• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any word on Hilton Head closing off tourists?

jeffwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluewater, Southwind, Cottages, Coral Sands, Players Club, Branson, Grandview, Silver Lake, and about 950K RCI points.
I just sent a post that never went through.
DISNEY --- CLOSED
SPINNAKER RESORTS--- all 6 locations CLOSED.
CORAL RESORTS --- 4 locations OPEN for now.

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Walked the beach around lunch time. Very few people compared to yesterday in front of the Barony and the Westin. Since Saturday is a big turn over day, Sunday might be a better way of judging what’s going on. Remember, if you have private access to the beach, as you will at the Barony or Monarch, the beaches are not closed. If you need to access the beach through a public area like Burke’s or Bradley or Islander, sol.

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
Governor today allowing law enforcement to break up groups of more than three. I have a feeling that the sheriff deputies are not thrilled with having to check folks. I think most of the issues will be around Coligny.

Weather was cooler today and cloudy most of the day. I walked the dog after 4 PM. It was pretty empty by the Barony and Westin.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Governor today allowing law enforcement to break up groups of more than three. I have a feeling that the sheriff deputies are not thrilled with having to check folks. I think most of the issues will be around Coligny.

Weather was cooler today and cloudy most of the day. I walked the dog after 4 PM. It was pretty empty by the Barony and Westin.

I don’t imagine they do. Not really what they signed up for and they shouldn’t have the unnecessary close contact either. I wish them the best.

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score

Did the Mayor block a meeting that all the council members wanted?

I practiced socially distancing long before it became necessary so under the best of circumstances I only know what some of my neighbors want. Hardly the best of circumstances now so I plead ignorance as to what people here are feeling about closing down the Island.

Edit: The meeting is now scheduled at 2:00 on Thursday, 3.26.

Last edited:

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score

Did the Mayor block a meeting that all the council members wanted?

I practiced socially distancing long before it became necessary so under the best of circumstances I only know what some of my neighbors want. Hardly the best of circumstances now so I plead ignorance as to what people here are feeling about closing down the Island.

Edit: The meeting is now scheduled at 2:00 on Thursday, 3.26.

Steve - from what I read on a couple of sites, the Mayor apparently declined to call a special meeting and now has scheduled it for Thursday. I would suspect that he didn't want to step ahead of the Governor or the state's medical authorities in making any rash or unsupportable decisions that get tied up in court challenges. As you may recall, the closing of the Outer Banks in SC was by the Governor, not local Mayors. As I started this thread, I'm appreciative of all the perspectives that have come down the line. I forget the name of the place we are booked into but it's on the bay, which I've always enjoyed in part because I get my walk in by walking across the island over to the public beach and back. If only the private beaches are accessible, it would really detract from our stay and something tells me that while they'd let me cancel my reservation, they probably wouldn't allow us to move it to one of the properties that have direct beach access. In any case, that might become a moot point pretty quickly now - we were scheduled for the last two weeks of April. Thanks for reporting your observations.

gsb

Reaction score
Is SurfWatch and GO open or closed ?
As far as I know all the MVC resorts on Hilton Head are open. We are staying at Harbour Point and I haven’t heard anything about resorts closing. Of course that could all change tomorrow.

The Sales Center is closed and amenities are limited.

There aren’t many folks here. On my walk this morning I counted fewer than 30 cars in the Sunset Pointe/Harbour Point parking lot.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Barony still open. Pools open. About 25% occupancy according to front desk. Seems less than that. Only 2 cars in our building's garage!

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
according to a newsletter I just received from our Plantation

• Governor McMaster is requesting all out of state visitors to South Carolina planning a stay of two or more nights are to self-quarantine for two weeks immediately upon arrival.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
according to a newsletter I just received from our Plantation

• Governor McMaster is requesting all out of state visitors to South Carolina planning a stay of two or more nights are to self-quarantine for two weeks immediately upon arrival.
Thanks.

2boysmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a reservation at Grand Ocean for the weekend of the Heritage Golf Tournament. We knew the tournament was cancelled but originally we were told we could still stay in the villa we'd reserved at Grand Ocean. This was part of an Owner Event package. Today I received a call from Marriott Owner Services informing us that we could not come, the reservation was cancelled and the points would go into a holding account.

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
Governor is still resisting shelter in place although Georgia has gone that route. SC is one the few left.

Don't come to Hilton Head.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Governor is still resisting shelter in place although Georgia has gone that route. SC is one the few left.

Don't come to Hilton Head.

Count me as one of the unhappy ones. We're long overdue for getting back after the holidays to our Hilton Head home. We purposely are staying away, staying put here in MA, because we didn't want to put any extra strain on the services that will be needed by residents who have no place else to go. It's been maddening to see the island's local authorities not closing access to tourists (yes, including timeshare owners) as soon as they should have, and seeing the governor with his head STILL in the sand is absolutely infuriating. It's going to be months before we get back because by the time the situation starts getting better in MA, SC is going to be heading towards or just at the start of the worst of what's no doubt ahead.

Again, I fully realize this is a first-world problem, but I'm complaining anyway. Near and dear to me are at least five "essential" workers who have no choice but to go out into this mess:
- two nurses, my daughter-in-law and sister, working on COVID-19 floors in two separate Boston-area hospitals
- another nurse, my niece, working in an ED at another area hospital evaluating presumptive COVID-19 cases
- my son, a nursing home administrator who's dreading the first positive case among his staff and patients
- my son-in-law, working for a medical personnel placement service which is seeing unprecedented, sky-rocketing needs.

And I'm going to keep complaining, loudly and sometimes with language that I haven't used regularly since I was 15, until this is all behind us and we finally have people in charge who will be at least smart enough to listen to the experts when they speak. This is a *@#&$&^* disgrace that should and could have been mitigated long before now.

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
Count me as one of the unhappy ones. We're long overdue for getting back after the holidays to our Hilton Head home. We purposely are staying away, staying put here in MA, because we didn't want to put any extra strain on the services that will be needed by residents who have no place else to go. It's been maddening to see the island's local authorities not closing access to tourists (yes, including timeshare owners) as soon as they should have, and seeing the governor with his head STILL in the sand is absolutely infuriating. It's going to be months before we get back because by the time the situation starts getting better in MA, SC is going to be heading towards or just at the start of the worst of what's no doubt ahead.

Again, I fully realize this is a first-world problem, but I'm complaining anyway. Near and dear to me are at least five "essential" workers who have no choice but to go out into this mess:
- two nurses, my daughter-in-law and sister, working on COVID-19 floors in two separate Boston-area hospitals
- another nurse, my niece, working in an ED at another area hospital evaluating presumptive COVID-19 cases
- my son, a nursing home administrator who's dreading the first positive case among his staff and patients
- my son-in-law, working for a medical personnel placement service which is seeing unprecedented, sky-rocketing needs.

And I'm going to keep complaining, loudly and sometimes with language that I haven't used regularly since I was 15, until this is all behind us and we finally have people in charge who will be at least smart enough to listen to the experts when they speak. This is a *@#&$&^* disgrace that should and could have been mitigated long before now.
Well said. The local hospital only has 90 beds, and we have an aging population. The Executive Director of Second Helpings, where I volunteer, has recommend that volunteers in their 60s, step aside for a while. Since I’m older than my 60s, I’ve cancelled out for for the next two months. There is plenty of food available for those that need help from food banks but limited hours and closing at some of the food banks is making it hard to actually get the food and sundries to the people they usually serve. On 3.31, when I last volunteered, we had over 2500 pounds in the truck and didn’t know where we were going to take it until after our last pickup. Beginning in April, the Tuesday drop off place is limiting their clients to one hour and wants us to drop off before 10:30. This will make it difficult to collect the usual amount of food we can give them.

So, everyone please stay home. We’ll see you when this clears up.