• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any marathon runners out there?

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Started training this week to run a marathon next year - with a target date of October 2016. I believe I've got a pretty good training plan from another runner I trust. I currently run 3 miles a day at a 9 min/mile pace, and I'd love to do a sub 4-hour finish on my first one.

I just turned 53 and I trained for a marathon about 12 years ago, but never ran the actual event due to injury (abdomen area). I suffered through that injury for about a year afterwards and stopped running for a long time. I'm just now getting back to speed 12 years later! This might be my last shot. :)

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I would suggest that you vary your training. Have you ever used the fartlek training method? You run intervals at a faster pace, with walking in between to aid recovery. It helps build up leg strength and endurance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek

Disclaimer: I have never run a marathon, but I'm 65 and I still do a triathlon each summer.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Increase the amount of miles your run each week slowly. At this point distance is more important then speed. If you need to add walking breaks every 5 or 10 minutes to extend the length of your runs.

I have never run a marathon but have done a few halfs and a lot of shorter races.

Which one are you looking to run? A course can make a lot of difference in your time.

Good luck and enjoy experience.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've run a number of marathons. 1 year of training is not much but doable. Google marathon training schedules since there a lot of resources on the web.

The important thing is to get up to at least 40 miles of running per week. Oftentimes, people get too excited early on and overtrain which leads to injury. You need to follow a schedule and ensure that your body strengthens so that you can avoid injury as you increase your mileage.

svwoude

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not be too concerned with the sub 4 hour marathon. (At least not on the first one). You will need to average just over 9 minute miles for the entire 26.2 miles.
Have you ever run a half marathon? I would work one of those into my training to get a good feel for my race pace.
Stick to your schedule, but allow some extra time for injury, or illness.

Steve

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and the links everyone. I am already starting to vary my pace and I do different types of runs each day. I believe I've got a pretty good formula. The real test will be remaining injury free. I've got a fast run today and then I've got an 8 mile run this weekend and the plan builds to an 11 mile run in four months. I've got a 5K planned next week and then a 10K planned at the end of October. I will definitely do a half-marathon sometime next year.

On the question about which marathon, it will be somewhere in the midwest near Missouri. I've been running 3 miles a day for the past year and I feel that I need something to motivate me to keep improving.