• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any advise to give my timeshare away?

grotsfo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I just can’t afford paying maintenance fees, especially when I don’t use the timeshare at all. The resort won’t take it back and I’m afraid if I quit paying my maintenance fees, my credit will be impacted. I was scammed by two different companies as well trying to sell it. I could appreciate some advise. Thanks!

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
I just can’t afford paying maintenance fees, especially when I don’t use the timeshare at all. The resort won’t take it back and I’m afraid if I quit paying my maintenance fees, my credit will be impacted. I was scammed by two different companies as well trying to sell it. I could appreciate some advise. Thanks!
Where and what do you own?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The most important piece of advice (which is too late) is to NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, pay an upfront fee to sell a property. A nominal advertising fee (<$100) does not present a problem, but if you pay someone a few thousand dollars to sell your property, once they have your money, they have no further financial incentive. Honest brokers get paid from escrow, not upfront.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it's free and clear, this is the place to offer it. Make an attractive ad. Tell what the resort is, season, unit size, how much are the MF? who'll pay the transfer? include some pictures if you have them, otherwise cabbage them from the corporate website.
You might have to revisit your ad from time to time, refresh it and bump it to the top of the forum.

Many folks have re-homed unwanted TSs here.

Jim

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

If its Vacation Village someone would likely want it. All of the maintenance fee's would need to be caught up to transfer ownership. Some one might pay the mf if they get the week.

Bill

grotsfo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Where and what do you own?
It’s Vacation Village at Bonaventure, even usage week in May. I have an RCI subscription that allows me to exchange the points any time if the year anywhere subject to availability. The timeshare is paid off and the maintenance fee is around $900 biennial, coming due next January.

grotsfo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If it's free and clear, this is the place to offer it. Make an attractive ad. Tell what the resort is, season, unit size, how much are the MF? who'll pay the transfer? include some pictures if you have them, otherwise cabbage them from the corporate website.
You might have to revisit your ad from time to time, refresh it and bump it to the top of the forum.

Many folks have re-homed unwanted TSs here.

Jim
I would totally give it away if someone pays the upcoming maintenance fee and the transfer. Thank you for the advise.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
It’s Vacation Village at Bonaventure, even usage week in May. I have an RCI subscription that allows me to exchange the points any time if the year anywhere subject to availability. The timeshare is paid off and the maintenance fee is around $900 biennial, coming due next January.
Would be additionally helpful to know the exact week in May and how many bedrooms and bathrooms

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
grotsfo
You should actually set up an ad here in the Bargain Deals subforum. Simply follow the basic outline you'll see there by reading a few of others' ads. Another question you should answer in your ad- Is it in RCI Points? If so, how many and what is the date of it's 'Use Year?

If so, that adds to it's value. Vacation Village has a good RCI Points/MF ratio and Biennial makes it even more valuable. If it isn't, I'm just whistling into the wind.

Last edited:

grotsfo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Would be additionally helpful to know the exact week in May and how many bedrooms and bathrooms
It’s week 21. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms; holds 6 people. I have 52000 RCI points biennial. So, I can reserve the exact week with the resort or it’s affiliates, or reserve any other unit any time of the year in a totally different resort. I’ll post an ad here; hopefully someone will take it asap. Thank you!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s week 21. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms; holds 6 people. I have 52000 RCI points biennial. So, I can reserve the exact week with the resort or it’s affiliates, or reserve any other unit any time of the year in a totally different resort. I’ll post an ad here; hopefully someone will take it asap. Thank you!
That's not a bad deal for somebody. 52K RCI points EOY is a usable stash for (amortized) $450 a year, while not the greatest (we like a penny-a-point-a-year), but it's better than OK. Good Luck re-homing it.

Jim

Tee

Reaction score
I have the same problem: two perfectly good and paid up Wyndham points contacts, that I simply don't need. No one wants them for free. Two shoppers did not want to pay closing costs, and one was a shameless scam shopper.

All I do with these contracts is convert to RCI points and get some tiny hotel discounts from time to time

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I have the same problem: two perfectly good and paid up Wyndham points contacts, that I simply don't need. No one wants them for free. Two shoppers did not want to pay closing costs, and one was a shameless scam shopper.

All I do with these contracts is convert to RCI points and get some tiny hotel discounts from time to time
Did you try to see if wyndham would take them back through certified exit?

Tee

Reaction score
Did you try to see if wyndham would take them back through certified exit?

No, I did not ask Wyndham to take them back; because, I did not buy them from Wyndham. I did not buy them from the developer. They are not developer points. I highly doubt that Wyndham would take them back through certified exit when Wyndham never sold them to me in the first place.

These are used contracts. These are second-hand contracts. This is not a contract from the developer. While ba Wyndham is the property manager, Wyndham did not sell the contract to me.

I mean, Wyndham points legally are interests in real property. In normal residential real property transactions, the buyer handles the closing costs, and only rarely does the seller either split or cover the closing costs.

I am finding that closing costs are a foreign concept to casual bargain shoppers. I also am finding a significant number of sellers offering to have the sellers cover closing costs, and often top that with additional cash incentives. I really wonder if I need to sweeten my offer by covering closing costs and adding a cash bonus. Is that really necessary? I mean, they are fully paid up contracts with unused points in prime vacation locations. I really am very frustrated by the second-hand market. I'm not greedy or looking for an investment profit; I'm just looking to make another vacationer happy with perfectly reputable and good time-share contracts.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does not matter where you purchased them as far as Wyndham taking them back. They won't take all locations, but they are interested in some of them. Tell us what you have and we can provide better advice.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
No, I did not ask Wyndham to take them back; because, I did not buy them from Wyndham. I did not buy them from the developer. They are not developer points. I highly doubt that Wyndham would take them back through certified exit when Wyndham never sold them to me in the first place.

These are used contracts. These are second-hand contracts. This is not a contract from the developer. While ba Wyndham is the property manager, Wyndham did not sell the contract to me.

I mean, Wyndham points legally are interests in real property. In normal residential real property transactions, the buyer handles the closing costs, and only rarely does the seller either split or cover the closing costs.

I am finding that closing costs are a foreign concept to casual bargain shoppers. I also am finding a significant number of sellers offering to have the sellers cover closing costs, and often top that with additional cash incentives. I really wonder if I need to sweeten my offer by covering closing costs and adding a cash bonus. Is that really necessary? I mean, they are fully paid up contracts with unused points in prime vacation locations. I really am very frustrated by the second-hand market. I'm not greedy or looking for an investment profit; I'm just looking to make another vacationer happy with perfectly reputable and good time-share contracts.
Wyndham accepts some second hand contracts though Certified Exit

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
im not aware of any restriction by wyndham on buying resale in terms of accepting them back.

why would you not at least call and ask?

Tee

Reaction score
im not aware of any restriction by wyndham on buying resale in terms of accepting them back.

why would you not at least call and ask?
Have you or anyone else ever actually done this? If so, please tell.

Reading random and whimsical advice with no legal or experienced basis is a total waste of precious minutes in my life that I never will get back.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

Reading random and whimsical advice with no legal or experienced basis is a total waste of precious minutes in my life that I never will get back.
Really?

Maybe you shouldn't ask for free advise here. Hire an attorney or pay thousands to an exit company.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

you registered here nearly a decade ago....

the wyndham exit program has existed since 2016...and its been a sticky in the wyndham forum since 2016 with hundreds if not thousands of successful folks using the program for free.

its so popular we even created an advice article specifically to explain the program with contact details and links for owners to use to get in direct contact with the correct department.

on top of that at least every other week or so we publish the links about this specific exit program across all our social media pages and in our newsletter occasionally.

that said I am certainly sorry to have wasted your precious time in an effort to help you.

Tee

Reaction score
you registered here nearly a decade ago....

the wyndham exit program has existed since 2016...and its been a sticky in the wyndham forum since 2016 with hundreds if not thousands of successful folks using the program for free.

its so popular we even created an advice article specifically to explain the program with contact details and links for owners to use to get in direct contact with the correct department.

on top of that at least every other week or so we publish the links about this specific exit program across all our social media pages and in our newsletter occasionally.

that said I am certainly sorry to have wasted your precious time in an effort to help you.
I note that your reply is not responsive to my clearly stated issue, and I accept your certain apology.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you certainly express all the traits that an exit company is looking for in a customer!

best of luck!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

dozens if not hundreds of resale owners have given back wyndham resale for no fees. But regardless, the whole program is based on changing unpublished rules so the results of last month or last year may not be the same as the result as a call today. This applies to retail owners as well as resale. Certified exit will not give you 3 years of free points use without MF's for resale owners (even though one tugger says a few years back he was made that offer) but it will allow you to do a deed back as long as your resort(s) are not on the (again unpublished and changing) list that cannot be given back and there is no loan and you are up to date with MF's. The only way to know if your ownership currently qualifies is to call and you can get an offer that will be good for 30 days if you accept the offer, if you are offered a deed back opportunity.