• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Another villa group preferred access member buyers regret

ilumo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I wouldn’t say it’s fully buyers regret. It’s more of reading everything online that’s painting my recent purchase in a negative light that is making me worry.
like many of you all we got suckered into free excursions for a presentation. We went into this fully not expecting to buy anything and we’re going to be adamant at not pulling the trigger.
a bit of background- we are world travelers and love to vacation a couple of times a year - one city vacation (Europe/asia) and a beach resort vacation (Caribbean/cruise/Mexico/etc).It’s usually our family of 4 and we are fine staying in suites with 2 double beds. We don’t like traveling to the same place every year and prefer to explore different locations.
fast fwd to the “presentation” located at the villa del Palma flamingos. They were able to sell us 1200 points all cash purchase for 18500. Maintenance currently at 557/yr.
now we don’t mind going to Mexico every few years but their selling point to us was that we could “trade” our points with interval international to go to different locations (similar “elite” resorts and hotels) and so we wouldn’t be wasting our points if we don’t go to Mexico every year.
my question is are they BSing us? Will there be issues if we try to book similar level hotels in Paris, Hawaii, Rome, etc when we decide to go to Europe? We don’t mind putting in some leg work to massage the dates and times to optimize the points usage. But want to know if that will be possible.
we signed for 50 years but are well aware at our usage level we’ll probably use up everything in 10-15 years.
we bought 3 days ago so I’m assuming I have 2 more days to rescind. I don’t think we will but myskepticism is making me post here. Thanks all!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
are they BSing us? Will there be issues if we try to book similar level hotels in Paris, Hawaii, Rome, etc

Yes, they were BSing you.

It will be very difficult and usually impossible to exchange for Paris, Hawaii, Rome, etc. There are very few timeshares in big cities in Europe, the competition is fierce, and you don't have strong trading power with a timeshare in Mexico.

RESCIND!

ilumo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, they were BSing you.

It will be very difficult and usually impossible to exchange for Paris, Hawaii, Rome, etc. There are very few timeshares in big cities in Europe, the competition is fierce, and you don't have strong trading power with a timeshare in Mexico.

RESCIND!

interesting. So that big book of similar “elite” resorts and hotels in the interval international is not going to work?
the sales guy said I would just have to call the II rep and tell them which time I will want to book and where and they can typically do it when we have enough lead time. Are you saying this is not going to be possible? They just said we would have to pay to 250 extra fee for booking a hotel. And $199 for booking a resort.
What if we want to swap for different Caribbean/tropical type beach resorts? Will those be easier to swap. Eg. Virgin Islands, coasts rica, Jamaica, etc.
we typically look for deals in Expedia and for the family of 4 all inclusive type trip for 8-10 days usually costs us 5-7k with flight tickets. I did some math and this 8-10 days will be about 1200-1500 pts per trip and my math is ~$930 per 1200 points. So call it $1000 even for room and board. Which means we have another $4000+ for food/plane tickets which seems to be a pretty good deal still? Am I doing my math wrong?

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
we bought 3 days ago so I’m assuming I have 2 more days to rescind.
TUG mantra is Rescind, Research, Resale. If you're doubting, you should rescind. The deal will be there later if you decide. There should be instructions on how to rescind. Send a copy to PROFECO (consumer protection) and let the resort know in your letter that you sent PROFECO a copy.
It’s more of reading everything online that’s painting my recent purchase in a negative light that is making me worry.
Most of the time it's better to buy resale. I don't know much about Villa Group, but their resorts look very nice. Most complaints about TS companies are about the sales teams.
We don’t like traveling to the same place every year and prefer to explore different locations.
fast fwd to the “presentation” located at the villa del Palma flamingos. They were able to sell us 1200 points all cash purchase for 18500. Maintenance currently at 557/yr.
There are plenty of resale units that will allow you to exchange into other properties, and Mexico is fairly easy to get as an exchange. I've seen plenty of Villa resorts available for exchange. My non-high end TS can exchange into tons of great resorts in Mexico. I could also use our Marriott, but it's overkill for what is needed to use to exchange.
my question is are they BSing us? Will there be issues if we try to book similar level hotels in Paris, Hawaii, Rome, etc when we decide to go to Europe? We don’t mind putting in some leg work to massage the dates and times to optimize the points usage. But want to know if that will be possible.
I don't know, but I know you can get a Marriott on the resale market for much less (some of the better traders sell for $1K-$2.5K). You'll likely have a better shot at Paris (Marriott has a TS near there) and Hawaii. We own at Marriott Grand Chateau and have traded for Hawaii Marriott resorts plenty of times. Plenty of availability in Spain and Thailand (I realize it's not Europe) to name a few other countries.
the sales guy said I would just have to call the II rep and tell them which time I will want to book and where and they can typically do it when we have enough lead time. Are you saying this is not going to be possible? They just said we would have to pay to 250 extra fee for booking a hotel.
You may (keyword) be able to get some great resorts in some great locations, but you can definitely get to them with a resale (Marriott or other) unit that trades in II...for much less than your buy-in. Short answer is if your unit has the trade power, you can request and get matched to other resorts.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It will be very difficult/impossible to exchange into the top resorts: 1) You are competing with everyone else in the world that owns a timeshare, 2) there is far more demand than supply, 3) many other owners own timeshare resorts with more exchange power than a timeshare in Mexico, and 4) you are compting with them for exchanges.

The "Big Book" is just a list of resorts that are affliated with the exchange company: It doesn't mean they have deposited anything into the exchange pool for you to trade for.

Timeshare sales people lie for a living, and the ones in Mexico are some of the worst, because they aren't under US juristiction.

Last edited:

ilumo

TUG Member
Reaction score
TUG mantra is Rescind, Research, Resale. If you're doubting, you should rescind. The deal will be there later if you decide. There should be instructions on how to rescind. Send a copy to PROFECO (consumer protection) and let the resort know in your letter that you sent PROFECO a copy.

Most of the time it's better to buy resale. I don't know much about Villa Group, but their resorts look very nice. Most complaints about TS companies are about the sales teams.

There are plenty of resale units that will allow you to exchange into other properties, and Mexico is fairly easy to get as an exchange. I've seen plenty of Villa resorts available for exchange. My non-high end TS can exchange into tons of great resorts in Mexico. I could also use our Marriott, but it's overkill for what is needed to use to exchange.

I don't know, but I know you can get a Marriott on the resale market for much less (some of the better traders sell for $1K-$2.5K). You'll likely have a better shot at Paris (Marriott has a TS near there) and Hawaii. We own at Marriott Grand Chateau and have traded for Hawaii Marriott resorts plenty of times. Plenty of availability in Spain and Thailand (I realize it's not Europe) to name a few other countries.

I presume you'll be able to get some great resorts in some great locations, but you can get to them with a resale (Marriott or other) unit that trades in II...for much less than your buy-in. Short answer is if your unit has the trade power, you can request and get matched to other resorts.
It will be very difficult/impossible to exchange into the top resorts: 1) You are competing with everyone else in the world that owns a timeshare, 2) there is far more demand than supply, 3) many other owners own timeshare resorts with more exchange power than a timeshare in Mexico, and 4) you are compting with them for exchanges.

The "Big Book" is just a list of resorts that are affliated with the exchange company: It doesn't mean they have deposited anything into the exchange pool for you to trade for.
Thanks for the quick replies!
The other notion I’m confused on is. Is my product a “timeshare” I don’t think I own anything. It’s just a floating unit that can be used in any of the villa group properties. So essentially their “best resort” will be the one I’m trading on the market when I’m looking for an alternate location. That said I completely understand that there’s a lot of demand. I don’t need a top resort. It just needs to be more than 3 stars. My SO is snobby like that :)
If I can’t do the more desirable locations, I am also ok with Mexico every few years. With my math I think I’m still out ahead going to Mexican resorts with upgraded rooms vs what I’m paying now. Or am I wrong about this too?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
The salesman's job is to take a fact (Interval has associate resorts all over the world) and spin it into a dream (I can exchange it into any resort I want all over the world). They have no incentive to teach you the truth that what you paid thousands for will have very littlee exchange power. By the time you learn that on your own, you are committed and they have their commission.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind, research, resale marriott or another great exchanger.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is the thing - if you really want a timeshare in Mexico, you can get them on the resale market for cheap and free, and still trade them with exchange companies. You don't have to buy from the resort That being said, I would acquire a free timeshare in the US, under US jurisdiction.

We have a forum where Tuggers give away free timeshares: https://tugbbs.com/forums/forums/free-timeshare-giveaways-and-bargain-deals.55/

I have both given and received multiple free timeshares here.

ilumo

TUG Member
Reaction score

You may (keyword) be able to get some great resorts in some great locations, but you can definitely get to them with a resale (Marriott or other) unit that trades in II...for much less than your buy-in. Short answer is if your unit has the trade power, you can request and get matched to other resorts.
Thanks for your replies. Very helpful. these are important points to digest while I think about refunding. I suppose I should have the profector on standby in case I cancel in the next day or so.
To be honest the sales guys were really nice and not pushy whatsoever. That said we were not playing hardball with them either. I think the numbers started at 35k and then we negotiated to 18500 and thought that was a decent deal. Now my research shows it’s should be closer to 12-15k. But that’s not the biggest issue.
the biggest issue is if we can use this 1. For trading other vacations we would go on. 2. If we cannot trade for other vacations, then to go to similar “high end” Carribean resorts. Not expecting crazy 5 star places. For example we are at the Hilton in PV now and find the place to be very enjoyable.
If we can’t do either and it’s going to be similar pricing to Expedia then for sure we will likely rescind.
when you say you can get 1.5-2.5k Marriott resale, what does that mean? Is that a single vacation I can get for 1.5-2.5k (7 days)?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
you can get a Marriott on the resale market for much less (some of the better traders sell for $1K-$2.5K)

This is the price to buy a Marriott timeshare on the resale market. In this case, you would have the right to/ownership of, one week per year.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
It honestly seems like you are trying to rationalize your decision. Barring listening to these warnings, the only way to see their real value is to to try to trade with it and eventually try to get rid of it.

Some folks in here are trying to help you learn from their mistakes instead of your own.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You must RESCIND. Then ask all your questions.

You can buy a resale Marriott week that can exchange into another week at almost every other Marriott timeshare for $1500 - $2000 USD. Then there is the annual maintenance fees, which are typically $1200 - $2400 / year.
Exchanging within Interval International has quite a learning curve. It is not like booking a hotel. To get the nicest properties, you need to have a strong trader. In general, the resorts in Mexico are not the strongest traders.

We have read many tales of woe from people who were sold (in other words, they did not set out to buy) a timeshare, and now are stuck with something that is essentially worthless, and does not trade well. You don't want to be in that situation.

ilumo

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the price to buy a Marriott timeshare on the resale market. In this case, you would have the right to/ownership of, one week per year.
Can you explain how that would be better than what I have now?
I have 50 years at (18500/50) + 557. So that’s $927 per week. This is a studio/jr suite.
Does the Marriott time share also charge a yearly maintenance? Or is that included in the cost? And am I just buying a single use in the resale market or so I have a xx year commitment as well?

ilumo

TUG Member
Reaction score
You must RESCIND. Then ask all your questions.

You can buy a resale Marriott week that can exchange into another week at almost every other Marriott timeshare for $1500 - $2000 USD. Then there is the annual maintenance fees, which are typically $1200 - $2400 / year.
Exchanging within Interval International has quite a learning curve. It is not like booking a hotel. To get the nicest properties, you need to have a strong trader. In general, the resorts in Mexico are not the strongest traders.
Ok. This makes sense. So what is the best way to rescind? I really don’t want to have that awkward convo with the sales guy. But if I have to then I will.
I have them on my what’s app chat and they have been really good to us. But you’re right. I should have done more research first before pulling the trigger.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
The other notion I’m confused on is. Is my product a “timeshare” I don’t think I own anything.
Mexico TS are right to use, not deeded.
If I can’t do the more desirable locations, I am also ok with Mexico every few years. With my math I think I’m still out ahead going to Mexican resorts with upgraded rooms vs what I’m paying now. Or am I wrong about this too?
The math: Value: Resale Marriott > Purchase From Developer; Cost: Purchase From Developer > Resale Marriott. That $18.5K plus MF every year will not be as good as $1K-$2.5K plus MF Marriott trader. Or just rent from owners when you want to go to Mexico.
when you say you can get 1.5-2.5k Marriott resale, what does that mean? Is that a single vacation I can get for 1.5-2.5k (7 days)?
You can purchase a deed to a very good Marriott trader (one time cost). Then you pay maintenance fees every year. We purchased 2BR Marriott Grand Chateau unit for less than $2K. MF are less than $700/year (less than $1400 total). We get an average of 1 vacation a year since we split the unit into a 1BR and studio and trade for other locations. Or buy an every year and get 2 vacations a year.
I'm not a Marriott salesman, but I really like Marriott. Marriott is not the only brand that trades well in II. My Colonies unit has a MF of ~$960/year. But it's a 4BR lock-off that we split into 2 2BR weeks. So our MF is ~$480 per unit. There are fees for trading in II, but you'd have those with your current purchase as well.
So what is the best way to rescind?
The instructions should be in your packet with the contract. In addition to what it says, let them know you sent a copy to PROFECO.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do NOT go talk to the sales guy - he cannot process the recission and he will move heaven and earth to talk you out of it - and lie to you some more.

Follow the instructions in your packet to rescind in writing EXACTLY as directed, and keep a copy of everything - note that you have a deadline.

Have you already given them money, or your credit card number?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you explain how that would be better than what I have now?
I have 50 years at (18500/50) + 557. So that’s $927 per week. This is a studio/jr suite.
Does the Marriott time share also charge a yearly maintenance? Or is that included in the cost? And am I just buying a single use in the resale market or so I have a xx year commitment as well?

You would be buying perpetual ownwership. The upside is that unless something dramatic happens to the popularity of Marriott, you will divest your ownwership much, much, much more easily than you would your mexican vacation club.

The Marriott cost of ownership is typically higher than your example, but is for a typically larger unit and unequivocally gives you many more exchange options, as its trade value would be MUCH higher.

You should also know that your $557 will increase every year, as will maintenance fees at Marriott or any other timeshare or club.

Another way to look at it: you have two days to rescind or be stuck with it. If you keep it, it is yours. If you rescind, then in the unlikely case you research and still want it, they will be quite happy to sell it to you again, maybe even on better terms. Your questions lead me to conclude that you don't sufficiently know what you are getting into.....

ilumo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can
Mexico TS are right to use, not deeded.

The math: Value: Resale Marriott > Purchase From Developer; Cost: Purchase From Developer > Resale Marriott. That $18.5K plus MF every year will not be as good as $1K-$2.5K plus MF Marriott trader. Or just rent from owners when you want to go to Mexico.

You can purchase a deed to a very good Marriott trader (one time cost). Then you pay maintenance fees every year. We purchased 2BR Marriott Grand Chateau unit for less than $2K. MF are less than $700/year (less than $1400 total). We get an average of 1 vacation a year since we split the unit into a 1BR and studio and trade for other locations. Or buy an every year and get 2 vacations a year.
I'm not a Marriott salesman, but I really like Marriott. Marriott is not the only brand that trades well in II. My Colonies unit has a MF of ~$960/year. But it's a 4BR lock-off that we split into 2 2BR weeks. So our MF is ~$480 per unit. There are fees for trading in II, but you'd have those with your current purchase as well.

The instructions should be in your packet with the contract. In addition to what it says, let them know you sent a copy to PROFECO.
Can we rescind on a Saturday night or Sunday? We bought on weds night. Just want to make sure they won’t try to pull one on us saying they can’t do it on a weekend.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We don't know: READ the instructions and see what they say.

ilumo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do NOT go talk to the sales guy - he cannot process the recission and he will move heaven and earth to talk you out of it - and lie to you some more.

Follow the instructions in your packet to rescind in writing EXACTLY as directed, and keep a copy of everything - note that you have a deadline.

Have you already given them money, or your credit card number?
I have given them my credit card. They have charged the full amount already. I’m assuming they will just refund me that later (I’m in no rush for credit as long as I get it)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As soon as you send the letter to rescind, you should also notify your credit card company that you are exercising your legal right to rescind this purchase, and send them a copy, because you may need their help.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Send the rescind letter out Today if your post office is still open. If not, Monday!!!

ilumo

TUG Member
Reaction score
As soon as you send the letter to rescind, you should also notify your credit card company that you are exercising your legal right to rescind this purchase, and send them a copy, because you may need their help.
Sorry I’m not very good at legalease. Can you take a look at these pictures and let me know if an email to the intermediary is to:
memberservices@villagroup.com?
And it states that I have 5 business days after the purchase so I think I should be good if I send the email today.
6C919F3C-F3D1-406B-BFB2-24CD8E106643.jpeg
BF27573D-46EC-44F4-95AC-C5BFB25A99F8.jpeg