• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any DVC TS w/ Theme Rooms (Disney Princess, Marvel, etc.)

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
To second what elaine said, it isn't the villas at DVC that are special so much as the resorts. But the themeing isn't Disney so much as Magnificent Mountain Lodge (aka Ahwahnee Hotel) (BRV/CCV), African Safari House (AKV), Atlantic Coast Resort (BCV), etc. We're staying at BCV right now and the resort at Christmastime is nothing short of magical. As is the adjacent Yacht Club and the themeing in oft overlooked places like the solarium. And the ability to walk to and from EPCOT and HS is priceless.

Well...not exactly priceless since we do pay a pretty penny for the privilege. We have stayed off property in nearby MVCI resorts which have villas that are arguably nicer and inarguably far less expensive. But after our last off-property stay I found myself channeling Scarlett O'Hara, "As god as my witness, I'll never book 30 day fastpasses at 7:00AM each and every morning of my length of stay again!" Or have to choose who will be the designated driver instead of having to choose whether to dine in France, Italy, Japan...or one of the many nearby seafood restaurants.
I just stayed at a MVC resort and while commuting to and from was a pain it was a lot better than the buses I took while staying on property. I’d like to see what the riviera resales look like. With the new restrictions it will be difficult. Personally speaking I wouldn’t mind staying at riviera but also would want to stay at other resorts like GF or AKV. When it comes to resale, even if they are priced really low I’m sure DVC will exercise ROFR pretty often.

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
We have owned at hhi and now only at bwv. There is no character themes per say, but a Disney feel or theme to threslrts, definitely. Also, one of The only timeshares that “holds it’s value”. We sold our hhi for about what we bought it for 22 years and great memories ago minus mf. Repurchase is the way to go,as you can buy the other perks much lower if you want them. We ever did and felt it was some of the best money we ever spent, and we have blown a lot of money over a marriage.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just stayed at a MVC resort and while commuting to and from was a pain it was a lot better than the buses I took while staying on property...
At least during peak seasons the WDW buses are basically useless. Over Christmas/NYE we mostly walked, monorailed, and skylinered. We tried the morning buses three times and ended up Uber'ing once we saw the masses of people waiting. Evenings back from the parks weren't so bad - we took the bus back all three times.
When it comes to resale, even if they are priced really low I’m sure DVC will exercise ROFR pretty often.
As the phrase goes, "Past Performance Is No Guarantee of Future Results" but historically DVC doesn't ROFR any property it is actively selling. So if you can find a willing seller you can get amazing deals on Aulani. It will be interesting to see where Riviera resale prices settle over the next couple of years.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
At least during peak seasons the WDW buses are basically useless. Over Christmas/NYE we mostly walked, monorailed, and skylinered. We tried the morning buses three times and ended up Uber'ing once we saw the masses of people waiting. Evenings back from the parks weren't so bad - we took the bus back all three times.
As the phrase goes, "Past Performance Is No Guarantee of Future Results" but historically DVC doesn't ROFR any property it is actively selling. So if you can find a willing seller you can get amazing deals on Aulani. It will be interesting to see where Riviera resale prices settle over the next couple of years.
Can you use points at riviera with Aulani? At what point can you book other DVC resorts prior to check in? 7 months? So are points at Aulani useless for 5 months if I don’t want to go there?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
The current status--you cannot use any resale points (purchased since late Jan 2019) at Riviera or likely any additional new DVCs. You can use any points bought directly from DVC at 7 months to book any DVC.
There are varies debates as to whether DVC could change additional things in the future.
Buying A to book Riviera regularly doesn't seem a good strategy to me. I'd plan to use A at least EOY to buy there. Also, pay attention to annual fees--some A contracts have subsidized fees.

Last edited:

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
DVC might theme the resorts when they first build them, but in the first iteration of renovations they start to take all the theming out of the villa. They wind up looking no different from a Hampton Inn.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
The current status--you cannot use any resale points (purchased since late Jan 2019) at Riviera or likely any additional new DVCs. You can use any points bought directly from DVC at 7 months to book any DVC.
There are varies debates as to whether DVC could change additional things in the future.
Buying A to book Riviera regularly doesn't seem a good strategy to me. I'd plan to use A at least EOY to buy there. Also, pay attention to annual fees--some A contracts have subsidized fees.
Aulani contracts with subsidized dues cannot be used to book into Riviera unless you bought them before Jan 2019. OP would not be able to book Riviera with subsidized Aulani contract or any resale contract that home is not Riviera.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk