• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any advice would be welcome

theoutlaw321

Reaction score
1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?Either Myrtle Beach or Florida

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?Visit home resort at least half the time. Unless I have more than one. Then I would probably trade half and half.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?Florida. grand canyon. Hawaii. Yellowstone Park area. Carribean.

4) How many people do you usually travel with?1-5

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?Pretty flexible.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?Yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?4

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?After doing research, looks like there are plenty for little to nothing.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?Depends on the resort. The week.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?Yes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?Yes

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
You are correct in that there are many, many units that can be had at zero upfront cost. But be very careful; some of them are quite delightful and useful, but others (hurricane season, units with deferred maintenance, etc.) have profoundly negative values.

I will not opine on specific developments as I am west coast oriented. But you should feel free to ask us about specific TS units before committing yourself.

Also, be aware that many TS's can be rented for less than the maintenance fee. You don't want to own one of those unless you have a very specific reason. Reviewing rental ads on the TUG Marketplace and Redweek will give you some hints if one of your prospective acquisitions is in this unfortunate category.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
What area of Florida?

East Coast, West Coast, Orlando, Panhandle, Keys .... and even those categories are LARGE in area. And with very different vibes. And different dangers and travel costs to get there.

I went to college NEAR Daytona Beach, my roommate was from Ft Lauderdale (she graduated from the Ft Lauderdale High School). I visited WDW many times the first 6 months it was opened, and MCO stood for McCoy Air Force Base back then. And Orlando Airport is for private planes only (if still open).

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think HGVC would be a good fit. A good unit wouldn't be free (but it isn't clear if that is vital to you or not). But it has good Florida options (Orlando and gulf coast) as well as lots of Hawaii options. They also have just announced a property in Barbados. That covers all your list at the 4* level except Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon, neither of which have 4* options.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My $.02 is the OP should consider a bundle of resale Wyndham points, based at a resort within reasonable driving distance of home. They should get sufficient quantity to allow booking a 2 bedroom during high season.

Jim

theoutlaw321

Reaction score
What area of Florida?

East Coast, West Coast, Orlando, Panhandle, Keys .... and even those categories are LARGE in area. And with very different vibes. And different dangers and travel costs to get there.

I went to college NEAR Daytona Beach, my roommate was from Ft Lauderdale (she graduated from the Ft Lauderdale High School). I visited WDW many times the first 6 months it was opened, and MCO stood for McCoy Air Force Base back then. And Orlando Airport is for private planes only (if still open).
Orlando/Kissimmee or the Keys. But upon research the resale costs are more than I'd pay for the Keys.

theoutlaw321

Reaction score
My $.02 is the OP should consider a bundle of resale Wyndham points, based at a resort within reasonable driving distance of home. They should get sufficient quantity to allow booking a 2 bedroom during high season.

Jim
Would a points package be more benefical than a fixed week? The only experience I have with timeshares is that my parents have a fixed week. And I have rented a week from a friends a couple of times.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Jim

Don’t know much about Wyndham, but are they 4* resorts? I know not all HGVC are 4*, but I thought most were.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don’t know much about Wyndham, but are they 4* resorts? I know not all HGVC are 4*, but I thought most were.
Me either. How do you define 4*? I think of them as quite close to other top, hotel branded resorts. Stainless appliances, granite countertops, etc. But maybe they have the bathroom down the hall and a Sears catalog beside the outhouse John.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Me either. How do you define 4*?

Just going by what is generally said here on Tug. The reviews, by quick glance are higher at HGVC and there are more ratings higher than 9 as well.

Again, I have never stayed at a Wyndham resort (and only one Wyndham hotel) so I’m not sure.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Wyndham, Marriott, Hilton, Holiday Inn Club Vacations, Bluegreen, and Westgate have resorts in Myrtle Beach (I do not recommend Westgate). If you were to buy a summer week at one of the first 4 listed resorts you could have a strong trader. There are also independently owned timeshares located in Myrtle Beach. Depending on what exchange company you use (RCI and Interval International are the big two) you then can trade into other places you would like to visit.

theoutlaw321

Reaction score
I have been offered a BOGO. With seller paying all closing costs and transfer costs. I assume that I will have to pay the RCI charges. Is there anything else I should make sure of as I decide whether to pursue this or not? Maintenance fees are current.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I suggest you CONFESS which chain of timeshares. Most of us have OWNED our stuff for over 10 years, been to way MORE than just the chains we own at and also have DUMPED the worst ownerships.

Yes, we all have adjusted our ownerships ... some for dislike of the resort, some as our vacation interests have changed and some due to increasing MFs.

I have downsized due to change of life issues and the ecomony.