• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any word on Hilton Head closing off tourists?

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score

Now that the Outer Banks has been closed off to tourists, I'm wondering if Hilton Head will do the same? And if so, what happens to our reservation in a few weeks? Difficult times, that's for sure.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Now that the Outer Banks has been closed off to tourists, I'm wondering if Hilton Head will do the same? And if so, what happens to our reservation in a few weeks? Difficult times, that's for sure.

I would assume you will not want to even attempt to go to any reservation. Things over the next few weeks will only get worse. It's nice to think otherwise, but it is smart to now prepare for the worst case scenario.

Make plans now so you won't be left standing with nothing at all.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have a reservation by weeks ownership? Exchange? Points? Cash?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
The town has been very good with updates lately, posting them to https://hiltonheadislandsc.gov/publicsafety/coronavirus/ and their social media platforms. There are links on the bottom of that page to sign up for a subscription service for the latest and most reliable info.

As of yesterday town offices, public beaches and parks are open but all organized recreational activities are canceled. The "social distancing" instruction from state agencies is recommended. They held a Town Council meeting today at 4:00PM and I'm expecting an update any minute now.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Following this one. I'm a deeded week 26 owner in HH.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course, this is all in flux but off-hand it seems to me that a condo on HH would be a fine place to wait this out for a couple of weeks. No crowds, we don't need restaurants to be content so social distancing won't be difficult to achieve except for the occasional need to go grocery shopping, a beach to walk along, clean facilities. The worst-case scenarios have already cost us a theater trip to NYC which would have started today and a planned (and partially paid for) trip to Croatia ending in Italy in the spring. I'm not sure how HH would adversely affect us differently than staying at home at this point as long as we're driving down and not dependent on airlines.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
You cancel your reservation then, you will get your points back in a holding account which you can use up to your points expiration date (perhaps end of year like most). You'll be able to arrange a stay at any point until then, but only 120 days from the date you are making the reservation.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
Following this thread as we have a week reservation toward the end of April. Of course, anything can happen by then.

brego

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are scheduled to be at Grand Ocean, arriving on Sunday. I have been going back and forth on whether to proceed. We will be driving down and our plans were always to just spend time reading, biking, and walking on the beach. We cook for ourselves and plan on bringing most of our food with us. I don't see this itinerary putting us or anyone else at risk but still feel apprehensive about this with everything I am reading and hearing. We too just cancelled an upcoming trip to Europe which was scheduled for May.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are scheduled to be at Grand Ocean, arriving on Sunday. I have been going back and forth on whether to proceed. We will be driving down and our plans were always to just spend time reading, biking, and walking on the beach. We cook for ourselves and plan on bringing most of our food with us. I don't see this itinerary putting us or anyone else at risk but still feel apprehensive about this with everything I am reading and hearing. We too just cancelled an upcoming trip to Europe which was scheduled for May.

Yeah, I can see how you could go either way. I'd likely go if driving. Given you aren't planning any activities that are with lots of other people. We always cook for ourselves too. Whether at home or there, you'll still need groceries either way.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
We just cancelled a trip to Florida for Easter week and I have an extra II deposit that is showing all of the HH resorts right now. HH is drive-able and we'd also probably just chill for a week at the beach anyway. We could bring most supplies down there and occasionally run and get something take-out to help the local economy. I think the risks to us and others aren't any different than us being here but still worried about this getting worse, both public health and government-mandate-wise.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Latest update: https://hiltonheadislandsc.gov/publicsafety/coronavirus/

It looks like there's not supposed to be any outdoor dining: "SC Gov Henry McMaster issued several executive orders ... All restaurants and other food service establishments are mandated to cease all on-premises services. However, such establishments may continue to operate their kitchens for drive-thru, delivery, take-out, and exterior pick-up of food service."

Questions and answers on youtube:

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

brego

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just spoke to the front desk at Grand Ocean. She said that most things are operating as normal at the resort with the exception of hot tubs/sauna being closed and some activities such as aerobics being cancelled due to the size of the group. I did not ask about food service as that is not an issue for us. She was reassuring that there is not a possibility of being kept off the island or being unable to leave. They have had some cancellations but occupancy is at least 50%.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any words from the front desk; will the resort be open the last week in April 2020?

brego

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't specifically ask about future plans. They said that at this point they have no plans closing.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Are there any words from the front desk; will the resort be open the last week in April 2020?

Honestly, whatever they say now is meaningless for a month from now. A month ago, no one had a clue we would be where we are today with airlines operating only 30% of their schedule, hotels at less than 25% occupancy, all cruises shut down, major cities on lock down, all restaurants and bars closed/takeout only, and malls closing down. I don't think anyone can accurately predict what next week is going to be like, let alone next month.

jmmoultn

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at Grande Ocean on Wednesday. Pretty quiet, restaurant and Marketplace were all closed (Marketplace closing may be old news, or it may just be open in Summer). All of the pools and jacuzzis were taped off and closed, and activities cancelled. Staff was great but I think they were frazzled. A lot of empty shelves at Publix. We are happy to get home after a long drive.