• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any other owners being "forced" out of their resort right now?

SandyFatt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a 30 year owner at the Royal Resorts in Cancun, Mexico. I have been here since January 25th. Did not plan on being here this long, but there is no virus here, it does not do well in well ventilated, high temps or high humidity. It is 82+ degrees and the breeze from the ocean is the most ventilation anyone could get. There is a full-time English speaking doctor at the resort and she has not treated anyone for flu or virus. My family and friends who have all stayed here multiple weeks are all telling me to stay rather than returning home where we are on "lock-down" until April 13. The only ones texting and emailing me to come home are those who are afraid to come to Mexico even in good times, or over-reacted when they heard they were "closing the boarder" into Mexico and Canada. They closed the boarder to non-US citizens, physically crossing into the country and I am not driving over the boarder, I am flying in. and I am a US citizen. The Royal Resort management consolidated all of us at the Royal Sands on Wed. and closed the other resorts. They provided us "free" shuttle service here. There are only around 300 of us here, less than 5% occupancy. Some people arrived on Saturday (there were 30 people on their flight from Denver) and 1 person from Cleveland (5 people on their flight). All the services are open at the resort. The resort has daily maid service and is exceptionally clean all the time, but they have implemented even more cleaning processes on top of their normal requirements. They would love to have more guests at the resort and would welcome anyone who wants to join us. I feel badly for the resort employees who rely on their tips for survival. They really count on Spring Break, Good Friday and Easter Weeks for their income. I still have not booked a flight home, I think I want to wait it out until the "lock-down" at home ends. The resort has no plans to close.

Last edited by a moderator:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Did not plan on being here this long, but there is no virus here, it does not do well in well ventilated, high temps or high humidity.
Just to point out, this statement has not been proven by science. We don't really know if it will die off when warm weather comes. We can't necessarily trust the numbers in Mexico yet, because they aren't doing the same level of testing the industrialized world is doing.

bmuller

TUG Member
Reaction score
The government isn't kicking people out of Hawaii - they just don't want us going over there now (and haven't forbidden it, just made it very unattractive). The quarantine doesn't apply to visitors who are already there (although should think that stay at home/resort would). Marriott/Vistana are closing their resorts for lack of business and apparently tossing OP out the door so they can complete the process.
We have been at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (MM1) since 3/14. We are scheduled to stay until 4/1 but heading home tonight as airlines continue to cancel flights. Marriott has actually been very good considering the circumstances. Over our stay, they have gradually reduced activities and access to amenities. Yesterday (3/27) they issued bands to anyone staying here who is not subject to the inbound passenger quarantine and began patrolling the grounds with security. If you are not walking or getting exercise, they are asking you to move along. That's just in compliance with the mayor's order. According to the Mayor's order, the same is true for Ka'anapali Beach. However, the lifeguard that passes by once in a while doesn't seem to hassle anyone. It's pretty easy to socially distance on the beach since most folks have already gone home. We've had no feeling that Marriott is trying to throw us out. It's just that they are strictly enforcing the government's orders. Even the whales are heading home - saw a whole parade of them heading east for the channel a couple of nights ago.

DonnaJ123

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (MM1) since 3/14. We are scheduled to stay until 4/1 but heading home tonight as airlines continue to cancel flights. Marriott has actually been very good considering the circumstances. Over our stay, they have gradually reduced activities and access to amenities. Yesterday (3/27) they issued bands to anyone staying here who is not subject to the inbound passenger quarantine and began patrolling the grounds with security. If you are not walking or getting exercise, they are asking you to move along. That's just in compliance with the mayor's order. According to the Mayor's order, the same is true for Ka'anapali Beach. However, the lifeguard that passes by once in a while doesn't seem to hassle anyone. It's pretty easy to socially distance on the beach since most folks have already gone home. We've had no feeling that Marriott is trying to throw us out. It's just that they are strictly enforcing the government's orders. Even the whales are heading home - saw a whole parade of them heading east for the channel a couple of nights ago.
good for yiu

DonnaJ123

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a Pandemic! The US has surpassed China in cases. It’s time for everyone to get safely home and social distance...no exception! We all have to do our part so that we can get thru this quicker and with fewer casualties.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thx. This area has no SIP unfortunately. I am loving it here, better than if this tourist town is full. Laundry, lots of supplies, stores here all have tp, water, everything but i get them free as you know. Afternoons hiking in the mountains almost alone - today i saw less than 10 people in 3 hours. Issue is my reservation ends day 12 of isolation and they won't extend my stay 2 days. Intercity shuttle ends tomorrow so I can't leave this tourist village.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

At least you made it back into your home country, even if far from home. Stay safe and healthy. Best of luck with those two days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Given much of what we are facing is unprecedented in modern society - I’m not surprised to see the difficulties presented in this thread. From the sounds of at least some folks posting in this thread - you TS for a fair amount of your time per annum and are probably already retired and enjoying the good life. We aren’t there yet since we are only 48 years old but our dream is to TS either full time or for a significant portion of our retirement.

Specific to COVID-19, given there is so much uncertainty ongoing, I think the resorts and the states are also looking ahead and recognize that if existing “voluntary” SIP doesn’t blunt the curve so to speak- the next steps become more draconian. I don’t think anyone is putting words to these possibilities though - because if we did these words would instill even more fear into the populace than is already afoot. I’m referring to full on states of emergency that include martial law (in some form or another) to enforce mandatory as opposed to voluntary SIP orders, and grounding all flights within the country. These are obviously worst case scenarios, but I know they are “on the table” so to speak if/when necessity dictates.

So for those of you who are choosing, on some level, to SIP at anywhere other than your actual home, for whatever sets of reasons - some of which make a lot of sense IMHO - just be aware that if more draconian measures are enacted, then you are essentially choosing to take the risks in scope by staying anywhere other than where you actually live right now as pretty much everyone is saying to SIP at home - not at some other location.

In situations like this during states of emergency - that may mean paying out of pocket - because you are requiring others to take elevated risks to support and minimally staff the resort on some level - and those people cannot stay at home as a result. There is risk inherent in every decision we make. It’s probably also worth mentioning that during states of emergency - individual rights are largely suspended in the interests of serving the greater good (community rights). These concepts aren’t something our nation has really had to embrace and live with since the world wars. So while any one of us may feel that our rights are being minimized - and indeed they are during times like this - there is no time to spend focusing on outlier cases that trample on your individual rights such as those being addressed here - and when push comes to shove - you may lose out in the interests of the greater good - sorry to say. Point being - just be aware that these are the risks any one of us are choosing to take whether we are conscious of them or not. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

As one example, someone in this thread said they are SIP in Hawaii instead of returning to Colorado now, since the risk is lower in Hawaii. The worst case I would be planning for is that the airlines are grounded - and Hawaii implements stricter SIP and requires the resorts to close. What is your plan of this occurs? If you don’t have a worst case plan - that’s the risk you chose to take on inherent in your scenario. This could easily mean you would have to pay out of pocket - potentially for a long time staying at some other location other than the resort - because you would be paying for the elevated risks involved. Some may disagree with this - but that doesn’t mean it’s not real.

I suspect given this is the first real broad based pandemic that we have had to endure for roughly 100 years - we will litigate many changes that need to be made to account for these relatively rare situations - policies will be amended to more clearly set down rules on how the timeshare and hotel industries will react and behave - but for now - the greater good will be the focus of all policies - the 80/20 rule will be solidly in force to protect the community overall - and this entire thread basically falls into the 20% category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly! This is my issue. I could soon be the only homeless person carrying golf clubs.

Lolz, you are golfing in the snow? The pic above is beautiful!

On the 1 hand, closing/sending employees home if there are hardly any guests seems logical, especially since they are all supposed to be socially distancing. On the other hand, don't our annual maint fees cover the resort being open 365 days a year ? (on 2nd thought, the resort budgets do count on restaurant and other income to balance the budget, don't they? Otherwise our annual dues wd have to be higher.)

My resort (TVV in Las Vegas) posted a letter on its website that makes it appear they are open, because it only addresses safety measures and welcomes us to come whenever. However, when I look at the reservation window, the dates are greyed out until 4/17.

Karen

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a side issue with the employees, lay them off and let them collect unemployment under the new stimulus plan. Saves the home resort on employment costs. As taxpayers, well that is an entirely different issue and I am not suggesting this as a forum for that debate. Start a thread somewhere else.
but to keep a resort running for a small number of people, is just costing other owners who are unable to use the resort during this time.

JerseyJim

Reaction score
In same situation, resort manager has threatened me same could occur any day although i have 7 nights points-paid remaining. Interested in comments. Today i'm going to conact the local police to get advice. I am 2700 miles from home and on day 6 of self-isolating.

Tell them you will sue him/her and the resort. I believe no renters, but current occupants can stay. Contact Couty or state officials. https://floridapolitics.com/archive...ew-vacation-rentals-amid-coronavirus-concerns

JerseyJim

Reaction score
As a side issue with the employees, lay them off and let them collect unemployment under the new stimulus plan. Saves the home resort on employment costs. As taxpayers, well that is an entirely different issue and I am not suggesting this as a forum for that debate. Start a thread somewhere else.
but to keep a resort running for a small number of people, is just costing other owners who are unable to use the resort during this time.

timdean3

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I really think it is very selfish of timeshare owners to be in resorts with the virus going on. Go home and shelter in place to prevent the spread. Let the working people go home so they are not at risk for someone to just have "fun". We have had to cancel several trips but and lost some money but this is only to be expected under these conditions. You are safe at home as long as you do not go out or protect yourself when you have to.

Pair-A-Dice

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you were in Hawaii and there were no crowds, I can only imagine how awesome it would be to have the pool and beach all too yourself.

JerseyJim

Reaction score
I am a Board VP and am at my resort. We just implemted this: NO Rentals, All welcome packets are put in the units vs being picked up at the office.After the office is closes security will open the unit. Multi week owners will NOT get their units cleaned weekly. The package of supplies, towels etc will ne left outside their unit. When a unit vacates it will be locked shut for 1 week. Housekeeping will spray anti-viral cleaner and let it sit for 10 mins before cleaning the units.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a Board VP and am at my resort. We just implemted this: NO Rentals, All welcome packets are put in the units vs being picked up at the office.After the office is closes security will open the unit. Multi week owners will NOT get their units cleaned weekly. The package of supplies, towels etc will ne left outside their unit. When a unit vacates it will be locked shut for 1 week. Housekeeping will spray anti-viral cleaner and let it sit for 10 mins before cleaning the units.

This sound very good.
Where is this timeshare resort located ?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I really think it is very selfish of timeshare owners to be in resorts with the virus going on. Go home and shelter in place to prevent the spread. Let the working people go home so they are not at risk for someone to just have "fun". We have had to cancel several trips but and lost some money but this is only to be expected under these conditions. You are safe at home as long as you do not go out or protect yourself when you have to.

Good points. I think if someone can‘t leave their timeshare right now, at least do not complain about it. I assume the timeshares like Marriott and Vistana are doing the best they can under the circumstances.

rdear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV 2 - DOF
Bay Club
Worldmark
A few questions -
1. What does WKORV do when someone from the mainland has a week reserved and arrives to check in tomorrow? With the 14 day quarantine in place how can they be accommodated once 7 days pass?
2. What if WKORV does not allow a check in for someone from the mainland? What happens to their week? Their StarOptions? This is different from an owner cancelling their week and being able to use their StarOptions at some other time (not home resort time?)

rdear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV 2 - DOF
Bay Club
Worldmark
3. What are the responsibilities for Vistana to make a cancelled week (by Vistana) whole? Are they obligated to return the StarOptions for a Home Week? One has paid MFs and were not allowed to utilize the time. Do they return the MFs? (LOL)
4. If the Home Week StarOptions are returned - for how long would they be effective? This can lead to some interesting scheduling problems.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
3. What are the responsibilities for Vistana to make a cancelled week (by Vistana) whole? Are they obligated to return the StarOptions for a Home Week? One has paid MFs and were not allowed to utilize the time. Do they return the MFs? (LOL)
4. If the Home Week StarOptions are returned - for how long would they be effective? This can lead to some interesting scheduling problems.
The policy was updated a few days ago and is pretty clear. It doesn't matter if you cancelled the reservation or if it was cancelled by Vistana. The StarOptions will be good for future reservations within 120 days of checkin and will expire 12/31/2021.

mvmess

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Canyon Villas, Marriott Waiohai Beach Club, Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Destination Points,
WKORV management (or maybe Vistana, or Marriott) will not let us stay here any longer, even though we are trying to obey the Governor and Mayor's orders to shelter in place by using StarOptions to stay here another week. Despite the Marriott press release this morning stating they are closing resorts to renters, and "reducing operations and amenities at all of our resorts based on various governmental mandates and advisories," I can stay here for $299 per night in a studio, but cannot use my StarOptions to stay anywhere here. Every item in writing I see does not prohibit visitors from staying, but everything WKORV is doing is making it impossible to stay, without squatting here. Is this happening to anyone else? Anyone have any ideas? Using logic and showing them the government orders is not working. It is safer if we stay here but they are trying to kick us to the curb.
Don’t judge, don’t rationalize, GET OUT!!! The same is happening at many VRBO and Air B&B properties as well. Communities have limited resources to accommodate the needs of their own citizens. They do not want to expend these resources on guests who should be heading home anyway. It’s unfortunat, but it is what it is!

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
we cannot go home it would be more dangerous for us to drive from arizona to washington state. we are staying put. we have no housekeeping, we don't go to the pool although there are usually 4-5 people a day there all separated. and the grills are closed. they are down to a skeleton crew and we don't bother them at all. our reservation will keep us here until they kick us out or it is safe to travel.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Good points. I think if someone can‘t leave their timeshare right now, at least do not complain about it. I assume the timeshares like Marriott and Vistana are doing the best they can under the circumstances.
Agree, whiners are annoying. SIP and quarantine for travellers caught between a rock and hard place should be thankful ts will accomodate post- reservation, no matter the cost.

In my case, happy ending. I followed all govt advice but could only book 12 nights for my 14 day quarantine at an affiliate hotel booked through Diamond Resorts as they were closing. Hotel has finally agreed to let me extend 2 days. They have called Diamond to arrange it with my points, found me extra clothes for the winter weather, bring me the paper and anything i need, etc. The CEO of Diamond personally contacted me to say don't worry we got you, and their customer service is expiditing.

Forgot to add, this tourist town has lost all tourists, > 100% of normal residents, yet fully stocked grocery (even tp see photo today), pharmacy, post office, etc. Physical distancing patiently followed.
d7e6d8f0b40f35beadb4d9e80a64c977.jpg

c285572aa7823b8749975b5db94d7b83.jpg

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
How many other timeshares have stepped up to the plate like this and opening their timeshares to first responders. The CEO calling an Owner. WOW.