• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

any hope for St. Thomas?

SBtraveler

Reaction score
Oh boy, I put in an exchange request with a unit from Marriott Ko Olina almost 2 years ago but it was a 1 bedroom. Doh! Now, a couple months from our vacation to St. Thomas we still don't have a trade using II. We are going but who knows where we are going to stay. Is there any hope a trade will still come through?

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What dates are you searching for?
1. Double check your search request to be sure it is set up correctly.
2. Search online as often as possible.

Last edited:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
With any timeshare exchange, unless you are going to an overbuilt area that always has a glut of availibility, it is best to get your exchange first and then your air tickets. That way you can mazimize your dates to have the best chance of getting an exchange.

The last time I looked at DAE's Caribbean inventory they had a week on St. Thomas, but I don't recall what month it was so I don't know if it would fit your dates.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
BUT>>> Marriott Kolina is on Oahu?????? What am I missing here?.... never mind you are using a kolina to trade.....I see now

SBtraveler

Reaction score
Follow-up

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I would normally wait for the exchange but we are going to the Caribbean even if our exchange doesn't go through. We'll just be looking for a place to stay. Our dates aren't flexible at all because of our daughter's spring break so it is the week of March 22 or bust. My question is do exchanges go through on short notice?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
yes, but they would be last minute cancels. You should book another back-up place, hotel or condo that has a liberal cancel policy--2 weeks or less--72 hours would be best. I have seen great Marriott exchanges at prime times at St. Thomas, St. Kitts, and Aruba from cancels with arrival dates 3 days away. Also, I would not totally rely on an ongoing search---I would start checking every AM when you get up to see if anything is online that did not get matched up.
As an aside, have you looked into air from St. Thomas to St. Kitts? I have also seen Marriotts at St. Kitts come up last minute---if you have that flexibility. Good luck. Elaine

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Count the days till you want to check in; is it the 59 day flexchange window yet? Check EVERY DAY, multiple times, early 5-6:00 am EST.

Spend $15 and be a member of TUG. Then you can post what you're looking for on the members-only sighting thread. There are Tuggers who hunt just for what you're needing and if you give them the ok, they'll contact you. This is great value for $15. It worked for me.

Last edited:

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to make a reservation at the Marriott frenchman's Cove next door as backup in case it doesn't come thru. It just underwent an extensive reservation. Maybe you could use MR points to book it?

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow is 59 days away from check-in date of 3/22/12 (Thursday), so this coming week is the beginning of the period in which you will have a high likelihood of matching your search.

How is your search set up? Check in date of 3/22/2012, and MFC? Any other resorts?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I agree with other advice here -- we've seen reasonable availability within Flex at the Marriott resorts (including MFC) so you may still get your trade, but I don't think it is probable, just possible. Marriott doesn't have space available for DClub booking (only 3 nights starting Monday the 26th) so a week won't likely come from them, more likely from an owner who is depositing at the 60 day mark.

Booking a backup reservation at a hotel (with good cancelation rules) would be a prudent thing to do at this point.

Also consider a rental via redweek.com from an owner who might be sweating the near term check-in.

Good luck!

Greg