• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any recent experience with Abound points transfer?

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
I rented points yesterday from VacationPointExchange.com and the renter says she initiated the transfer yesterday via the online option. I have not received any indication either in my account or from my account email that this action has been initiated. She did not provide email evidence. I understand that the points cannot be used for up to 3 days but was wondering if I should have received any notification that they were in process.

Has anyone had recent experience with this?

TIA, John

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You won't actually see anything until MVC actually completed the transfer. You as the renter don't receive any notification when the owner fills out the form. Did you rent from a verified owner?

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You won't actually see anything until MVC actually completed the transfer. You as the renter don't receive any notification when the owner fills out the form. Did you rent from a verified owner?
I do not know how to determine if the owner if verified. I rented from someone who posted on the site that was not on the list of known scammers.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I do not know how to determine if the owner if verified. I rented from someone who posted on the site that was not on the list of known scammers.
There is also a Verified Seller List in the menu at the top of VPE. Even if not verified, it doesn't mean it is a scam.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is also a Verified Seller List in the menu at the top of VPE. Even if not verified, it doesn't mean it is a scam.
I just checked and she is not on the verified sellers list, but neither am I. I asked her to forward the correspondence that she has received.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I recently rented points from an owner on VPE. The points were in my account in a few hours, but it was a week day. How did you pay them? Who was the owner?

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yeah, I think I got scammed. No response to messages for past 24 hours. She has 3 current ads on VacationPointExchange right now. It wasn't significant money but I paid via PayPal.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looks like I got scammed. Hopefully nobody else got scammed, she has 18000 points listed in 3 different ads. CALMRIVERS9 is the user name. Very responsive email until the money was sent and then silence. So many red flags I should have picked up on. Her paypal address was different than the address she was emailing from was the big one. I reported the user to @StevenTing

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Looks like I got scammed. Hopefully nobody else got scammed, she has 18000 points listed in 3 different ads. CALMRIVERS9 is the user name. Very responsive email until the money was sent and then silence. So many red flags I should have picked up on. Her paypal address was different than the address she was emailing from was the big one. I reported the user to @StevenTing
So sorry this happened, and thank you for reporting and making everyone aware. While nothing is foolproof, I have been successful with verified owners and a long history with TUG.

Also I think Paypal has a refund policy if you use the business category, but not sure if it applies to points rentals.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yea, I have rented points out and in multiple times and love VPE. I should have done more research on this particular seller as the signs were there if I dug a little deeper. Fortunately it was a few hundred bucks and not thousands. Now at least I know of the verified sellers list!

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
They also just registered on VPE on June 12th.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
I just rented from someone and they were there the next day in the afternoon so it’s a fairly quick process. I didn’t pay until they were in my account.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just rented from someone and they were there the next day in the afternoon so it’s a fairly quick process. I didn’t pay until they were in my account.

You didn't pay until they were in your account..... Really?

If that is true then it is the exception and not the rule since point transfer transactions are final.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Impossible to get scammed that way, though it is possible that an owner can get scammed if you decide not to pay. Though they have your real name and such, but MVC won't help the owner in this situation.

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
My last exchange was seamless, but I did it with a verified seller who I have seen on the boards. But before that I had a questionable exchange ( not completed, as name not on verified list, although stated she was, and would not provide personal info.) I asked for references. Also her member since time was suspect.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
You didn't pay until they were in your account..... Really?

If that is true then it is the exception and not the rule since point transfer transactions are final.

Yes it was rare but we had a good conversation on the phone during the transaction and developed trust I guess. The only bad thing was he didn’t get a confirmation email of the request immediately like I thought he would. Only after the transfer was officially done.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, I am a Verified Seller (on the list) although I have not listed any points for sale for a couple of years already. To minimize the risk of getting scammed, buying from a Verified Seller is the way to go. For owners who want to rent out their points, to get on the Verified Seller list is fairly painless and @StevenTing is really responsive in processing it.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lesson learned. I now know of a verified seller list :wall:

Scammer still has 3 ads (I have reported them) so hopefully people are smarter than I am.