• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any reason for My Daughter to buy MVC?

Bill4728

Reaction score
I just read the thread about the guy who bought into the DC but when he tried to cancel was offered hybrid points. and I saw this reply by Fastr
Are your parent's weeks enrolled in the points program? It sounds like they are since you are using their account to search availability. If so, why not just rent whatever points you need using their account. You pay to rent the points and just use their points account as a vehicle to receive the rental points and to book your ressies. By doing that, you get to book using the flexibility of the points program using their account, and be able to do all the things you would be able to do if you owned the points, but you get to avoid the upfront purchase costs. As others have pointed out, if you have a DC account, you can easily rent points (they are plentiful) for basically equal to the cost of the annual maintenance fees, so there are no extra costs on an ongoing basis.

That way, if down the road your lifestyle changes, and the timeshare life no longer suits you, you are out nothing...you just stop renting points.

Its worth a ponder.

So now that we are about to vacation with my DD and SIL I was thinking is there any reason for them to buy into the DC or just do what Fasttr suggested and rent points from current owners using my DC account as a conduit?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I may be biased...but I think it's a brilliant idea. :D

Bill4728

Reaction score
I may be biased...but I think it's a brilliant idea. :D
YES I think so too.

My DD and SIL now both have well paying jobs are prefect for timesharing BUT I really don't want to just keep giving them our DC points / MVC weeks. So if I have them rent DC points thru my account they can pay their own way without any up front expense.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
YES I think so too.

My DD and SIL now both have well paying jobs are prefect for timesharing BUT I really don't want to just keep giving them our DC points / MVC weeks. So if I have them rent DC points thru my account they can pay their own way without any up front expense.

My oldest is fairly recently on his own....just bought a house with his girlfriend (no preaching or advice please ;))..... and as such, is getting into the "vacationing without his parents" phase of his life...and that is exactly what I offered him as an option. Its a no brainer. Affords them the ability to use the system when they want, as they want, with absolutely no upfront cash to get in, and as for the annual outlay in cash, they decide how much or how little to use, and in years they may not desire such a vacation, they have $0 outlay of cash that year... no maintenance fees hanging over their head, etc.

Of course...they are still more than welcome to vacation with the old farts totally on my dime....but I'm sure at least for a few years....that doesn't have the coolness factor it may have once they start having kids and are looking for a built in babysitter while on vacation. :D

Last edited:

Password is taco

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Barony Beach
SVV - Key West
Not that my opinion would carry much weight, but when I read Fasttr's recommendation in the other thread, I thought it made a ton of sense. It's an expensive program to buy into, so having the option to rent through a parent's account seems like an ideal situation for a young couple.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Just pay special attention to Fasttr's post in the other thread where he talks about the buckets of points in your account and how to make sure the points get pulled from the right bucket when you rent the points and then make a reservation for your daughter. You want to make sure you manually select the rented points for their reservation so that the system does not automatically default to using your owned points, which you may later want to bank to next year. As he said in that post, this issue isn't a reason to not pursue this strategy, you just need to be aware of it and make sure the system pulls the points from the right bucket to avoid possible issues later on.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Not only is it a great idea, but renting points in general is a great idea, which is the whole point of the conversation. Renting points is THE great idea.

The mechanism is really irrelevant, but having a family member who has an account is certainly convenient and avoids certain headaches and worries.

Renting points means there is really no permanent commitment (huge buying costs up front and forking out maintenance fees annually), and can be used whenever the urge hits.

There are also no worries about future "getting rid of" purchased points, which currently has many uncertainties.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Renting points means there is really no permanent commitment (huge buying costs up front and forking out maintenance fees annually), and can be used whenever the urge hits.

It's also useful when the urge hits to buy another week.....;)

It's much easier to just go rent the points.

Best,

Greg

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
It's also useful when the urge hits to buy another week.....;) It's much easier to just go rent the points.
Best, Greg

you got me there, good buddy.

or heck, do both, as I'm doing....

I bought another week with 2016 usage, but I wanted to stay there sooner, so I rented points (another system) so I can stay there next month. Good call!!!

"splurges for urges" is the phrase I coined a while back. :D

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
It's an expensive program to buy into, so having the option to rent through a parent's account seems like an ideal situation for a young couple.

Another value added benefit, assuming the parents have Executive or higher status, is the ability for the kids to be able to leverage the parent's status to book 1+ nights at 13 months out (the real benefit of the higher status tiers)...rather than the kids having to wait until 10 months out in order to book 1-6 nights which would be the likely scinario if they just bough into the system themselves at a lower level.

And on top of that, with the higher status comes last minute point discounts. After all, what fun is the system without pulling the Puck Trick once in a while!!!! :D

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO, kids should rent points from their parents first and when the bucket is empty, parents and kids start renting point from M.
Example: 5000 points in the account
kids rent 2000 points (give $1000 to their parents in place of M)
Account remaining is 3000 pts
Parents need 4000 points later (just rent the missing 1000 pts at $500 from M)
At the end of the year, the account is empty and parents have $500 in their pocket.
Otherwise, if kids rent the 2000 pts from M, at the end of the year, it will have a remaining of 1000 pts (5000-4000) in parents account to bank for next year. It should be better for parents to have $500 in their pocket than having 1000 pts prepaid sleeping in their account.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
IMHO, kids should rent points from their parents first and when the bucket is empty, parents and kids start renting point from M.
Example: 5000 points in the account
kids rent 2000 points (give $1000 to their parents in place of M)
Account remaining is 3000 pts
Parents need 4000 points later (just rent the missing 1000 pts at $500 from M)
At the end of the year, the account is empty and parents have $500 in their pocket.
Otherwise, if kids rent the 2000 pts from M, at the end of the year, it will have a remaining of 1000 pts (5000-4000) in parents account to bank for next year. It should be better for parents to have $500 in their pocket than having 1000 pts prepaid sleeping in their account.

One clarification. You can't rent points from Marriott. You can rent them from other owners, which is a little more complicated but not difficult with Vacation Point Exchange.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
YES I think so too.

It may be a slippery slope if they are used to using your weeks and points for free. Now asking them to pony up and pay to rent points may not go over well. You may find they won't vacation as much when that is the case? Or they will just rent hotel rooms or go AI, or cruise?

Cutting them lose and having them buy something to learn the ropes on their own may be the better way to go. Perhaps not buying DC points, but a resale week would be a better option to make them more independent.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Having daughter use your account is a great idea. As pointed out she benefits from your current status. If there's the probability she will inherit your weeks she should get accustomed to working the system. In the long run she may decide she doesn't want to ever own the weeks and the responsibility of managing the accounts. Do her the favor of letting her experience the full picture. If you've always booked the weeks then buying may appeal to them. However, once they see it takes time and energy to manage the weeks well, the purchase may not be so glamorous.

I see no reason why she and SIL should buy their own.

They should have a visual for the full costs of these free vacations. Both monitarily, and time invested. They may elect to use their disposable vacation income in a different direction.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
It may be a slippery slope if they are used to using your weeks and points for free. Now asking them to pony up and pay to rent points may not go over well. You may find they won't vacation as much when that is the case? Or they will just rent hotel rooms or go AI, or cruise?

Cutting them lose and having them buy something to learn the ropes on their own may be the better way to go. Perhaps not buying DC points, but a resale week would be a better option to make them more independent.
It is a slippery slope. I just had to go through it with my MIL. She has been staying with us for years. That was really easy when the kids were young. Now that I have teenagers, sleeping in Grandma's bed is not an option. So she now rents points into my account and books her week that way.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is a slippery slope. I just had to go through it with my MIL. She has been staying with us for years. That was really easy when the kids were young. Now that I have teenagers, sleeping in Grandma's bed is not an option. So she now rents points into my account and books her week that way.

Since you said it's a slippery slope does that mean she now books her week at a time the rest of the family isn't going?