• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any other owners being "forced" out of their resort right now?

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
How many other timeshares have stepped up to the plate like this and opening their timeshares to first responders. The CEO calling an Owner. WOW.
I own Diamond, Marriott (Vistana), Wyndham (Shell), and independents, and Diamond customer service is by far best. Our fb page is full of compliments of the CEO and cs helping people who ask, outside of policy. Mike's business card is on every resort front desk, he personally returns messages regularly ... 2 years ago a salesman in Hawaii swore at me, i messaged Mike, he replied in 5 minutes, fired the guy on the spot.

I think Diamond's sales & marketing staff are the same as everyone's but their cs is far less bureacratic.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

dreamin

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I followed all govt advice
I've just returned from Kauai and am also self-isolating according to the Government of Canada guidelines. It specifically states to "self-isolate" which means no walks, no stops at the grocery store, and no contact with others. Your posts have indicated that you are hiking, grocery shopping, etc. and enjoying your period of self-isolation. But please don't say that you are following "all government advice" because you are not interpreting these guidelines correctly. It concerns me that you are potentially putting the residents of Whistler at risk needlessly.

rdear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV 2 - DOF
Bay Club
Worldmark
The policy was updated a few days ago and is pretty clear. It doesn't matter if you cancelled the reservation or if it was cancelled by Vistana. The StarOptions will be good for future reservations within 120 days of checkin and will expire 12/31/2021.
Yes - that is their statement today. But we have seen that these statements get changed as more pushback comes to light. There is a lot of hubris by Vistana to blow off so many owners who might not be able to take advantage of rebooking by the end of the year (especially since they are losing their home week advantage). This will be particularly true if the resorts are closed down for an extended period of time. One cannot rely on the good graces of the General Manager (Ryan Noriega) or the Diamond Resort CEO. Vistana's offer is in my opinion insufficient.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
I've just returned from Kauai and am also self-isolating according to the Government of Canada guidelines. It specifically states to "self-isolate" which means no walks, no stops at the grocery store, and no contact with others. Your posts have indicated that you are hiking, grocery shopping, etc. and enjoying your period of self-isolation. But please don't say that you are following "all government advice" because you are not interpreting these guidelines correctly. It concerns me that you are potentially putting the residents of Whistler at risk needlessly.
Wrong. That's only for people who are at home and with someone to get them food and clothes.

Also for those arriving home post March 25. I should have waited a week, i crossed the border March 19 stuck 2700 miles from home self isolating (different than quarantine), if i came March 26 i would have been taken directly to a Vancouver airport hotel with free accom and meals, like you in the new quarantine rules.

You've noted from my other posts that i have called all levels of government, 4 different BC Health entities, and local emergency social services. I am following their advice 100%.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I am a 30 year owner at the Royal Resorts in Cancun, Mexico. I have been here since January 25th. Did not plan on being here this long, but..............

I feel badly for the resort employees who rely on their tips for survival. They really count on Spring Break, Good Friday and Easter Weeks for their income. I still have not booked a flight home, I think I want to wait it out until the "lock-down" at home ends. The resort has no plans to close.

Hi Sandy ,
Congratulations on your first thread post. I have read your ads in TUG Marketplace and knew you were a multi-week owner .

As a 30 year owner of Royal Resorts - it is a second home to you ;
and staying there as long as makes sense to you - seems like a logical plan to me .
Please update the TUG community & TUG Mexican Forum readers on any news and updates from Cancun .

Thank you -

KACTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own Diamond, Marriott (Vistana), Wyndham (Shell), and independents, and Diamond customer service is by far best. Our fb page is full of compliments of the CEO and cs helping people who ask, outside of policy. Mike's business card is on every resort front desk, he personally returns messages regularly ... 2 years ago a salesman in Hawaii swore at me, i messaged Mike, he replied in 5 minutes, fired the guy on the spot.

I think Diamond's sales & marketing staff are the same as everyone's but their cs is far less bureacratic.
That’s impressive considering who used to run Diamond

cindylou

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV - 2 DOF, 2 OF
Sheraton Lakeside Terrace Villas at Mountain Vista - 2 winter, 1 summer, 1 shoulder
Specific to COVID-19, given there is so much uncertainty ongoing, I think the resorts and the states are also looking ahead and recognize that if existing “voluntary” SIP doesn’t blunt the curve so to speak- the next steps become more draconian. I don’t think anyone is putting words to these possibilities though - because if we did these words would instill even more fear into the populace than is already afoot. I’m referring to full on states of emergency that include martial law (in some form or another) to enforce mandatory as opposed to voluntary SIP orders, and grounding all flights within the country. These are obviously worst case scenarios, but I know they are “on the table” so to speak if/when necessity dictates.

So for those of you who are choosing, on some level, to SIP at anywhere other than your actual home, for whatever sets of reasons - some of which make a lot of sense IMHO - just be aware that if more draconian measures are enacted, then you are essentially choosing to take the risks in scope by staying anywhere other than where you actually live right now as pretty much everyone is saying to SIP at home - not at some other location.

In situations like this during states of emergency - that may mean paying out of pocket - because you are requiring others to take elevated risks to support and minimally staff the resort on some level - and those people cannot stay at home as a result. There is risk inherent in every decision we make. It’s probably also worth mentioning that during states of emergency - individual rights are largely suspended in the interests of serving the greater good (community rights). These concepts aren’t something our nation has really had to embrace and live with since the world wars. So while any one of us may feel that our rights are being minimized - and indeed they are during times like this - there is no time to spend focusing on outlier cases that trample on your individual rights such as those being addressed here - and when push comes to shove - you may lose out in the interests of the greater good - sorry to say. Point being - just be aware that these are the risks any one of us are choosing to take whether we are conscious of them or not. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

As one example, someone in this thread said they are SIP in Hawaii instead of returning to Colorado now, since the risk is lower in Hawaii. The worst case I would be planning for is that the airlines are grounded - and Hawaii implements stricter SIP and requires the resorts to close. What is your plan of this occurs? If you don’t have a worst case plan - that’s the risk you chose to take on inherent in your scenario. This could easily mean you would have to pay out of pocket - potentially for a long time staying at some other location other than the resort - because you would be paying for the elevated risks involved. Some may disagree with this - but that doesn’t mean it’s not real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your reasoned, rational, and respectful opinion.

To clarify, we did and do have a backup plan in case flights are grounded and spent quite a while putting that plan into place. We had a Course of Action A, B, C, and D. We also have friends who work for United so we consulted them.

But we also didn't believe Marriott had any justification for being so draconian and money-grabbing, especially when they were clearly allowing other guests to arrive and stay, while not being transparent in their reasoning and rationale. Other owners arrived 10 days ago and are staying for another 12 days. They've not been shown the door.

We had no intention of defying the government or reducing anyone else's safety, and we haven't. But arguing with a greedy company, that's another story.

I do appreciate you pointing out "individual rights are largely suspended in the interests of serving the greater good (community rights)" but please understand that my husband and I have a combined 48 years of active duty military experience so service before self, safety of the many versus the one, and risk management were significant factors in our decision-making process.

Be well everyone.

DonnaJ123

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a pandemic! The US death toll doubled in 2 days!! They are forecasting 1-200,000 deaths by the end of this! The resorts need to send staffs home and not have to accommodate low occupancy rates for guests that won’t leave even though they do not have an existing reservation because they prefer to vacation in Hawaii. Anyone that has access to a flight should take it. Resorts shouldn’t have to accommodate staffing for guests because they choose not to follow the advice of the nation. As an owner at this resort I don’t want the maintenance staff to jeopardize their health for a few guests that want an extension on their reservation when they have a flight home. Everyone needs to go home and self isolate. Take precautions on your way home...stay safe for yourself as well as your neighbours and fellow Americans. We are all in this together!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The reason that places don’t want vacation home owners to be at those places is because the hospital facilities cannot deal with the potential capacity issues that need to deal with locals when (and not if) the virus comes to their location.

And not because you are able to SIP there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christineK

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can stay at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach--just beside Whaler's Village. There are timeshares there that you can rent because many owners cannot travel to use them this month.
But many of the amenities are closed such as the fitness center, pool and hot tub. You can still use the tennis courts and BBQs are open until sunset. Since it is right on the beach, you can also walk out and enjoy the beach as long as you practise social distancing. But if you have travelled from outside of Maui you still have to quarantine yourself in your condo for 2 weeks.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
I don't think we should be criticizing folks. Noone really knows what people are going through and what their situation is during these times. Especially now, give others the benefit of the doubt at least

riderLise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Trinidad, San Clemente Inn, Paniolo Greens, Vacation Village at Parkway
We were in New Zealand on an extended trip there that was supposed to continue to Australia, when things went nuts with COVID. Needless to say, since Australia had just imposed a 14 day quarantine for any travelers arriving before our flight was to land, Australia got scrapped. I want to say a big THANK YOU to the staff at Lakeside Villas in Taupo New Zealand- when we had to cancel our plans for Australia and weren't sure what we'd do for a place to stay until we could rearrange our plans, they told us not to worry, they'd be able to find us space, as cancellations were coming in. I wish I'd taken them up on it, but I found a DAE bonus week not too far away at the Turangi Leisure Lodge, so we moved there and were looking to try to stay put until things settled down. On the Monday of that bonus week the NZ Prime Minister put her country on level 3, moving to level 4 in 2 days time, and the management at Turangi Leisure Lodge told us to check out by Wednesday. So not too pleased with CLassic Holidays that manages Turangi Leisure Lodge. We scrambled, booked flights out of Auckland for 6 days later and an airport hotel to stay in until then, then worked at rebooking as flights keep getting cancelled. We managed to move our flights up and got home on the 26th, where we are not quarantining ourselves for 14 days.
My second thank you is for DAE, they credited us for the Australia week we had to cancel, even though we hadn't put protection on it.
I hope everyone else that was travelling is managing to stay safe & shelter in place or get home.

Ckhawaii

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Tower HGVC
Westin Lagunamar plat 2bd 3x
Westin Aventuras
Have you ever seen Maui Memorial Hospital? Their is a reason timeshares in Hawaii do not want any visitors or owners there, the healthcare infrastructure in the state cannot accommodate its own citizens if the virus continually spreads, let alone visitors.

Mulege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
WMH
WLM
Been told Lagunamar closes this weekend.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Been told Lagunamar closes this weekend.
Not surprising. I would expect occupancy is close to zero. Perhaps only people that are currently still there from past trips just trying to now get home or holding out on going home.

Ellis2ca

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am a 30 year owner at the Royal Resorts in Cancun, Mexico. I have been here since January 25th. Did not plan on being here this long, but there is no virus here, it does not do well in well ventilated, high temps or high humidity. It is 82+ degrees and the breeze from the ocean is the most ventilation anyone could get. There is a full-time English speaking doctor at the resort and she has not treated anyone for flu or virus. My family and friends who have all stayed here multiple weeks are all telling me to stay rather than returning home where we are on "lock-down" until April 13. The only ones texting and emailing me to come home are those who are afraid to come to Mexico even in good times, or over-reacted when they heard they were "closing the boarder" into Mexico and Canada. They closed the boarder to non-US citizens, physically crossing into the country and I am not driving over the boarder, I am flying in. and I am a US citizen. The Royal Resort management consolidated all of us at the Royal Sands on Wed. and closed the other resorts. They provided us "free" shuttle service here. There are only around 300 of us here, less than 5% occupancy. Some people arrived on Saturday (there were 30 people on their flight from Denver) and 1 person from Cleveland (5 people on their flight). All the services are open at the resort. The resort has daily maid service and is exceptionally clean all the time, but they have implemented even more cleaning processes on top of their normal requirements. They would love to have more guests at the resort and would welcome anyone who wants to join us. I feel badly for the resort employees who rely on their tips for survival. They really count on Spring Break, Good Friday and Easter Weeks for their income. I still have not booked a flight home, I think I want to wait it out until the "lock-down" at home ends. The resort has no plans to close.

Ellis2ca

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have been a member of the Royal Resorts since 1977 (I renewed three weeks for 30 more years at Royal CanCun, in 2007) I have a reservation for a suite at the Royal Islander, from April 25 to May 2, but of course I won't be able to use it since the Royal Islander is closed.

The beaches of CanCun have been unnecessarily closed, (I say "unnecessarily because I think it is safer to be at the beach in CanCun than almost anywhere else in the world.) But can you still swim in the swimming pool at the Royal Caribbean?

I will request that they should change my reservation to another date, assuming that this epidemic will end some day... and I will let you know how they respond. I trust the Royal Resorts to always treat members fairly.

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
well SDO closed the pool today. the last thing still open. there are about 4 or 5 couples here now total. we extended through may 8 hoping that the pools and restaurants will be open before we leave and it is safe to go home. we have health care workers housesitting for us with no where else to go so until this is over we don't have a home to go home to anyway. we are staying safe and distant from everyone and will only travel home when it is safe to do that. they are doing a lot of renovation since it's empty. new roofs on the buildings.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA