• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any other owners being "forced" out of their resort right now?

cindylou

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV - 2 DOF, 2 OF
Sheraton Lakeside Terrace Villas at Mountain Vista - 2 winter, 1 summer, 1 shoulder
WKORV management (or maybe Vistana, or Marriott) will not let us stay here any longer, even though we are trying to obey the Governor and Mayor's orders to shelter in place by using StarOptions to stay here another week. Despite the Marriott press release this morning stating they are closing resorts to renters, and "reducing operations and amenities at all of our resorts based on various governmental mandates and advisories," I can stay here for $299 per night in a studio, but cannot use my StarOptions to stay anywhere here. Every item in writing I see does not prohibit visitors from staying, but everything WKORV is doing is making it impossible to stay, without squatting here. Is this happening to anyone else? Anyone have any ideas? Using logic and showing them the government orders is not working. It is safer if we stay here but they are trying to kick us to the curb.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
So they are letting you stay but are only taking cash reservations not Staroptions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
WKORV management (or maybe Vistana, or Marriott) will not let us stay here any longer, even though we are trying to obey the Governor and Mayor's orders to shelter in place by using StarOptions to stay here another week. Despite the Marriott press release this morning stating they are closing resorts to renters, and "reducing operations and amenities at all of our resorts based on various governmental mandates and advisories," I can stay here for $299 per night in a studio, but cannot use my StarOptions to stay anywhere here. Every item in writing I see does not prohibit visitors from staying, but everything WKORV is doing is making it impossible to stay, without squatting here. Is this happening to anyone else? Anyone have any ideas? Using logic and showing them the government orders is not working. It is safer if we stay here but they are trying to kick us to the curb.

So, you've tried making an online reservation and it won't take?

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
In same situation, resort manager has threatened me same could occur any day although i have 7 nights points-paid remaining. Interested in comments. Today i'm going to conact the local police to get advice. I am 2700 miles from home and on day 6 of self-isolating.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
In same situation, resort manager has threatened me same could occur any day although i have 7 nights points-paid remaining. Interested in comments. Today i'm going to conact the local police to get advice. I am 2700 miles from home and on day 6 of self-isolating.

Are you also at WKORV?

cindylou

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV - 2 DOF, 2 OF
Sheraton Lakeside Terrace Villas at Mountain Vista - 2 winter, 1 summer, 1 shoulder
The inventory office is closed. Likely to discourage occupancy. On Friday or Saturday I was able to see lots and lots of availability and I'm pretty sure I could have made a reservation. But I didn't until I could confirm my flight change. Then when I went to make the lodging reservation at my home resort, everything shows not available. This is artificial. The web page is lying. I am at WKORV and occupancy is less than 20%. It's probably 8% or something like that. Online reservation impossible. Calling into Vistana also impossible. No one answers, or sent to somebody's telework home and hear TV in background and no one talks back. Front desk says I can pay $299 per night, but can't use Star Options. So, yes, and yes to the above questions. They are doing everything to discourage staying and encouraging people to go home. I am incensed.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
The inventory office is closed. Likely to discourage occupancy. On Friday or Saturday I was able to see lots and lots of availability and I'm pretty sure I could have made a reservation. But I didn't until I could confirm my flight change. Then when I went to make the lodging reservation at my home resort, everything shows not available. This is artificial. The web page is lying. I am at WKORV and occupancy is less than 20%. It's probably 8% or something like that. Online reservation impossible. Calling into Vistana also impossible. No one answers, or sent to somebody's telework home and hear TV in background and no one talks back. Front desk says I can pay $299 per night, but can't use Star Options. So, yes, and yes to the above questions. They are doing everything to discourage staying and encouraging people to go home. I am incensed.

Yet, their own Press Release says they are closing to cash reservations beginning tomorrow for 30 days. This doesn't make sense.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Are you also at WKORV?
No sorry should have mentioned that. But this is an issue indifferent to resort or chain so interested in comments. Does a hotel have the right to put customers on the street, to close even with occupants, some jurisdictions are including hotels as essential services and others aren't ...

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What happens if you are already there on a reservation? I'm not but just curious.
Exactly! This is my issue. I could soon be the only homeless person carrying golf clubs.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
No sorry should have mentioned that. But this is an issue indifferent to resort or chain so interested in comments. Does a hotel have the right to put customers on the street, to close even with occupants, some jurisdictions are including hotels as essential services and others aren't ...

Your question does not have a generic answer as each state has its own innkeepers laws.

cindylou

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV - 2 DOF, 2 OF
Who has the higher authority - the company or the mayor or the governor? Marriott is not being transparent at all in what they are doing, and lying to their shareholders by saying they are closing rentals, when they are trying to charge me $299 per night when I already paid all my 2020 maintenance fees to utilize this resort with StarOptions. My husband has already called the mayor and governor's office. I'm headed to Twitter next.
Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 20.29.31.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 19.30.09.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 19.30.09.png
    72.9 KB · Views: 83

cindylou

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV - 2 DOF, 2 OF

Which resort are you at? This seems to be a Marriott deception, not related to the individual resort location.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not just Marriott as i posted. All resorts, worldwide issue. I'm undertaking similar tasks and will update.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your question does not have a generic answer as each state has its own innkeepers laws.
See cindylou's post ... who has the higher authority in these times is the issue that is interesting.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

That's a tough spot to be in. Each state or jurisdiction has it's rules as to what is or isn't an essential business. Hotels are in some states and not in others. If the state you're in has decided they're not, then they could and must shut down regardless if they have occupants or not. They have very little, if any choice. Of course if they must shut down everyone must leave. Good luck and I hope for the best.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
If I were staying at my deeded fee simple fractional ownership (i.e. as an owner, not a renter or hotel guest), I'd be livid if anybody up to and including the National Guard tried to kick me out. If they forced me to go home I'd strongly consider suing. Remember, if you have a deed, it conveys with RIGHTS. If you purchased it from Vistana, they are legally obligated forever to defend those rights.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Sorry to hear about your issues. This seems like uncharted territory when it comes to pandemics. However, there may be some legal precedent from when people are ordered to evacuate their deeded homes on the beach when a hurricane is coming. Perhaps it is time to find an AirBnB in the area and sort out repayment/legal later.

Last edited:

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
It must be difficult for a governmental agency to see a "vacation timeshare resort" as anything more than a hotel. Especially when the governmental agency is in totally new territory regarding quarantines, shelter in place, and self quarantine. I am sure Vistana can try to explain the concept of timeshare and deeded week and if falls on deaf ears. Difficult times for everyone.

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
It must be difficult for a governmental agency to see a "vacation timeshare resort" as anything more than a hotel. Especially when the governmental agency is in totally new territory regarding quarantines, shelter in place, and self quarantine. I am sure Vistana can try to explain the concept of timeshare and deeded week and if falls on deaf ears. Difficult times for everyone.

The government isn't kicking people out of Hawaii - they just don't want us going over there now (and haven't forbidden it, just made it very unattractive). The quarantine doesn't apply to visitors who are already there (although should think that stay at home/resort would). Marriott/Vistana are closing their resorts for lack of business and apparently tossing OP out the door so they can complete the process.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's a tough spot to be in. Each state or jurisdiction has it's rules as to what is or isn't an essential business. Hotels are in some states and not in others. If the state you're in has decided they're not, then they could and must shut down regardless if they have occupants or not. They have very little, if any choice. Of course if they must shut down everyone must leave. Good luck and I hope for the best.
Thanks, much appreciated. I called today police, social services, local government ... no answers. No govt closures mandated yet, but as the only occupant of my resort it could happen any day. Workers and tourists are leaving daily so it'll be a long 7 more nights. I have strong faith and have been in many worse situations so just enjoying every day.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Really good issues being brought up here. Renter vs. External exchanger vs. Points owner vs deeded week owner vs fractional deed owner ... different rights?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Why does anyone want to stay in an empty resort with everything closed? Wouldn’t going home be more comfortable?

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why does anyone want to stay in an empty resort with everything closed? Wouldn’t going home be more comfortable?
Its in beautiful mountains, i walk amazing trails all day, fully stocked grocery stores (even tp and water) good restaurants open, and no crowds! I feel like i own a private island
dcc947e7d6c534846dbafd2a83084ce2.jpg

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Its in beautiful mountains, i walk amazing trails all day, fully stocked grocery stores (even tp and water) good restaurants open, and no crowds! I feel like i own a private island
dcc947e7d6c534846dbafd2a83084ce2.jpg

Beautiful! Where are you? Aren‘t they practicing social distancing there? How are restaurants still open?