• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any good experiences with HICV and RCI

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
With the inability to transfer my HICV points to IHG, I've been doing a lot of looking at RCI. The selections seem very slim. Does anyone one if HICV access to RCI resorts is more limited than standard RCI accounts? Anyone have a good experience?

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
With the inability to transfer my HICV points to IHG, I've been doing a lot of looking at RCI. The selections seem very slim. Does anyone one if HICV access to RCI resorts is more limited than standard RCI accounts? Anyone have a good experience?

I have had a great experience with my HICV’s RCI account. The point exchange is very fair and sometimes even better.
The under 20k exchanges are great too, but best resorts only show up 45 days out.
I have completed some great exchanges. Unfortunately, you are not able to transfer points from HICV into RCI. You first need to find an exchange and then your points are deducted from HICV, so it does not work for extending their expiration by banking in RCI. You also can not purchase RCI’s insurance for our points exchanges. I have written a couple of posts with these restrictions and info on how it works.

To give you an example of some of my exchanges.

15k points for a 3 bedroom in WM reunion last week of may in 2019.
68k or so for HGVC Washington DC 1B for 4 in August (5 nights).
154k for HGVC Kohala suites in Hawaii, 2b in June 2021.
Other notables 15k: HICV in canyon lake TX 2b (x3), WM in hunt TX 2b, vacation village in fl, one in destin this past June.

If you follow the sightings forum here, you will see all the good options in RCI that become available. RCI has the option to create and save searches to make it quicker to search, and a favorite resorts tab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
To get full value out of RCI, you need to put a request in prior to them getting inventory. What is showing online is the "leftovers" after the ongoing requests have been filled.

I recently got 2 weeks in a two bedroom at the Hilton Kings Land on the big island for July 2021. The step in quality covers the extra costs, imo.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You have full inventory access to rci with HICV. You just have to plan early but not necesarily expect a match right away and be willing to jump on something if you see it or match with a search. There are 3.8 million rci members and most have deposited average weeks but most are looking for the creme of the crop in exchange. So the good stuff either gets taken by ongoing searches sometimes started 18-24 months in advance or if it makes it to online availability could get taken within minutes so unless you are constantly searching you might miss it. Average and sub average inventory can sit for weeks or months without anyone jumping on it.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To get full value out of RCI, you need to put a request in prior to them getting inventory. What is showing online is the "leftovers" after the ongoing requests have been filled.

I recently got 2 weeks in a two bedroom at the Hilton Kings Land on the big island for July 2021. The step in quality covers the extra costs, imo.
Ok. I feel stupid. How do you put in a request? Online or phone.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee

can do it online but by phone they are very helpful.
Dave

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

I always do it online.

You log in to RCI (under the "plan and reserve your vacation" tab at HICV)

It's a little tricky to find the way of placing an ongoing search on the HICV version of the RCI website. I always do it the following way:

1) Hover over "RCI Vacations" in the top row (there is a binoculars icon) and select "Advanced Search" from the drop down menu. This will bring up the ability to search their current inventory.

2) You need to search for something they don't have. I usually select the "Resort ID" tab, and enter 7978 (which is the code for Kings Land) in the box and the dates Dec 25-31st for dates. Because Kings Land for New Years will never be available!

3) A message will come up saying "Sorry, we didn't find any matches for your criteria." Right below that is a link that says "Add Ongoing Search Request." Click that link.

4) That brings up a screen to enter either regions or resort IDs to search by. You can enter multiple regions and multiple resort IDs, with different dates for each all on the same search. But whatever unit size you select at the bottom of the page will apply to all of your choices. Make your choices and click continue.

5) If they have a current match it will come up, otherwise you'll get a box that says no results are found, and you click the "Add Ongoing Search" button.

6) You enter in your credit card information and complete the process. You have to pay the exchange fee in advance.

7) If your search matches, they will send you an email. You have a day or two to decide whether to take the match.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
you can also exchange HICV within their website. The have some really nice resorts.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks! I have put in my ongoing search. What happens if I never get a match? Do I get a credit for the $239?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I put in my ongoing search for 10 different resorts over a three week period in Hawaii (next May-June). Its only been about 4 days. I have not gotten any hits yet, but a couple of Wyndham locations on the big Island are now available. One is the Kona Hawaiian Resort and the other is the Royal Sea Cliff. Any thoughts on these two resorts. II has them both reviewed at 8.6 out of 10, but the pictures make them look a little old.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
You also have to check for units that opened up using points for as many days that you want. Those will not show up on the search, only weeks show up.
I just made reservations for 11 nights in Maui and 9 nights in Honolulu end of may to the beginning of June.
I just checked in nightly.
Dave

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You also have to check for units that opened up using points for as many days that you want. Those will not show up on the search, only weeks show up.
I just made reservations for 11 nights in Maui and 9 nights in Honolulu end of may to the beginning of June.
I just checked in nightly.
Dave
When you do an ongoing search with RCI, will it search both Points and Weeks?

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
When you do an ongoing search with RCI, will it search both Points and Weeks?

no, only weeks show up in the search they create. I needed to check the web sight to see those hits.
So you create your own window that you want to go including flexibility time.
I go to my start up page than check the search time I created and point nights show up.
I did get a match from them but the days were not good. Same resort showed up with points for as many days as I wanted starting / stopping any day. I made a 8 night reservation and a 11 night reservation at 2 different islands in May. 4 different islands were available.
Dave

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
no, only weeks show up in the search they create. I needed to check the web sight to see those hits.
I go to my start up page than check the search time I created and point nights show up.
I did get a match from them but the days were not good. Same resort showed up with points for as many days as I wanted starting / stopping any day. I made a 8 night reservation and a 11 night reservation at 2 different islands in May. 4 different islands were available.
Dave
Which resorts?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dave
Are you a weeks or points owner?

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
I’m a points owner.
Not all resorts offer pick your day options, many are just weeks. Hit and miss, I’m pretty new with RCI reservations But this was my observation.

on your search I wouldn’t limit yourself , let the offers come. You can turn them down.
I have 17 choices For the last 2 weeks of may at 4 islands. Some of those only have a couple days here or there. My reservation below, overlapped for a reason. If inter island hopping is not allowed they have 11 nights in Maui. Right now you can fly from Maui to Honolulu but not Honolulu to Maui due to c19 so that problem is planned out
I would put your own search in for the range you want and see what pops up. Check back daily.
Dave
Ps upgrade option only works with week reservations

31BE35AD-2B41-40D1-AB52-F4DE60B5CD72.png

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m a points owner.
Not all resorts offer pick your day options, many are just weeks. Hit and miss, I’m pretty new with RCI reservations But this was my observation.

on your search I wouldn’t limit yourself , let the offers come. You can turn them down.
I have 17 choices For the last 2 weeks of may at 4 islands. Some of those only have a couple days here or there. My reservation below, overlapped for a reason. If inter island hopping is not allowed they have 11 nights in Maui. Right now you can fly from Maui to Honolulu but not Honolulu to Maui due to c19 so that problem is planned out
I would put your own search in for the range you want and see what pops up. Check back daily.
Dave
Ps upgrade option only works with week reservations

View attachment 26988
Thanks Tank. Have you stayed at the Shell location before? If so, how is it? My wife is a little spoiled ;)

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
Thanks Tank. Have you stayed at the Shell location before? If so, how is it? My wife is a little spoiled ;)
You know it’s Hawaii , 4 star rating and trip adviser has nice reviews. My kids will Uber around and it does have a nice beach close by. I haven’t been there for 30 years. Something better shows up I’m not afraid to cancel this booking and rebook a upgrade.
A lady I was looking to rent from told me this
( fare price on a Hilton stay by the way if she is spoiled , Pm me about that)
Thanks for sending me the confirmation. I am familiar with this resort: we used to be Shell owners. The main problem with this resort is that it is on the far west end of the Waikiki area, even farther west than the Hilton Hawaiian Village. So your son and his fiancee will have to take taxis or buses to the main part of Waikiki , as it is quite a long walk. The resort is nice enough, but some units looked a little "tired".
Don’t know why that copy and paint did that but I’m not retyping it
Dave

SeeMe

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shell Vacation Club
Global Exchange Vacation Club
The Imperial of Waikiki x2
Westin Kierland Villas x2
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North
Shell’s units in the Ilikai are not bad and some have great water views. I’m a shell owner and have stayed there. Another good choice is The Imperial Vacation Club. It’s an older timeshare which has been updated the last few years and some of the views are not the greatest but the location is Amazing at the foot of Lewers Street. It abour a 2 minute walk to the beach, it across the street, and in the heart of everything. You can find it on RCI. Also in the Big Island there is the Kona Coast Resort II which is very nice. On Maui have stayed in the Kaanapali Beach Club, the Maui Beach Club, the Papakea Resort, Kaanapali Shires and the Westin Ocean Resort Villas....like Westin the best.
but have to keep in mind sometimes the rooms dont matter as you are not in them that much especially your first few times in the Islands.

raiderfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I put in my ongoing search for 10 different resorts over a three week period in Hawaii (next May-June). Its only been about 4 days. I have not gotten any hits yet, but a couple of Wyndham locations on the big Island are now available. One is the Kona Hawaiian Resort and the other is the Royal Sea Cliff. Any thoughts on these two resorts. II has them both reviewed at 8.6 out of 10, but the pictures make them look a little old.
do you have to pay the 239 for each of the 10?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
do you have to pay the 239 for each of the 10?
No. The 239 covers the ongoing search for multiple sites and days. I actually have 20 options listed over 18 months for different trips. My understanding is that when you open the ongoing search that provides a date/time stamp for where you sit in the list.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
What is the HICV internal exchange fee? If someone owns a 2 bedroom HICV Williamsburg and wants to exchange into HICV Orange Lake?

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
What is the HICV internal exchange fee? If someone owns a 2 bedroom HICV Williamsburg and wants to exchange into HICV Orange Lake?
they do not have internal exchange. Only points owners can go where they want

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
$239 per exchange through rci ( no discounts and no internal exchanges outside of rci for deeded non points owners).