• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2019] Any news on the sunset clause for Foxrun?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Okay, you really hit a nerve. You said "A large percentage of TUG members would not stay at Foxrun." First of all, I think it is a very nice property in a beautiful location.

I want you to answer about how you know this. You already said that you have never been there so what on earth are you basing this on?

I find your post to be very offensive, misleading and frankly ignorant. If you have an axe to grind, I get it. Please don't trash my timeshare.
What I wrote was truth and was not even close to ignorant. I am a well-informed timeshare owner. It's in a niche area where many people don't go. That is the reason Marriott, Sheraton/Westin or Hilton didn't build there. I could do a survey on TUG and ask, but I doubt it would be a popular survey.

Maybe you should offer to be the head salesperson at Foxrun and sell the weeks that people have abandoned.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You say you are a well informed timeshare owner, but have never been to the property. What on earth are you basing your opinions on? I will keep asking this until you give an answer instead of deflecting the question. Why are you asking me to sell timeshares? I'm not in the business of selling them. I am happy with the one I own.

You sound bitter. Maybe that's what's wrong. Please don't ever manipulate my responses here.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I just voted yes and put my two ballots in the mail. It seems logical to vote yes. The nightmare of owning with 50 other people just makes me cringe.

There are going to be some no votes, but there will not be a 50% return of votes. So no consensus, unfortunately. I know this because we cannot ever get 50% of our owners to send in their proxies for a full-fledged quorum for a meeting at our Colorado timeshare (where I am on the BOD). So then we had the HOA documents changed at great expense to be 33%. We used to get 33%, and now we cannot even get 33%.

This is a place where Rick and I personally own 3 summer and 4 winter weeks, and many others own multiple weeks like we do, so we don't know if it's apathy, or if people are not using their weeks anymore and they don't care what happens to the property. We have no idea why people don't vote. We get the fees from most of the people, but they don't send in their proxies.

The Foxrun Yahoo group, of which I am the moderator, has some members who are owners at Foxrun and didn't get their ballots, so either they tossed them, thinking they were junk mail, or they didn't get them.

I assume the board will act on their own at some point and make a decision. Maybe they will have to change the governing documents. VRI has lawyers, so they can do that, certainly.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
So, with some owners, whatever the number, not pleased with a resort, and other owners, whatever the number, enthralled to the point of being offended if someone speaks ill of their resort (which, by the way, is certainly not new), doesn't it make sense to do whatever needs to be done to make the size of the resort match the number of owners who like the resort?

Isn't anything else, such as threatening and intimidating unhappy owners, just exasperating the problem, creating more expense, and embedding the resort deeper in a dark hole?

I would not say that if I had not seen both resorts that resort to scare tactics and resorts that resort to other tactics.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Did I see something about "not getting a quorum" on a sunset clause vote?

I guess that happened at our resort, and then they had another vote, one that did not require a quorum.

I guess I cut class both days, cuz I don't remember either.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm an outsider looking in and have never been to Foxrun so what I am going to suggest may not be practical. But if the Resort is made up of multiple buildings, why not give those who want out the ability to Deed Back by paying an exit fee. Then consolidate those who want to stay in some of the better units and sell the rest. This way those who want out can get out. Those who want to stay will have the proceeds from the exit fees and whatever they can get from selling the vacant buildings. These dollars can then be used to improve/update/maintain what is left...

George

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I'm an outsider looking in and have never been to Foxrun so what I am going to suggest may not be practical. But if the Resort is made up of multiple buildings, why not give those who want out the ability to Deed Back by paying an exit fee. Then consolidate those who want to stay in some of the better units and sell the rest. This way those who want out can get out. Those who want to stay will have the proceeds from the exit fees and whatever they can get from selling the vacant buildings. These dollars can then be used to improve/update/maintain what is left...

George

That's what I've been saying in several threads now, and what is being done elsewhere. I know it seems way-too-logical, probably because everyone winds up being happy.

As I've posted elsewhere, one of our clunky old legacy resorts has been fighting the legacy-resort problem for years, and I have been lobbying them to do deedbacks for ten years. I got their offer to do so two weeks ago, then in an e-newsletter this past week they said they have been combining unproductive weeks and selling condos off as full-ownership (but keeping the resort intact).

Another of our old legacy resorts just discovered electronic communication and the Internet last year, so it'll be awhile for them.

A third legacy resort we own at has their act together, which is why we own there.

Apple Valley in Ohio has been dealing with the legacy-resort issue for more than 20 years, and three years ago started the partition process with 1581 owners. They just got the whole thing sold by auction, to one new owner, and the AVR owners left (only 105) are getting $2200 each. & the new owner will have an excellent starter home/retirement home/golf-lake vacation home project, getting in at about $40,000 per condo, including the clubhouse, swimming pool, resident manager's house, and some undeveloped lots.

I'm posting all this from memory, so accuracy is not assured.

Last edited:

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Deedback and consolidation of happy owners into the remaining buildings seems so logical.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The Foxrun Yahoo group, of which I am the moderator, has some members who are owners at Foxrun and didn't get their ballots, so either they tossed them, thinking they were junk mail, or they didn't get them.

Can you tell me more about this group? Is it still a Yahoo group? I didn't know those still existed!

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
FOX RUN ~ LAKE LURE ~ NORTH CAROLINA

We stayed at a Hilton in Asheville a few years ago
then drove eastward to Lake Lure to see this resort

Fox Run Townhouses, (located in the Blue Ridge Mountain foothills), Lake Lure, North Carolina, offers countless resort and outdoor activities. In addition to two 18 hole golf courses & tennis, vacationers can enjoy water activities on beautiful Lake Lure or Bald Mountain Lake right at the resort. The timeshares are not top of the line but the picturesque North Carolina mountain scenery and surrounding areas will provide a wonderful family vacation.

Nearby attractions include some of our favorite attractions, Biltmore Estate Gardens & Grounds Experience a series of formal and informal gardens designed by landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted. Tour the Winery, View Chimney Rock @ Chimney Rock State Park, Looking Glass Falls, Sliding Rock and Carl Sandburg home, a national historical site in Flat Rock, NC.

I don`t think most people from other parts of the
US realize what a beautiful area North Carolina is.

If I could vote, I would vote to keep the timeshare
but to fix up the interior and update the furnishings.

Fox Run Townhouses in scenic Lake Lure
is the perfect North Carolina getaway!

Fox Run Resort RCI 4305
180 Herman Wilson Road
Lake Lure, NC 28746

www.foxrunatlakelure.com

Last edited:

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score

FoxRun was developed in 1977 as a Timeshare Association

Located in the beautiful mountains of Lake Lure, North Carolina. Foxrun consists of 140 - two bedroom villas (all villas sleep 6 pri/8 max) surrounded by 2900 acres @ Rumbling Bald Resort.

Search FoxRun Records Online

The Rutherford County North Carolina Register of Deeds maintains all real estate records recorded in this office dating back as early as the 1700's. These documents are public record and range from real estate conveyances, deeds of trust, cancellations of deeds of trust, assumed names, powers of attorney, road maintenance agreements, plats, separation agreements and more.

https://www.rutherfordcountync.gov/departments/register_of_deeds/index.php

Click on Register of Deeds Search - Type in FoxRun Townhouses
Select Deeds, Declarations of Coventants & Res. - View Images

Example:

Book/Page Index Type Kind Description Date Filed Images

412 / 475 PRE-95 REAL ESTATE COV&RES [ SUPP DCL/ C C & R ] FOXRUN TOWNHOUSES 04/23/1980 90 pages

Last edited:

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score

Know Your (FoxRun Timeshare) Self-Destruct Clause

The purchase of a timeshare requires due diligence on the part of the buyer. Before the decision to buy is made, the governing documents of your timeshare should be studied carefully. One often overlooked area of the documents is the self-destruct clause (also known as a sunset clause).

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some

The purchase of a timeshare requires due diligence on the part of the buyer. Before the decision to buy is made, the governing documents of your timeshare should be studied carefully. One often overlooked area of the documents is the self-destruct clause (also known as a sunset clause).

Yeah, sure, now you tell us!!!!

:cool:

No one thinks about getting out when they're getting in.

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
Just FYI FoxRun is a Silver Crown RCI resort. Our units have a 3/4 ownership and occupancy rate. We have a waiting list of Wyndham and Bluegreen owners wanting to get in. And finally we've never had a problem getting a quorum.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
3/4?

1/4 are unowned? How many is that? Who holds the "unowned" ones?

Going from the Internet . . . 140 units? 7000 "weeks"?

Strong rental program?

Who does resales?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
3/4?

1/4 are unowned? How many is that? Who holds the "unowned" ones?
I think they mean a 75% owner occupancy rate? Meaning only 25% of the people staying there in a year are exchanges.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Well then you'd think my summer week would be a good rental. :)

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Was there a meeting and a vote? Can I assume Foxrun is still a timeshare?

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
Was there a meeting and a vote? Can I assume Foxrun is still a timeshare?

The vote was by mail. I sent mine in a month ago. I don't know the result I'm sure we'll find out when the board meets.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Not Foxrun, but pertinent to Sunset Clauses . . . 2 years ago at our resort's "auction", the head guy said that the Sunset Clause would be voted for in 2018, each week as owners came to the resort. That didn't happen, but, somehow, it got voted on.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The vote was by mail. I sent mine in a month ago. I don't know the result I'm sure we'll find out when the board meets.

Right, the meeting was May 6th. I thought maybe someone had heard something.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some

Yeah, like those selling timeshares want that to happen!!!!!!:cool:

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
Right, the meeting was May 6th. I thought maybe someone had heard something.

From Jeanette Elliott, General Manager: The vote was passed for documents to be amended so that the Sunset Clause will be removed. A newsletter will be sent out once the attorney has everything filed with the court.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And here is how that may have happened. The board may have had the ability via the HOA docs to vote, if there was not a quorum. That is what the HOA BOD at Val Chatelle does each year. We want people to vote on certain things, we don't get 1/3 of the vote, so the BOD gets to decide everything without anyone's approval. If we didn't have that, nothing would get done.

But the sunset clause for VC requires a 100% vote of owners. How does one get that? I have no idea, but the resort itself is not deeded, it's RTU, so we may have some wiggle room. It's a long time in the future, and maybe our kids will care more than we do.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But I notice Becky is not running to this thread to tell us how it happened. She just wants to let us know that any negative talk about Foxrun is unwelcome.