• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any HVAC experts here?

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is not a topic relevant to timeshares, but I know from prior experience that there are lots of folks here pretty savvy on many other issues as well, so....

I am currently involved in the remodeling of a house. The work requires installation of a furnace (forced hot air, natural gas), air conditioning and steam humidification (for use during the heating season). I am already well into the process of requesting and receiving quotes from various contractors in the area who I know to be long established, competent and reputable. HVAC is, quite honestly, an area outside of my realm of expertise (...or interest, to be perfectly honest).

One thing I have already observed among the various HVAC contractors under consideration is their strong loyalty to particular, specific brands. This may be due to contractual relationships with certain companies, or best available pricing (...or both; I don't really know, nor do I much care).

My question for HVAC experts (i.e., I'm not looking for homeowner "we have brand XYZ and we like it" type input) is simply this:

In your informed opinion and direct professional experience, what are the quality / reliability differences (if any) specifically and only between the Carrier and Lennox brands? Costs being (presumably)comparable, why specifically would you select one over the other?

I would also welcome your informed input and direct experience as to how you would rate or rank or compare the American Standard / Trane brand (...yes, I know that American Standard and Trane are essentially the exact same thing) when stacked up against the aforementioned Carrier and Lennnox brands.

These brands identified above are the only ones utilized by the contractors under consideration, so input on other brands not mentioned above is neither sought nor helpful.

Thanks in advance for any insights, information or informed opinions and experiences you might be willing to share on the above specific questions / brands.

e.bram

Reaction score
It is not so much the brand but the level of the unit within each brand that is more important.

ps. I would go with a split system independent of the heat system , which includes heat pump capability.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is not a topic relevant to timeshares, but I know from prior experience that there are lots of folks here pretty savvy on many other issues as well, so....

I am currently involved in the remodeling of a house. The work requires installation of a furnace (forced hot air, natural gas), air conditioning and steam humidification (for use during the heating season). I am already well into the process of requesting and receiving quotes from various contractors in the area who I know to be long established, competent and reputable. HVAC is, quite honestly, an area outside of my realm of expertise (...or interest, to be perfectly honest).

One thing I have already observed among the various HVAC contractors under consideration is their strong loyalty to particular, specific brands. This may be due to contractual relationships with certain companies, or best available pricing (...or both; I don't really know, nor do I much care).

My question for HVAC experts (i.e., I'm not looking for homeowner "we have brand XYZ and we like it" type input) is simply this:

In your informed opinion and direct professional experience, what are the quality / reliability differences (if any) specifically and only between the Carrier and Lennox brands? Costs being (presumably)comparable, why specifically would you select one over the other?

I would also welcome your informed input and direct experience as to how you would rate or rank or compare the American Standard / Trane brand (...yes, I know that American Standard and Trane are essentially the exact same thing) when stacked up against the aforementioned Carrier and Lennnox brands.

These brands identified above are the only ones utilized by the contractors under consideration, so input on other brands not mentioned above is neither sought nor helpful.

Thanks in advance for any insights, information or informed opinions and experiences you might be willing to share on the above specific questions / brands.

Bumping Up for another solicitation of question-responsive input...

1950bing

Reaction score
A HVAC is an expensive line to get into. It takes special tools and training and certian amount of investment in inventory to do it right. That is where the loyality comes in I think.
What I find important is a study of your place to determine what size you need of whatever you buy. Ducting is also important for correct sizing.
I had to replace a unit and the real problem was a too small return !
Warranty is important because they will need fixing.
Yearly check ups are important to get the most from your unit.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
http://www.bestcovery.com/best-central-air-conditioner lists two Carrier models, but no Lennox models...

Infinity Series Central Air Conditioner
Why it's a best pick: Carrier is sold and serviced all over the country, and are known to last 20 years or more. Investing in this model is sure to bring you years of comfort, with increasing saving on your overall electric bills. Exceeding energy efficient standards, this unit has everything a homeowner would want in a high end unit.

Carrier Comfort Series Central Air Conditioner
Why it's a best pick: If you are finding it ‘inconvenient’ to purchase a new AC unit at this time, this is a good, practical, efficient model that will save you a few hundred. You will get all the best in service no matter how much you pay.

http://www.consumersearch.com/central-air-conditioners/brands-and-models lists several Carrier and Lennox models.

[Abridged] The models we mention here appear on the lists of Jim Dulley, GreenGuide.com and the few other sources that identify any specific models as worth considering. These are weak recommendations. They are not based on testing or even experience with a brand. Instead, they come from evaluation of product information and perhaps brand reputation. These sources focus on higher-end models.

The 21 SEER Carrier Infinity Series.

The Lennox XC21, a two-stage 20.5 SEER central air conditioner.
Lennox engineered this model with a variety of noise reduction technologies; the company claims noise levels as low as 69 decibels.

The 15 SEER Carrier Performance Series.
It's also rated to run as quietly as 69 decibels. Some models in the series use R-410A, others use R-22. They are single-stage air conditioners (which means they are either on or off).

The Lennox Merit Series 13ACD is a 14 SEER air conditioner.
A scroll compressor which typically does not require a suction valve. It uses R-410A refrigerant. Those are nice features for a low-efficiency air conditioner. Because it lacks a ten-year warranty on the compressor, we identify it as a lower-end central air conditioner that might be a very good value if you are happy with the price or don't plan to stay in your home long enough to recoup the higher cost of a more efficient unit.

Last edited:

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I am sure there are some pretty passionate owners/dealers out there however; when we replaced our unit we were advised that there's probably not a lot of difference in the units but the installation (including a J calculation) is important. Obviously warranty (what and for how long) was an important consideration but several contractors offered extended warranties. With energy costs continuing to climb, SEER/EER ratings ratings are important and will save you money but technology will probably necessitate the need for a new unit long before it wears out! As relative neophites, it was hard just trying to figure out the difference between two-speed, variable speed and why some have two compressors and some just have one! Of course, we replaced ours just before the big Federal Energy Rebate ran out (but, IMHO, I couldn't tell if we just wound up paying more since the contractors knew we were looking for rebate eligible equipment)!:shrug:

e.bram

Reaction score
Forget about a ducted system. Go for a split system with the heat pump option.