• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any legal way out of this without being expensive?

peaceandquiet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have about five timeshares I want to walk away from. I called a few firms with good ratings and one wants $3,000 to terminate the contract and another quoted me $2200. This seems like too much money to pay or an outright scam. Does anyone know how to to do it yourself? I have tried giving them away for $1 free and nobody wanted them. The maintenace fees keep going up so nobody is ever going to buy them. I don't want to end up in bankruptcy and have plenty of weeks already banked and traded at various exchange companies. If you know of any tricks without getting bad credit or any ideas please let me know.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
Many timeshare brands have free deedback programs. Check to see if your timeshare has one. TUG stickies have details on these.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Industry website. www.responsibleexit.com. If your timeshare developers are listed on this site they (supposedly) have an exit program. For some developers, it is real. For others, it is a smokescreen. They will only "help" you rent/sell it. Good luck.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
It took me almost 3 years to get rid of 6 Weeks all at different Resorts. It took a lot of patience, awareness, opportunism and tenacity. Good luck...

George

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
No one will be interested in any of your timeshares if money is still owed on them from the original loan.......

Make sure they are all paid off first. Advertise them here on TUG in the "Bargain Timeshare Giveaway section" or run auctions on eBay and do the starting bids of $1.00

Once you find a buyer, go to www.LTTransfers.com and let them handle the transfer for you. LT Transfers is highly recommended here on TUG.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I have tried giving them away for $1 free and nobody wanted them.

It doesn't look like you have ever tried to give them away on TUG. Where have you tried already?

Edited: Oops, I now see that Denise already brought that up. As long as I have already edited...

If you REALLY want to give away your timeshares you really need to “sell” the timeshare in the ad. Show pictures of the beautiful resort, Talk about the great pool or kid's amenities, the daily activities, the free use BBQs, close proximity to shopping or entertainment. Show pictures of the full size kitchen and comfortable beds. Talk about great restaurants close by. If the resort has day use privilege be sure to mention that as local buyers will find value in that. Finally, share any personal experiences of the fun you and your family had at the resort. The point is, the timeshare isn't going to sell itself. There a many timeshares that are free so you need to make yours stand out. Yes, it takes a little work but that work will eventually pay off.

Last edited:

peaceandquiet

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have to get rid of it Battery Warf Boston style. I am starting Nationwide protests against Diamond. Get a megaphone out at their resorts.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Where are your timeshares located? If the developer refuses to deed it back, in Florida, California, South Carolina and a few other states you can walk and they will foreclose but all they get is the timeshare without other recourse per state laws. This is all the timeshare exit companies are doing for thousands. You can do this yourself. You might get a short term ding on your credit but better than paying thousands.

The key is to own timeshares in a state that has non-judicial, anti-deficiency laws.

peaceandquiet

TUG Member
Reaction score
So they can still hurt your credit but they do not get any extra cash that is owed?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Depends on the state where the timeshare is located. Look for anti-deficiency laws which means that they cannot go after your assets other than to take back the timeshare to settle their deficiency. The sticky helps identify those states.

We are not lawyers. The info provided was from lawyers but is provided here similar to a law review magazine. YMMV. Suggest you review the info and then hire a lawyer for one hour to review your plan and situation before taking action. Deedback or giveaway are easier less hassle if they can work for you. Good luck!

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
If OP has 5 TimeShares, the MFs must add up to big money. First, don't pay any MFs. Second, make every effort to give them away. If unable to give them away and he/she already has a home loan and car loan and can get by with a bad credit score for a couple of years, walk away and let the chips fall where they may...

George

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
First, don't pay any MFs. Second, make every effort to give them away. If unable to give them away and he/she already has a home loan and car loan and can get by with a bad credit score for a couple of years, walk away and let the chips fall where they may...

A timeshare cannot be given away (or its' ownership successfully transferred at the resort level) with a loan balance outstanding or maintenance fees in arrears. Accordingly, the above advice to (first) don't pay any fees and (second) try to give them away is frankly a bit backwards. A "giveaway" should be (i.e., can only be) attempted while the owner account is paid up and current.

Also, fwiw a negative credit report entry will have a lifespan of 7 years. For some people, particularly younger folks, this time frame may very well be regarded as more than just "a couple of years".

I agree that if a timeshare cannot be given away for free if paid off (and paid up), then walking away is an option. Paying a single penny to any so-called "exit / relief / escape/ rescue" entity, on the other hand, would be an expensive (not to mention completely ineffective) waste of money and the very definition of a fool's errand.

The OP needs to realize and accept the indisputable fact that a valid, legally binding contract cannot just be unilaterally and / or magically "cancelled" --- not by anyone. Accordingly, the notion of paying any money to any so-called "exit" entity in a futile and misguided attempt to achieve the impossible would only prove the old adage to be true that "A fool and his money are soon parted".

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
There is no 100% certainty you will realize a credit drop and there have been a few reported drops of only a 100 points. YMMV. If you have a mortgage your odds are much higher, If MF only and you have owned for many years, your odds are much better. Diamond has a history of litigation with Exit providers. It is often not worth the legal fees for a Developer to chase a MF default of a few thousand. A large mortgage would be different, but these firms are set up for a high default rate - it's the nature of the business - and they stick the loss to the HOA anyway.

Below is the latest reporting on credit drops. If you end up walking, please report back your results to pay it back to other in the same predicament.

Updates stats.
TS defaults w credit drops: 21 out of 57
TS defaults w collections: 6 out of 57
TS defaults w liens: 2 out of 57
MF defaults w credit drop: 6 out of 32
Mortgage defaults w credit drops: 15 out of 25
Canadians default on US TS w credit drops: 0 out of 10
Intls (inc. Canadians) default on US TS w credit drops: 0 out of 11.
Wyndham defaults w credit drops: 4 (3 loans, 1 MF) out of 9 (6 loans, 3 MF)
Sheraton defaults w credit drops: 2 out of 2 (1 loan, 1 MF)
VV defaults w credit drops: 1 (loan) out of 6 (2 loan, 4 MF)
Diamond defaults w credit drops: 1 out of 3 (all 3 MF)
Silverleaf defautls w credit drops: 2 out of 2 (both loans)
BG defaults w credit drops: 1 out of 2 (both loans)
HIVC defaults w credit drops: 3 out of 4 (all 4 loans)
Westgate defaults w credit drops: 0 out of 2 (both loans)
Marriott defaults w credit drops: 0 out of 2 (both MF)
Hilton defaults w credit drops: 1 out of 2 (both loans)
WorldMark default w credit drops: 1 out of 1 (loan)
independent/other: 4 (1 MF, 3 loans) out of 17 (4 loans, 13 MF)
undisclosed: 5

Last edited:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If OP has 5 TimeShares, the MFs must add up to big money. First, don't pay any MFs. Second, make every effort to give them away. If unable to give them away and he/she already has a home loan and car loan and can get by with a bad credit score for a couple of years, walk away and let the chips fall where they may...

George

Never be able to give them away with back owed MFs...
If I was looking to obtain a $1 time share, I would be looking for one with next years fees already paid.

I recently got rid of one I have made "some" effort, but not a "real" effort. I found my buyer on the resort owners FaceBook page. The person loved the resort and wanted to add another week to the 2 they owned already. Just another place to list what you have to offer.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was making two assumptions. First, that if OP has 5 TimeShares, there are no loans encumbering them. Sure, I could be wrong about that. And Second, that OP would have to bring any delinquent MFs current as part of any transaction to give one away. And yes, he/she may have to cover transaction costs and maybe a coming year's MF to get the deal done. But I stick advice hang on to as much of his/her cash as possible until needed to get a deal done...

George

Reactions: RX8

Traveler 2022

Reaction score
Where are your timeshares located? If the developer refuses to deed it back, in Florida, California, South Carolina and a few other states you can walk and they will foreclose but all they get is the timeshare without other recourse per state laws. This is all the timeshare exit companies are doing for thousands. You can do this yourself. You might get a short term ding on your credit but better than paying thousands.

The key is to own timeshares in a state that has non-judicial, anti-deficiency laws.

I read in different Forum subjects that the "Non judicial, anti deficiency laws" are determined by the state where the property is located. Does anyone know what the law would be for St Maarten? In particular a Diamond property, if that makes any difference. Also mortgage is paid, but MF is behind by two years.

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I gave mine away on craigslist some years ago (over the period of 2-3 years - I had 14, I think). I actually had one lady agree to take one (for free, I was picking up minimal filing fees) and she backed out because she was told by a friend she was being scammed. What? I wasn't asking for money (the scam part). I was providing a deed and I was recording it (so I wasn't sending a deed and it never got recorded). ANYWAY, I sold one which I had posted on the resort's website. It was a company that was trying to take over the resort (it was a small resort) and was buying up weeks. I got $2K for it (my asking price on the resort's website). Funny - a few weeks after I sold it, I was asked by the resort why I did that. 'I had offered it to you for nothing - and you didn't want it' was my answer. The resort wanted me to just keep it and keep paying maintenance fees on it I guess.

Anyway - craigslist isn't what it used to be (regarding readers). I would recommend Marketplace on Facebook (or Meta or whatever it's called now).

Putting it on TUG only has timeshare owners (or TUG readers) reading the ads. There are numerous people out there who weren't even looking for a timeshare - until they see it! Put it on TUG too, though. You never know! Good luck!