• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any Tuggers on the Royal Caribbean cruise Ship

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Royal is among the best when it comes to Cruise issues.. this is why they are the only one I cruise with.. I can't imagine how carnival would respond to something like this but given their track record. I doubt guests would have even gotten a refund..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

It's really all RCCL could do. Compared to the reaction Carnival had to other cruise ship SNAFUs, this showed a proper response.

Jim

PS, still glad I wasn't aboard.

I am not sure why Carnival is getting dogged here. In incidents regarding cruise ships problems, Carnival provided guests similar compensation.

When Carnival had a rash of mechanical issues in 2013;
  • The Triumph had an engine fire at sea, guests received a with a 100% refund, a free future cruise and additional compensation.
  • When the Dream couldn't leave St Maarten due to mechanical issues, guests were flown home for free, received a refund of unused days of their cruise and a 50% discount on a future cruise.
  • When the Legend had to cancel a port of call to return to home port due to slower sailing speed, guest received a $100 on-board credit and half off a future cruise.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why Carnival is getting dogged here. In incidents regarding cruise ships problems, Carnival provided guests similar compensation.

I'm perfectly happy to rag on Carnival. We took my FIL on a Carnival cruise for his 90th birthday. At one dinner, as we waited to place our dessert order, all the waiters danced/led a conga line around the dining room twirling napkins. When we disembarked FIL left a blazer in the closet by accident. We reported the missing item and it's very rare pins he'd been awarded many years earlier. We found no evidence that any effort was made to return it to us/him. Curiously, my wife found all of the old medals on eBay shortly afterward. Due to their scarcity, I'd wager they were the very same medals dad left on that ship.

I am reminded of scenes on TV of people making due, camping on deck with non working propulsion or power for A/C & toilets while they were towed. No extra charge for the adventure. Yes, they were compensated, but the passengers didn't know they would be as the sewage sloshed around the decks and they slathered on sunscreen.

And then there was Concordia. Yes, Costa is just a subsidiary. But that Captain was Carnival trained.

Carnival cruise? No thanks. Not for me. Never again.

Jim

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've taken cruises on most of the cruise lines, and I have to add that we've been pleased with all of our cruises on Carnival except one (4 night out of NO). The food and entertainment was generally very good. Interestingly, one of the cruises that we enjoyed the most was on Costa (Greek Isles); the food was outstanding.

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been on cruises where weather has dictated a change of port. In one case seas were so high that a ship already at dock could not leave and we skipped that port.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
We've taken several Princess cruises, and have been very happy with them. In 2010 we took their Alaskan cruise that started in Vancouver and had a land package from Anchorage to Fairbanks. We like it so much, we'd like to do it again. Late May was a good time to go because the glaciers were calving. Here's some pictures:

https://artringwald.smugmug.com/Travel/2010-Alaska/

Thanx for the suggestions and the pix. How many days was the overall trip with the land package? That looks spectacular! My DH has been to Alaska, his ex-in-laws lived there. He would really like the land package part.

Thanx, Gina

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Gina, I'm sorry if my response to your question came across as a lecture or chastisement. it wasn't intentional. One bad thing about the internet is the inability to translate facial expression or voice inflection to the printed word. Please forgive me.

Now, cruise line recommendations. Each cruise line seems to cater to a certain demographic group. Carnival aims at the young, 'Spring Break' partiers. Holland America seems to aim their appeal to a decidedly older crowd (I chuckled when several scooter riding guests trying to fit just one more scooter into an elevator) NCL aims at independent travelers, Princess, The Love Boats, RCCL & Celebrity, 50-70 y.o., well heeled, well traveled folks. Obviously, there will be a broad cross section of passengers on any of them, but the above are my observations.

Jim

Thanx for the info!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gina, I'm sorry if my response to your question came across as a lecture or chastisement. it wasn't intentional. One bad thing about the internet is the inability to translate facial expression or voice inflection to the printed word. Please forgive me.

Now, cruise line recommendations. Each cruise line seems to cater to a certain demographic group. Carnival aims at the young, 'Spring Break' partiers. Holland America seems to aim their appeal to a decidedly older crowd (I chuckled when several scooter riding guests trying to fit just one more scooter into an elevator) NCL aims at independent travelers, Princess, The Love Boats, RCCL & Celebrity, 50-70 y.o., well heeled, well traveled folks. Obviously, there will be a broad cross section of passengers on any of them, but the above are my observations.

Jim
You are right on point about the differences in the demographic about the various cruise lines. You forgot to mention the family cruise line and that would be Disney.

We cruise Celebrity Cruise Line and the age range is between 50 - 75. I now need to age five plus more years to your range. HA HA!!!!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm perfectly happy to rag on Carnival. We took my FIL on a Carnival cruise for his 90th birthday. At one dinner, as we waited to place our dessert order, all the waiters danced/led a conga line around the dining room twirling napkins. When we disembarked FIL left a blazer in the closet by accident. We reported the missing item and it's very rare pins he'd been awarded many years earlier. We found no evidence that any effort was made to return it to us/him. Curiously, my wife found all of the old medals on eBay shortly afterward. Due to their scarcity, I'd wager they were the very same medals dad left on that ship.

I am reminded of scenes on TV of people making due, camping on deck with non working propulsion or power for A/C & toilets while they were towed. No extra charge for the adventure. Yes, they were compensated, but the passengers didn't know they would be as the sewage sloshed around the decks and they slathered on sunscreen.

And then there was Concordia. Yes, Costa is just a subsidiary. But that Captain was Carnival trained.

Carnival cruise? No thanks. Not for me. Never again.

Jim

Not sure that this same situation couldn't happen on any line. This was a crime of opportunity perhaps by an employee that is paid a low wage and works on tips. All of the main stream lines have the same compensation practices. Not saying that people who earn a low wage will steal, anyone can steal. I can understand your frustration, but you are faulting an entire cruise line and their employees based on what is likely a single employee, and one that probably doesn't work for them any more and could even perhaps now work fora line you are now cruising.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can understand your frustration, but you are faulting an entire cruise line and their employees based on what is likely a single employee, and one that probably doesn't work for them any more and could even perhaps now work fora line you are now cruising.

Ahhh, but while the thief was likely a single employee, the staff of 'customer service', 'lost & found', 'guest relations' either promised that the cabin steward would be contacted, that 'any items found' spend a certain time in a 'lost & found' in case a passenger call or return for them, and that we would be called when the item was located. As far as we could tell, none of the above happened.

While it's true that employee 'churning' in the cruise industry make it possible that the 'bad apple' be employed anywhere, we DO tend to blame the last place it was sighted.

We have simply become used to the ships, routes, amenities, style and perks of Celebrity Cruises, and the 'Spring Break', party atmosphere of Carnival Cruises is not a good fit for us. Had we not tried them, my comments would be groundless. They aren't.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
On the topic of cruise, when is the best time to buy a cruise? 1 year, 6 months, 3 months???

I am not sure there is a best time. Cruise lines are always running some kind of sale. Best price is determined by the time of year you want to travel. Just like in timeshares, there is high and low season and prices reflect that.

Cruise lines do have a time of year that they call Wave Season which begins in January. Cruise lines tend to offer more promos and offers during this time of year. Though if you have a good eye you can find deals just about any time of the year.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the topic of cruise, when is the best time to buy a cruise? 1 year, 6 months, 3 months???

For best cabin selection on popular routes, buy as soon as they are announced- even as much as 2 years out, then as the departure gets closer, if there is a reduction in price, just call the line's customer service line (or your discount T/A) and cancel/rebook at the lower rate. It's usually free.

The alternative on sites like www.vacationstogo.com/ is to look at the '90 day ticker', and book an already discounted cruise departing in the next 90 days. On those, you might just have to put down a $100-$300 deposit, but they have to be paid in full around 45 days before departure.

We've done it both ways.

Jim

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure there is a best time. Cruise lines are always running some kind of sale. Best price is determined by the time of year you want to travel. Just like in timeshares, there is high and low season and prices reflect that.

Cruise lines do have a time of year that they call Wave Season which begins in January. Cruise lines tend to offer more promos and offers during this time of year. Though if you have a good eye you can find deals just about any time of the year.

Thanks. I don't look at cruise or use it often enough to discern what is considered a good price. I guess I will just have to book whenever we decide to make plans.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Y'know that feeling you get on a airplane that nobody on there is paying the same price. That there is some 'magic timing', or secret handshake that gets them early boarding in the first class section while you wait until the concourse empties into your plane and there is no space for a jacket while you smash yourself into a sardine-can size space in coach.

I really don't think cruises are like that. If you book, and prices drop, they are pretty good about cancelling and rebooking your preferred cabin class at the lower rate. CAVEAT HERE- You have to look at the prices, and make the call to cancel/rebook. They won't do it automatically.

This is one of the great things about www.cruisecritic.com/ There is ALWAYS someone looking out for lower prices, better deals on shore excursions, meal and drink plans. In short- like TUGgers look out for great deals in timeshares.

Cruise Critic is for cruises. TUG is for timeshares.

Jim

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure that this same situation couldn't happen on any line. This was a crime of opportunity perhaps by an employee that is paid a low wage and works on tips. All of the main stream lines have the same compensation practices. Not saying that people who earn a low wage will steal, anyone can steal. I can understand your frustration, but you are faulting an entire cruise line and their employees based on what is likely a single employee, and one that probably doesn't work for them any more and could even perhaps now work fora line you are now cruising.
When royal had a ship go inoperative, the evacuated passages, carnival didn't want to spend money to do so.. Hensel the sespool. . When things go right, both lines are great, but if things go wrong, one is much better at handling it..

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
When royal had a ship go inoperative, the evacuated passages, carnival didn't want to spend money to do so.. Hensel the sespool. . When things go right, both lines are great, but if things go wrong, one is much better at handling it..

While I can't speak specifically to whatever incident you are referring to. This article from a 2014 incident in Galveston indicates that Carnival kept their passengers much more informed of the situation than Royal Caribbean did.

I think perhaps you are referring to this story from 2013? Looking at those photos of damage from the fire, evacuating people from the ship made sense. It doesn't seem that people were evacuated at sea. The ship made it to Freeport where people were flown home. The situation with Carnival breakdowns at sea made it a rather difficult endeavor to evacuate people. This RCCL ship made it to a port, the situation with some Carnival ships is that they broke down at sea. Much easier to tow the ship back to shore and probably would take the same amount of time as it would to take people off at sea. How long would it take to evacuate 3,000 passengers 10-12 at a time (at most) of a ship by helicopter?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We have cruised three of the major lines; Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. We like each for a different reason. Celebrity is probably at the bottom of the list though. We sailed Celebrity out of San Juan and found the food and service to be lack luster. Perhaps we would have a better experience from a cruise departing from the mainland. Carnival is a good budget line. You ultimately get what you pay for. We can afford to cruise more when we go with Carnival and we don't feel that we are missing out on something when we compare them to our Royal Caribbean and Celebrity cruises.

We are a couple in our 40s and by no means looking for a spring break party atmosphere and you certainly don't always have that on Carnival. Sure if you pick the 3 and 4 night party cruises, you will find that. Though we have done short cruises out of Port Canaveral, Tampa, and New Orleans on Carnival and have had a great time. We don't run with the party crowd, so we don't tend to notice them. A cruise is what you make of it, want a party cruise and you can find it and have it, though you can still go on those same cruises and have a relaxing time. Other lines than Carnival also have short party boat cruises, so they aren't alone in targeting that market.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Y'know that feeling you get on a airplane that nobody on there is paying the same price. That there is some 'magic timing', or secret handshake that gets them early boarding in the first class section while you wait until the concourse empties into your plane and there is no space for a jacket while you smash yourself into a sardine-can size space in coach.

I really don't think cruises are like that. If you book, and prices drop, they are pretty good about cancelling and rebooking your preferred cabin class at the lower rate. CAVEAT HERE- You have to look at the prices, and make the call to cancel/rebook. They won't do it automatically.

This is one of the great things about www.cruisecritic.com/ There is ALWAYS someone looking out for lower prices, better deals on shore excursions, meal and drink plans. In short- like TUGgers look out for great deals in timeshares.

Cruise Critic is for cruises. TUG is for timeshares.

Jim

Thanks for the tip :) I already have a hard time keeping up with TUG postings, I don't think I have the discipline to look at another forum.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for the tip :) I already have a hard time keeping up with TUG postings, I don't think I have the discipline to look at another forum.

Cruise Critic is TUG on steroids. There is probably 100 times as much activity over there than there is on TUG. Keeping up isn't always easy.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This site was awarded "best legal site" and it covers only the cruise lines. Obviously, the lawyer has an interest in finding fault with various cruise line practices; however, there is an amazing amount of information that gets posted. https://www.facebook.com/cruiselawn... news is about the lines and their practices.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the good cruiselines for people in their 30's, that travel with or without their kids, adventure cruises then standard 7 night ones out of fll or mia, big ship but not the largest ones, not much of a party scene but some activity after 9pm, cheap wifi, and the pool water is clear?

I see some nice one ways on silverseas or holland america cruises. What kind of mix would be on those?

adam

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't think there is such a thing as cheap WiFi on a cruise. Some lines are better, but they are getting internet to the ship through satellite, so it isn't cheap for them and the bandwidth is very limited. If it were cheap it would be unusable.

Some lines have packages that only allow you to access social networking all the way to full video and web browsing.

If you were to go on a HAL or Celebrity cruise, you would likely be the youngest on the ship. I would target Royal Caribbean or Carnival. As much as people here dog Carnival, they are great for families traveling with kids, though they are also pretty good for a couples trip.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the 30ish age group, look at Costa. It's an Italian line, so you get that vibe as well. Many European families use them. They are not 6 star, like Silversea or the like, and the price reflects that. Also, look at Windstar. Quite small, but also quite young and with included water sports.

We like Celebrity, and after 9 there are 3-4 live music venues every night. Yes, you would be on the younger end of the age curve, on them or Holland America.

As stated, there is no cheap internet. It's getting better, but no line has figured out fast, cheap wi-fi at sea. Celebrity gets about $50/day or $350/week for unlimited, dial-up speed wi-fi. But hey, it used to be $.75 a minute.

Jim

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Royal Caribbean's 'Smartship' Avoids a Titanic Situation - by Brett Michael Dykes/ Travel/ International New York Times/ The New York Times/ nytimes.com

"“It’s the most technologically advanced cruise ship in the world,” the Royal Caribbean sales agent told me over the phone when I booked a trip aboard the Anthem of the Seas, the cruise line’s flashy new megaship, reported to be the third-largest cruise vessel ever built. “It’s what we call a ‘smartship.’ ”

There’s a joke to be made here about the ship’s meteorological technology (and the humans tasked with using it) — as by now most people reading this are likely to know that the Anthem of the Seas sailed directly into a dangerous Atlantic winter storm, one that reportedly produced Category 5 hurricane winds and seas, on Sunday, Feb. 7 — but I’ll leave it to others to make the joke.

That aside, when compared with other modern cruise ships, there are a number of unique bells and whistles that do make the Anthem of the Seas stand out in the crowd. Among the notable features it boasts: RipCord by iFly, billed by Royal Caribbean as “the world’s first flight simulator at sea,” offering guests the opportunity to experience zero gravity. The North Star, a glass pod that rises high above the ship to provide enhanced views of the ocean and the tropical locales where the ship ports. Virtual balconies, 80-inch, floor-to-ceiling high-definition televisions in the interior staterooms that display a live feed of ocean outside, guaranteeing that every stateroom comes equipped with at least some sort of view. The Bionic Bar, where cocktails are prepared by “futuristic mixologists,” that is, a pair of robotic arms. Voom, which Royal Caribbean touts is “the fastest Internet at sea.” The Royal iQ app, which allows passengers to do things like book and modify reservations, manage an activity calendar, plan shore excursions, and the like. And the FlowRider, a 40-foot-long surfing simulator situated next to a 30-foot-high rock-climbing wall..."

21CRUISE1-master675.jpg

Royal Caribbean’s Anthem of the Seas departed from Bayonne, N.J. on Saturday, Feb. 6, en route to the Bahamas. Credit Brett Michael Dykes

Richard

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
Royal HAD to compensate. They ignored the NOAH warnings about the storm on Wednesday and sailed right into it on Thursday. I would be hugely p*ssed if I was on that cruise. Yeah you get compensated but you've still blown your vacation time.
Noah? Did he float out his ark?
BTW, they hit the storm on Sunday.
Check your facts.

Last edited: