• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone at Marriot Desert Springs Villas Recently ?

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a reservation next week at Marriott Desert Springs Villas 1 and was wondering what is open and what the pool situation is? Is access to the hotel pools still available?
Thank You

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was at DSV 1 in March just as Riverside County was moving from the Purple Tier to Red Tier, so they were starting to slowly ease restrictions. No access to the JW Marriott pool until further notice is what we were told.

Here's the status of other amenities at the resort just updated today. Looks like they're doing reservations for pool seating as of April 1st.

https://hub.vacationclub.com/properties/marriotts-desert-springs-villas

We still had a great time and enjoyed our stay at the resort. Hope you enjoy your visit!

GrampaTim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Seapointe
We were there last summer ... hot but otherwise wonderful. They had a great reservation system for all of their pools, and grouped people for seating by the size of their party. People grouped in the pool also. They handled it beautifully, and the pool we used had a snack bar running that we enjoyed. We used the pool every day. The suites are very comfortable and if you enjoy walking, you'll certainly be able to do that. We went with our daughter's family, so we had two adjoining suites, and 8 people. We were always able to be together at the pools.

When we went, the large hotel that adjoins this property was closed, but it might be open now, in which case there are some facilities there you may be able to use.

We found the staff, at the front desk, housekeeping, the little store and grill, and the pools, were all very friendly and really made an effort to maximize everyone's stay at the property.

The whole desert community is filled with many great places to dine. All are pretty careful because the hospitals, at least then, were reaching max capacity. There are also some fun shops in Palm Springs. I'm sure they can tell you what is open in the area. We tend to spend several days, to a week, in that area each year and are never bored.

I hope you have a great time.

seenett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any more insight as to why the JW Marriott pools are CLOSED to Villa 1 occupants? I understand everything is reduced capacity and the need for a reservation system (It's worked well when we've been to other resorts in the last year). However, the JW is open, the Spa is open, but Villas I occupants CANNOT access them at all? I really thought this was part of the original master agreement between MVCI and Marriott, written into the ownership. We are Marriott and Westin owners who booked an II Get-a-way for some close friends and their small kids. These kids have been counting down for two months to use that big pool and lazy river. Nowhere do they say access to the JW is now prohibited - even in the link posted above. The main webpage for Villas 1 (which includes COVID updates) says right at the top: "Find your own piece of paradise by one of our seven luxurious outdoor pools or nearby at JW Marriott®Desert Springs Resort & Spa". https://www.marriottvacationclub.co...ds-marriotts-desert-springs-villas/amenities/

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am at Villas 1 this week and was told in advance when I called there was no access to the spa. However, we have been able to use the spa during the week and have been over to the hotel pool in the late afternoon and evening with no questions asked. There is a sign on the hotel pool saying on weekends you have to get a wristband from the front desk, so on weekends they do check. The hotel seems very crowded so I don't think I would want to be at the hotel pool anyway during the day.

The pools at the villas are first come first served with no reservations. We arrived on Monday, so have not tried the weekend yet but plenty of room during the week. The large pool complex is the only one open after 5:00 or 5:30 pm. The exercise room at the villas is by reservation only but had no problem using the exercise facilities at the spa, although only open from 8 am to 1 pm. None of the indoor facilities at the spa are available other than the chinging room and showers.

Nomad1948

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean pointe and grande vista
I was at DSV 1 in March just as Riverside County was moving from the Purple Tier to Red Tier, so they were starting to slowly ease restrictions. No access to the JW Marriott pool until further notice is what we were told.

Here's the status of other amenities at the resort just updated today. Looks like they're doing reservations for pool seating as of April 1st.

https://hub.vacationclub.com/properties/marriotts-desert-springs-villas

We still had a great time and enjoyed our stay at the resort. Hope you enjoy your visit!
I'm taking friends in may but I'm seeing very poor reviews on tripadvisor. Anybody else have current info

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm, not sure where you are seeing very poor reviews. I am looking at tripadvisor for dsv1. I see 1 recent bad review on the first page of them, with 4 perfect reviews. This is my favorite resort (dsv1 or 2) in the MVCI system, I've visited more than half of the resorts. I am not a beach guy though, so, isn't quite so surprising perhaps.

My stays have mostly been at DSV2, been there around 30 times, always loved it. I see a couple bad reviews, one sounds believable the other does not. A few reducing their rating as apparently they blame DSV for the pandemic and limited activities.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recall seeing a post a few weeks ago that masks were required at DSV while lounging at the pool. I'm not sure whether that is still the case, but that would be a deal killer for me. I suggest checking to see if that policy is no longer in place.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was at DSV1 last week. Masks are required when walking to/from and into the pools, but once you sit down there is no requirement. All the pools are open with employees to control the number of people and clean chairs. Usually spent time at the pool behind the check-in area and never had a problem getting chairs. The Palmeras pool is open till 8:30 pm, and crowded, other pools 5:00 PM. There are no organized activities. For the gym, you need to make a day of appointment. The shuttles are on-demand, not on a regular schedule. Staying at DSV! we were allowed access to the spa/gym Monday-Friday. None of the indoor amenities other than showers/locker rooms were open at the spa. Don't know if could use the pool at the hotel. During the week the gate was not locked and no problem using the pool, but don't know if that was a one-off. Restaurants in town are buys, so if there are special places you want to go make reservations in advance.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We're going to DSVII in a few weeks. I'm told I can call ahead to request a unit type and such. Does anyone have insight on which is better - ground floor or upper floors? Do the ground floor units have a larger patio area, or are they likely the same as balcony space on upper floors? Any specific ground floor units to request? We'll be four adults checking in on a Friday, so lounge time together over a weekend will be key. Guests leave on Monday, so it's just us two the rest of the week. Any suggestions?

Dave

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Here's a few thoughts for you. It sounds like your balcony/patio area is an important consideration.

1. DSV1 and 2 both have 2 story buildings. There are no elevators. So up versus down decisions sometimes boil down to whether you are willing to carry your luggage up.

2. Upstairs balconies are not covered, downstairs patios usually are. So think about the sun and the temps during your planned stay and what time of day you'll be outside. My wife is a very light sleeper, and prefers upstairs because of that. Breakfast on an upstairs balcony is great, and also evenings, but we're not sun worshippers and are usually not out there during mid-day in the hotter months. Exposure may make a difference to you as well. For example, a west-facing patio will of course get sunnier and warmer later in the day.

3. I've always thought that the architect who designed DSV2 did an excellent job of placing the buildings around the golf course and the water features. So do you have a preference for your balcony/patio view?

4. For many people, proximity to a pool is important. But if you are adults only with no kids, that may be less of an issue.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Here's a few thoughts for you. It sounds like your balcony/patio area is an important consideration.

1. DSV1 and 2 both have 2 story buildings. There are no elevators. So up versus down decisions sometimes boil down to whether you are willing to carry your luggage up.

2. Upstairs balconies are not covered, downstairs patios usually are. So think about the sun and the temps during your planned stay and what time of day you'll be outside. My wife is a very light sleeper, and prefers upstairs because of that. Breakfast on an upstairs balcony is great, and also evenings, but we're not sun worshippers and are usually not out there during mid-day in the hotter months. Exposure may make a difference to you as well. For example, a west-facing patio will of course get sunnier and warmer later in the day.

3. I've always thought that the architect who designed DSV2 did an excellent job of placing the buildings around the golf course and the water features. So do you have a preference for your balcony/patio view?

4. For many people, proximity to a pool is important. But if you are adults only with no kids, that may be less of an issue.

Thanks for the great info.

So I presume patios and balconies are the same size? If so, then all in, based on your information, I'd say upstairs in a north- or east-facing unit would be good. "Best view possible" would be the only view preference. We're not golfers, so there is no specific course view that would matter. We'd like to be near a pool and barbecue, but as there won't be any kids, it's not a deal breaker.

Based on that, do you have a building or unit number that you think would work well for us?

Dave

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite views are the ponds, often with ducks. For me, that's buildings 628, 753, 737, 426, 488, 566, 539, 475, 419, 375. And I don't like the buildings facing close to Cook St.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at DSV II twice and for the 2nd stay I was given a room with no view, it faced other buildings. I have not looked at the map in detail but DSV II buildings with no view do exist. We have always had a golf course view at DSV I.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at DSV II twice and for the 2nd stay I was given a room with no view, it faced other buildings. I have not looked at the map in detail but DSV II buildings with no view do exist. We have always had a golf course view at DSV I.

Maybe it was near the activity center? I have never been in one with no view, now I wanna know which building! On your other stay, didn't you get the one with the extra tall dining room ceiling and powered blinds?

Foggy1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe it was near the activity center? I have never been in one with no view, now I wanna know which building! On your other stay, didn't you get the one with the extra tall dining room ceiling and powered blinds?
The first time we stayed at Villas 2 we were in 637 and looked across at 655(?) which would also have had some non-view villas. Another location might be portions of 682 & 745.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No idea where but I don't think it was near anything. On the first stay, Yes! We did and had the best possible golf fairway views.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first time we stayed at Villas 2 we were in 637 and looked across at 655(?) which would also have had some non-view villas. Another location might be portions of 682 & 745.

Wow, interesting. We've stayed more than 30 times there (being an owner), but generally ask for my list of buildings so perhaps that's why I have never seen those views. I seem to always get what I asked for.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Thanks for the great info.

So I presume patios and balconies are the same size? If so, then all in, based on your information, I'd say upstairs in a north- or east-facing unit would be good. "Best view possible" would be the only view preference. We're not golfers, so there is no specific course view that would matter. We'd like to be near a pool and barbecue, but as there won't be any kids, it's not a deal breaker.

Based on that, do you have a building or unit number that you think would work well for us?

Dave
Near a pool? There are four pool areas in DSV2. So, you are always within walking distance from a pool. At the Palmaris pool, there are actually several pools there. If it was me, I wouldn't worry about being close to a pool - - Some times (depending on health and weather conditions) we have taken a car to the pool - - like when it got to 122 F.

BBQs? They are all only one building away or less. With Covid I think that they may have reduced the number of grills open. But as far as I recall, the grills are either next to the building I'm at or one building away.

I own at DSV1, DSV2 and Shadow Ridge Enclaves. They are all great. Easy access to grill and pools.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was at DSV1 a few weeks ago and had requested the first floor in certain buildings (gave about 5 choices) a second floor not in a building I requested. Was offered the first floor but in a building facing the street so declined. On other visits, I was given rooms that corresponded to my choices.