and Spain itinerary.

After this morning's terrorist attack at the Brussels airport and in the city of Brussels, my wife gets to say "I told you so."

maddistrong

Reaction score
If you have a car, you'll also have more choice over which wine estates you pop into for tours and tastings, although you'll need to be very careful not to drink much if you're the driver. It will also give you the freedom to discover some of the Douro wine villages. I really love that place and I can visit it very often.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
We stayed in Porto for 18 nights last march. Lovely Airbnb, reasonably priced, a bit out of city center, but with metro across the street. Walks to restaurants were a bit long and somewhat hilly for these old legs, but my wife made it. Loved The city. I would not take a car there, though. Prices generally less than in Spain...so the lowest in Europe, as I understand it.