• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 29 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Come check it out for a chance to win a Free TUG membership (or renewal) just for helping out!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 60,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any creative ideas?? Need advice for Phuket

jin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a 2 br wk we bought as a getaway a while back at Marriott's Mai Khao in Phuket coming up in Summer. The problem is we have read Marriott Phuket Beach is a much nicer resort, and a 2br is now available as an exchange for my Studio at grand Vista for the same week. I hate to waste the $600 we spent on the getaway, but we are SO tempted.... There are some creative thinkers on TUG, what would you do?? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
I will just say this. The pools at the JW/Phuket Beach Club are some of the best Marriott has in the world. There is NOTHING like sunset from the Blue Bar every evening.

That said, Mai Khao is newer. The units are wonderful.

Honestly, if it were me, knowing both places, I would switch. I assume this is your first time in Thailand. Be beach front. They now have back the on property (The Beach Club) an elephant that interacts with guests daily pool and beach side.

You are getting a great value for your exchange. Do it and enjoy. :D Do you have any friends or family that could "buy" your getaway week? Enjoy the vacation with friends?

jin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will just say this. The pools at the JW/Phuket Beach Club are some of the best Marriott has in the world. There is NOTHING like sunset from the Blue Bar every evening.

That said, Mai Khao is newer. The units are wonderful.

Honestly, if it were me, knowing both places, I would switch. I assume this is your first time in Thailand. Be beach front. They now have back the on property (The Beach Club) an elephant that interacts with guests daily pool and beach side.

You are getting a great value for your exchange. Do it and enjoy. :D Do you have any friends or family that could "buy" your getaway week? Enjoy the vacation with friends?
Yes, This is my first time in Thailand. Unfortunately we don't have anyone who could use the Mai Khao week. We do have Marriott insurance, but not sure how I could justify being able to use 1 week, but not both......

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a 2 br wk we bought as a getaway a while back at Marriott's Mai Khao in Phuket coming up in Summer. The problem is we have read Marriott Phuket Beach is a much nicer resort, and a 2br is now available as an exchange for my Studio at grand Vista for the same week. I hate to waste the $600 we spent on the getaway, but we are SO tempted.... There are some creative thinkers on TUG, what would you do?? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

GO to Phuket!
Stay in both units if you can get the weeks to run consequtively.

We have stayed at both Phuket Beach Club and Mai Khao Beach Club. Both are wonderful resorts. The PBC units are built in the gardens of the JW Marriott. Mai Khao units are built separately a very short walk away from the JW and PBC. The units at Mai Khao are newer and much more contemporary than the units at PBC which are morenthainstyle with more teak floors and darker in their design and decor. Both resorts are very well fitted and beautiful.

The main difference is that PBC guests have full access to all the pools at the JW whereas at Mai Khao you will have only your own pool to use. Access to the beach is easier at PBC but Mai Khao run golf buggy transfers to the beach whichnisnonly a short walk away. Mai Khao guests can use all the restaurants and bars at the JW and charge to the account for the villa. You will have your own fitness centre and kids facilities and concierge at Ai Khao whereas PBC guests use the JW facilities.

As stated you will not have access to the pools at the JW but policing is not really enforced. There are no wrist bands or that sort of thing - at least not when we were last there in Feb. issues might arise if you are asked for your villa number but the staff are very polite and helpful so I would guess that you will be welcomed.

So do not miss the opportunity to enjoy this premier MVCI location.

jin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We can't go consecutive wks as we are going to Bali the following wk, so I need to decide if it is worth losing my getaway value and grabbing the PBC unit, or just staying put....if I could get out of the getaway or swap it for PBC I would, but ii won't budge, and not sure if could take advantage of insurance some how.....Thx for everyone's response thus far!
GO to Phuket!
Stay in both units if you can get the weeks to run consequtively.

We have stayed at both Phuket Beach Club and Mai Khao Beach Club. Both are wonderful resorts. The PBC units are built in the gardens of the JW Marriott. Mai Khao units are built separately a very short walk away from the JW and PBC. The units at Mai Khao are newer and much more contemporary than the units at PBC which are morenthainstyle with more teak floors and darker in their design and decor. Both resorts are very well fitted and beautiful.

The main difference is that PBC guests have full access to all the pools at the JW whereas at Mai Khao you will have only your own pool to use. Access to the beach is easier at PBC but Mai Khao run golf buggy transfers to the beach whichnisnonly a short walk away. Mai Khao guests can use all the restaurants and bars at the JW and charge to the account for the villa. You will have your own fitness centre and kids facilities and concierge at Ai Khao whereas PBC guests use the JW facilities.

As stated you will not have access to the pools at the JW but policing is not really enforced. There are no wrist bands or that sort of thing - at least not when we were last there in Feb. issues might arise if you are asked for your villa number but the staff are very polite and helpful so I would guess that you will be welcomed.

So do not miss the opportunity to enjoy this premier MVCI location.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Phuket then Bali. Sounds awesome.

No matter what, you will have a great time. But the expanse and facilities at the Beach Club exceed Mai Khao. I think you would think it is money well spent to switch. You aren't really throwing away your getaway $$--you are just using a lock off week. Look at it that way. :D

jin

TUG Member
Reaction score

No matter what, you will have a great time. But the expanse and facilities at the Beach Club exceed Mai Khao. I think you would think it is money well spent to switch. You aren't really throwing away your getaway $$--you are just using a lock off week. Look at it that way. :D

I'm wondering if we use the facilities at pbc and JW anyway (since apparently pools are not enforced) if really worth the loss of $600 for not using getaway... is "the feel" of actually staying in room at PBC that much better?

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
I'm wondering if we use the facilities at pbc and JW anyway (since apparently pools are not enforced) if really worth the loss of $600 for not using getaway... is "the feel" of actually staying in room at PBC that much better?

Likely not. Your point is well taken. You just have to go "across the street" to sleep. You could run into some trouble if they enforce the pool rules. As others have said, they are not tough on that like Aruba. Aruba has a SWAT level patrol looking for violators.

jin

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, looking forward to this almost "free" trip. Got 4 freq flier tiks for 80,000 miles each using ana tool (value of each tik at least $6-8,000 each), getaway at Mai Khao $600, Conrad in Bali 1100 sq ft rm free with Hilton Honor pts....Thx for your responses!

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, looking forward to this almost "free" trip. Got 4 freq flier tiks for 80,000 miles each using ana tool (value of each tik at least $6-8,000 each), getaway at Mai Khao $600, Conrad in Bali 1100 sq ft rm free with Hilton Honor pts....Thx for your responses!

I would keep the Mai Khao getaway and just use the pools at the JW. There is no obvious form of enforcement. No wrist bands etc. the staff are there to look after you not to police the guests use of facilities. The only issue you would face is if you want to order food or drinks by the pool and then sign the cost to your villa. The Villas at Mai Khao have a separate numbering system distinct from PBC and the JW so that you can sign restaurant and bar bills to your villa account.

So either you can walk to the JW main reception entrance and then through to the main pool and beach front or take the free shuttle bus that runs every 20 mins all day. Then decide which pool to use. If you have small kids use the main pool since it has an excellent kids pool area. My personal favourite is the pool at the north end of the property because it is designated as the tranquility pool. Also it is closer to Mai Khao for the walk back.

Finally the staff that work at each pool will look after you very very well. Keep you supplied with iced water, it is safe to drink, the JW does not want to poison the guests! I have stayed at the resorts there twice a year for a good number of years now and most of the pool staff have been there all the years we have been going. They will look after you very well.

Enjoy a great vacation.