• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

any thoughts on amazing race

Joyce

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are fans of this program and have been watching it since it started. Last night the new season began and we thought it was pretty sad. Don't like any of the couples. They seem pretty weird.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I used to watch it regularly but the Producers have apparently decided that "normal" people won't draw the ratings. Stopped watching it a few years ago when they decided the interpersonal backstabbing should be the focus rather than the travel and stunts. BTW, that's why I never have watched Survivor as that was the basic premise from the start of that so-called show.

Cheers

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Love both Amazing Race and Survivor. The plotting, backstabbing and whatever are what draw me to Survivor. With Amazing Race I just love to see the places they go.

I'm never sure about any of the teams on Amazing Race the first few weeks. It takes awhile for them to grow on me. So I'll reserve judgment about any of them for awhile. Since I've never heard of any of these people to me they are just sort of "normal" folks. I don't like it when they've brought contestants from other reality shows as contestants.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for the head's up that the new season of AR has started. My cable box didn't remember that I usually record the show. I usually follow it, yelling at the stupid things people do, cheering when the mean people get eliminated, and rooting for the good couples. This season is all about social media people, who are certainly less likely to fit into "real" society. Should be an interesting season to watch, even if I don't like anybody.

As Luanne says, the places they go are interesting, even if the people aren't. :)

Dave

Last edited:

Joyce

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are right about the places they visit and the glimpses of culture we see. That will probably rope me in again. I think Survivor is boring now, same old, same old, but I will probably watch that too. At least the shows don't have any violence. That sees to be the norm on T V now. I prefer the comedies.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You are right about the places they visit and the glimpses of culture we see. That will probably rope me in again. I think Survivor is boring now, same old, same old, but I will probably watch that too. At least the shows don't have any violence. That sees to be the norm on T V now. I prefer the comedies.

I agree with you. I don't watch many "regular" series shows these days (Modern Family is about it - smart, funny, and always entertaining.) There are just too darn many channels, plus Netflix and Google TV and whatever else is available On Demand. I'd rather watch a documentary than an edited "made for TV" kind of reality show. I do watch Survivor and Amazing Race, mostly for the scenery, and I don't fall for the "really real reality" shows like The Batchelor/ette or The Apprentice or anything with Housewives in the title. Those shows are just too much of a stretch for me. I agree Survivor has gotten to be pretty formulaic, and the editing makes for some really lame TV. But the scenery is good, and I do enjoy the occasional vote-off blindside. ;)

Dave

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
This season

This is one of our favorite shows. I don't know any of the teams, so seems to be just normal for me. So far the mother, of mother and son, looks like she's going to be one to dislike.

Nancy

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
I've watched Amazing Race for years now ~ love to see all the places they go. Never heard of any of this seasons couples, but it usually takes a few weeks to determine favorites anyhow. The start of the race was definitely different though, not sure if I liked that. We'll see how it goes....:shrug:...

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I've watched Amazing Race for years now ~ love to see all the places they go. Never heard of any of this seasons couples, but it usually takes a few weeks to determine favorites anyhow. The start of the race was definitely different though, not sure if I liked that. We'll see how it goes....:shrug:...

I thought the beginning was odd. I kept thinking that if they all started at exactly the same time some of the teams would have an advantage based on where they were coming from. But it looks like they all arrived at the same time.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I thought the beginning was odd. I kept thinking that if they all started at exactly the same time some of the teams would have an advantage based on where they were coming from. But it looks like they all arrived at the same time.

Just like the typical transit from one place to another in past shows? It didn't take me long to figure out it made little difference when a team left for the next location since the available transportation was limited so usually everybody wound up on the same plane.

I liked that approach since it meant the next leg was competed on a pretty equal basis but it did seem phony that the show made a big deal that a team had a number of hours "head start" even if everybody met at the airport anyway. I suppose I would have liked to be last so I could get more sleep and meet the early birds on the plane. Occasionally it did make a difference but usually not.

Cheers

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I enjoy the many different places in the world that they visit. no comments on the couples drama.

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Joyce-thanks for the post because I had no idea new season started. My dvr doesn't record it automatically because they change the number with each season. My first reaction was the contestants are a little too over the topand attention seeking...and then I found out that Team Tyler & Korey are from my alma mater so I'm watching. One of my few favorite reality shows. I love seeing the countries and their cultures, especially Africa. One of my favorite lines from previous series was a contestant in a small village, who harshly asked a local "do you speak English?" The local responded in perfect English "yes, and do you speak Swahili?"

Last edited:

stonebroke

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A bit Less Enthused

I still enjoy the Amazing Race and enjoyed this past week's offering. I am sure this season is an attempt to grab a younger audience what with the contestants all being social media (youtube, vine, etc) stars (and mostly young). I do applaud that the very first leg was a non-elimination (sorry for the spoiler but it has been 3 days). A bit weird that the prize for winning the first leg wasn't announced.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Joyce-thanks for the post because I had no idea new season started. My dvr doesn't record it automatically because they change the number with each season.

I've found my dvr does pick it up. I just have Amazing Race entered and it seems to find it. :D

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've found my dvr does pick it up. I just have Amazing Race entered and it seems to find it. :D

I'll have to check it out and try again. I don't have any problems with new seasons of Apprentice, Top Chef and Project Runway but seem to have problems with Amazing Race and Survivor with the name changes.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I'll have to check it out and try again. I don't have any problems with new seasons of Apprentice, Top Chef and Project Runway but seem to have problems with Amazing Race and Survivor with the name changes.

Maybe it depends on who your service is with. We have DirectTV. Both Amazing Race and Survivor are in my list with just those names and they always pick up the new season.