• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any other Thomas Crown Affair fans?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I remember the original with Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway. I also enjoyed the Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo remake. Recently I watched the remake, after not having seen it since it was released about 15 years ago. Reviewing it now I find I absolutely love it. The movie provides a wonderful strong female lead, who exudes brains, power,maturity, and sex, not in any particular order. Rene Russo nailed that part perfectly.

I think that most Hollywood movies who try to play that combination make the strong into somewhat of a caricature of man as regards power. This part hinges on the female being feminine strong, and using that strength to take over that strength to control the situation, even to the end where she decides duty is more important than her heart. (And how often in a Hollywood movie do you see a female role make that decision)

The clip below, of when they meet for the first time but after she has decided he is the prime suspect, really sets the tone, as she completely catches him off guard, drops the bombshell, and the walks away with him not knowing what to say or do.

Pardytime

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, Wyndham
The remake with Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo is one of my favourite movies, and one of the 5 DVDs that I travel with when we stay in timeshares, just in case we have some downtime in the evenings.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
In this case I actually prefer the remake. I know, I know. But I found the chemistry between Brosnan and Russo as so much more believable then the original.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Love the remake - it’s from my era so to speak. Great movie with two great leads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In this case I actually prefer the remake. I know, I know. But I found the chemistry between Brosnan and Russo as so much more believable then the original.
Definitely the remake over the original. It starts with a better storyline. A prank art heist fits the bored tycoon premise much batter than a bank robbery. And both Brosnan and Russo were much better in their roles. McQueen was ok in the original, but most McQueen movies involved a lot of McQueen standing around acting cool.

Brosnan, aided by a better storyline, fleshed out the role much better. Of course, it was his project, and he had a lot of time to think about the movie he wanted to make. But then the inspired casting of Rene Russo! She just walked away with the movie. One reviewer said Russo showed that she shouldn't be getting the parts that Sarandon turns down; Sarandan should be getting the parts that Russo turns down.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The remake with Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo is one of my favourite movies, and one of the 5 DVDs that I travel with when we stay in timeshares, just in case we have some downtime in the evenings.
We leave tonight. It's in my case. In fact, putting it in the case was what prompted me start this thread.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A couple of interviews they did after the release. The camaraderie and friendship that developed between them is apparent.

In the first interview, at about 9:45, Brosnan talks about filling the hollow area inside Thomas Crown, embellishing that element from the original. What isn't said is that their characters are mirror images of each other - Catherine Banning has the same hollow area in her life. I appreciate that they didn't bring that up, because there's always the trope that a woman isn't fulfilled unless she has a man. So kudos, to me, for steering clear of that trap.

I also love the audience reactions to a 45-year old actress providing such a smoldering performance.

Last edited: