• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any Tuggers live in Louisville, Ky; Memphis, TN or St Louis , MO? Pros/cons of each

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
DD is in the Coast Guard and is being Attrited out of the aviation program. She is heartbroken because flying is her dream but just had trouble dealing with the stress.

Now she is being reassigned and since she did get aviation out of OCS school, she basically gets to choose out of what is left over and no one else wants. These are probably her top three picks but it's hard without really knowing the areas. If anyone lives or lived in these areas, list what you liked and what you didn't like about each.

Trying to find some positives to help her deal with her disappointment...right now nothing is appealing.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
United States Coast Guard Atlantic Area - District 8 - Sector Ohio Valley

US Coast Guard Sector Lower Mississippi River (SLMR)

US Coast Guard Atlantic Area - Sector Upper Mississipi River (UMR)

This should provide some background information.

Richard

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Richard...Looking more for what the quality of life is in each of those locations.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is Memphis a Good Place to Live?

10 Things to Know Before Moving to Louisville, KY.

12 Things You Need to Know Before Moving to St Louis.

I know you'd like more responses from Tuggers, but this info should help too.

Richard

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Lived in St. Louis from 1978 - 1990 / good metro area - pop. including the Illinois side - about 2.5 million + (see Wikipedia )
- generally liked living there .
Just read the St. Louis link Richard posted & it is accurate IMO .

I am sure many thing have changed in 30 years -but the hot muggy summers remain .
( FYI - not sure if this is relevant when comparing to Louisville & Memphis )

I grew up on Long Island & my wife in Toronto - so every day of high 80’s to mid 90’s / from Mid- June to Mid Sept was the biggest negative .

< Of course : 30 years of November to March winter in metro Toronto .......
has it’s downside .>

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I grew up in Memphis (this was in the late 70's - early 80's) but I have ventured back there many time across the years thereafter - especially as my kids started playing sports.
Like many areas, the Memphis I recall from my era was a far different thing then the Memphis of recent past.

I would NOT live anywhere in or near Memphis today. Just not my cup of tea. The weather is awful during the summer, traffic around the I-240, I-55, I-40 interchanges can be miserable (any big city has these areas to be fair). But the school system is beyond horrible in Memphis (should this factor be important to your daughter).

The largest issue I would cite AGAINST Memphis is the fact the cost to live in decent neighborhoods is very high in Memphis - and there are not all that many of them.

My daugther is in the USCG as well. If she were to somehow be assigned to Memphis, I am assuming she would be at the sector Richard noted above.
Memphis has grown considerably to the east / southeast (Germantown / Collierville) and that action has pushed good neighborhoods further away from downtown Memphis.
Memphis has also grown considerably south too - really enveloping Southaven and Olive Branch MS to the south and southeast.

There are Facebook groups for the USCG with current knowledge of the current living options around ANY CG base.
One good group to start with on FB is the USCG Family and Friends.
Sector Lower Mississippi River also has a FB page.
Asking the current CG members stationed at the respective locations will likely yield your most useful info.

Good luck.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A List of State Income Tax Rates - The Balance.

State income tax rates across America, ranked from highest to lowest.

List of States Where Cities and Counties Levy
Income Taxes - The Balance.

Richard

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m originally from Fayette County which is now part of the Memphis Sprawl. I still spend two or three months a year there and do try to miss the summer humidity. I find a more relaxed atmosphere there. My daughter in her twenties decided to try Southern living for a while and moved to the midtown section of Memphis. Lots to do, friendly people lots of pluses. Yes there are some areas to avoid but thumbs up in general.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I grew up in the Memphis suburbs and went to Memphis State University from September 1964 - December 1966 before transferring to another school for Spring 1967 where I graduated in May1968.

My mother lived in the Memphis suburbs until 2009 when we had to move her to an assisted living place near one of my brothers.

I would not choose Memphis for a place for my daughter to live.

If given the choice, I would choose Louisville over Memphis or St. Louis.

BTW - Topeka, KS has a Coast Guard Payroll Center. Topeka is a great place to live. (I lived there for 27 years.)

Last edited:

dstacy969

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I have lived in the St. Louis metro area (IL side) all my life, with the exception of my 4 years in the Air Force in the 90s. I generally like it. There are a lot of things to do in and around St. Louis (many of them are free). Like any big city, there’s plenty of crime, but that’s everywhere. I’ve only visited Memphis, and never been to Louisville (other than passing through it), so can’t really compare and contrast as far as places to live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Chellej,

Curious, where did your DD decide to be stationed?

Richard

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I lived in St Louis for 20 years. Both my kids were born in Kirkwood. When I was single I lived in the Central West End. Met my wife in an establishment on Gas Light Row (don't know if it is still there today). Lived in Clayton (the hub of St Louis County) for a while. Both were good choices when I was single and newly married. Later as kids were growing up we moved to Imperial a city about 10 miles South of St Lois as my wife grew up in Crystal City which is about 20 miles South of St. Louis right on the Mississippi River. If I were single and working in Downtown St Louis I would choose the Central West End for things to do and an easy commute...

George

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well due to the Covid19 issues, all of the options that she was given were pulled and given to the OCS class billet, it was moved up and they needed those options for the OCS class

She is hoping to hear today or tomorrow , possibly New Orleans or Mobile.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
@chellej - I believe the CG is also under the 60 day PCS freeze. This is not to say she won't hear about her choices, but actual moves are halted for this 60 day period if I read correctly.

The PCS' already in progress when the freeze was issued were allowed to be completed.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Well due to the Covid19 issues, all of the options that she was given were pulled and given to the OCS class billet, it was moved up and they needed those options for the OCS class

She is hoping to hear today or tomorrow , possibly New Orleans or Mobile.
Sounds like both of your kids (unless you have more than the two you've mentioned) and in motion, and in limbo.

Jan S

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I grew up in St. Louis and moved out of state for my husband's job. We travel back at least 5 times a year as we both have very large families. Our kids love St. Louis and our oldest daughter chose to go to St. Louis University because she loved the atmosphere of the area (and because of our families). To this day, her best friends are those from college. The article link above "Here's everything you need to know before moving to St. Louis" is spot on.

I suggest you visit the places you are most interested in to get a feel for the one that would suit you the best. Good luck!!

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@chellej - I believe the CG is also under the 60 day PCS freeze. This is not to say she won't hear about her choices, but actual moves are halted for this 60 day period if I read correctly.

The PCS' already in progress when the freeze was issued were allowed to be completed.
You are correct. She probably won't move until July or August. She is a planner and doesnt do well in limbo. Right now, she is just anxious about where they will be sending her.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are correct. She probably won't move until July or August. She is a planner and doesnt do well in limbo. Right now, she is just anxious about where they will be sending her.
Personally, I would hope for Mobile over New Orleans - but either in July or August is akin to Hades on earth.
Best of luck to your daughter (in all things but especially) with respect to this upcoming PCS!

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would hope for Mobile over New Orleans - but either in July or August is akin to Hades on earth.
Best of luck to your daughter (in all things but especially) with respect to this upcoming PCS!

She grew up in Houston so she is used to the horrid summers but she is hoping for something better than New Orleans