• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Another sucker here [DRI Hawaii collection]

Ajrod27

Reaction score
Hi All,

I signed a contract on Monday for 4,500 points per year in the DRI Hawaii collection, plus 9000 bonus points for $22,000. Maintenance fees are $1225/yr. How bad did I do?

Also, I wanted to share what I think is a sales tactic. The sales presentation was extremely low pressure; the presenter gave us the spiel about the company, benefits, how much I would save based on my vacation habits, went over some packages, then said I'd be locked in at today's price for 18 months for when/if I decided to buy, and I was about to be on my way. Then the manager comes out with some papers that he's "legally obligated" to show me before I leave. Since I was referred by a member, I would receive the same rate as that member, if I bought today. The rates were about half what I was just presented, and knowing I had 7 days to think it over, I went ahead and signed.

Anybody else share this experience?

Thank you for your thoughts, opinions, critique!

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like you found out in plenty of time to rescind so no sucker at all. Rescind and stick around here. Some one here can give you a better idea on what price you can get that contract for on the resale market. I will be extremely surprised if you cannot save 90% or more. After some research you may even find a better product for your situation too.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I don't think 4500 points are going to get you a week anywhere unless you are traveling in smaller units in the off season. And if that is they case and you probably shouldn't have any problem doing it for the $1200 you are paying in MF's by renting without owning.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this 'good deal' is only good for the sales people. Rescind, then do some research here. Their deal is not 'ever' today only. The deal will be available next week, next month, next year if research shows it worthy (it won't).

This is too small a bundle of points to be usable in good size units in prime season.

Rescind, and go back to enjoying your vacation.

Jim

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
A sucker is someone who signs on the dotted line and doesn't bother to research until after the "rescind by" date. You, on the other hand, signed with a feeling something was not quite right and then did your homework.

Which means you are not a sucker at all. Congrats on finding TUG. Now go rescind with extreme prejudice, knowing you could have purchased the points for pennies on the resale market.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
RESCIND

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I cannot get that deal today? Oh man!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on finding us and saving yourself $22k!

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
RESCIND, I wish you could have asked your sale expert; these two (2) questions????

What week could you have exchange into for Hawaii with 4,500 base points and how many times could you use those 9000 bonus points to exchange into Hawaii or any Diamond Resort or II Resort ???:wall::wall::wall::crash::crash::crash::shrug::shrug::shrug::doh::doh:

Thanks for Rescinding and for finding this website. Now read from Tuggers and do your research before you purchase a timeshare.

"Knowledge is Power." by Bacon.......

Good luck and Happy Timeshare Vacations.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Clfffath, could the OP exchange into any DRI Hawaii resorts for seven (7) nights using only 4500 DRI points ???

A simply yes or no answer please.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
It appears that you paid about $4.89 per Point. We paid substantially less per Point than you did. Our last upgrade was this last August. We actually like our DRI Hawaiian Collection. We have spent 2 weeks in France on our DRI Membership. We have been to Hawaii several times. We are going to Cabo Azul this coming April. We own 18,500 (bought at 3 different times) out right and with Club Select/Club Combination we are Platinum.

You will not be able to do much with 4,500 Points. Except for smaller Units or Booking less than 60 before check in. Actually it is common for DRI to have units available in Hawaii at less than 60 days even at Point at Poipu.

I assume you have to use the Bonus points within 2 years. That tactic of finding something in the Computer at the last second is a common DRI Tactic. We sit through all the BS to get to that Point. Then we decide if we like the last minute thing found the Computer.

People will tell you to rescind and buy resell. The are several problems doing this with DRI:
1. You can only use resell Points directly in their Home Collection., whichever it is.
2. Each purchase of resell Points is held in a separate Account. So If you buy 3 different Accounts resell you have 3 separate Accounts with DRI.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Or people will tell you to rescind and rent or rescind and look at buying a system other than Diamond because it is one of a growing handful of developers that strips away core aspects of the program for resale buyers.

Most systems strip periphery programs like VIP/status benefits. Diamond has high management costs overall in my opinion, and while retail owners who made careful purchases might benefit from the perks of the programs, the majority of Diamond owners both resale and retail overpay for what they get. This view isn't helped by unintentional Diamond owners who have become unhappy owners because Diamond made deals to take over developer and management rights at their resorts.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
So I looked up what you could get for 4,500 Points or less in DRI in Hawaii. The listed Resorts are almost all affiliated Resorts. RVC Kona 1BR Mid Season; Sea Mountain Studio Mid or High Season, 1BR Mid Season; Sea Village 1BR Midd Season; Kapaa Shores 1BR Mid Season; Pono Kai 1BR Mid Season; Papakea 1BR Mid Season; Valley Isle 1BR Mid Season; and Royal Kuhio 1BR Mid Season.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Geist1223, thanks for taken your time for sharing this information about DRI. Wow, “ Knowledge is Power.”.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Any DRI Member can go to the DRI WEB Site and download the Directory.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Clfffath, could the OP exchange into any DRI Hawaii resorts for seven (7) nights using only 4500 DRI points ???

A simply yes or no answer please.

Not quite a simple no.

There are two ways the OP could do this.

The first is by saving all of their points from Year 1 for use in Year 2. Then in Year 2 they would have 9000 points available, which could be used for a one week reservation (e.g, garden view at Poipu). The kicker here is that saved points cannot be used for Home Resort Advantage, so they would not be able to book until 10 months out. Which means that if they want to travel during a peak period, there might not be any avaialability, and when they do book they are competing with all Club members.

The second option is burrowing points from next year. I've never done that so I don't know the details on how that works - specifically with respect to whether you can use Home Resort Advantage with borrowed points.

The first is a common DRI sales person obfuscation. In the initial presentation they make a big deal of Home Resort Advantage and being able to reserve 13 months in advance. If you want to travel in peak seasons, not having to wait for the 10-month window to open is a clear advantage. But when someone doesn't bite on a package that enables annual travel, they present one of the smaller packages such as this one, that allows travel every other year. They show how you can make that work by saving points.

But then they conveniently don't mention that using that strategy negates the Home Resort Advantage feature that they used to pitch the Hawaii Collection in the first place. If they are going to sell a 4500 point contract, they should sell that contract in the collection that has the lowest fees, which isn't the Hawaii collection.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Not quite a simple no.

There are two ways the OP could do this.

The first is by saving all of their points from Year 1 for use in Year 2. Then in Year 2 they would have 9000 points available, which could be used for a one week reservation (e.g, garden view at Poipu). The kicker here is that saved points cannot be used for Home Resort Advantage, so they would not be able to book until 10 months out. Which means that if they want to travel during a peak period, there might not be any avaialability, and when they do book they are competing with all Club members.

The second option is burrowing points from next year. I've never done that so I don't know the details on how that works - specifically with respect to whether you can use Home Resort Advantage with borrowed points.

The first is a common DRI sales person obfuscation. In the initial presentation they make a big deal of Home Resort Advantage and being able to reserve 13 months in advance. If you want to travel in peak seasons, not having to wait for the 10-month window to open is a clear advantage. But when someone doesn't bite on a package that enables annual travel, they present one of the smaller packages such as this one, that allows travel every other year. They show how you can make that work by saving points.

But then they conveniently don't mention that using that strategy negates the Home Resort Advantage feature that they used to pitch the Hawaii Collection in the first place. If they are going to sell a 4500 point contract, they should sell that contract in the collection that has the lowest fees, which isn't the Hawaii collection.

Yes but...Pedro47 specifically said "A simple yes or no answer please". Made me LOL this morning when he praised Geist1223's informative and more than yes or no answer answer saying "Knowledge is power"! As someone who already owned 35K Diamond US points the day I was sold 3K Hawaii points so that I could book Hawaii 13 months out (no explanation/disclosure that we had to have enough HAWAII points to book Hawaii at 13 months; could have had a billion US points, but sorry, can't use those to book Hawaii until 10 months out), I am well aware of Diamond's lies and obfuscations. Last Diàmond update sales person told me "Go with God, but just go". After I yelled FUAH at him loud enough for the entire office to hear, Cliff cut me off from any more sit downs.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Hi All,

I signed a contract on Monday for 4,500 points per year in the DRI Hawaii collection, plus 9000 bonus points for $22,000. Maintenance fees are $1225/yr. How bad did I do?

Also, I wanted to share what I think is a sales tactic. The sales presentation was extremely low pressure; the presenter gave us the spiel about the company, benefits, how much I would save based on my vacation habits, went over some packages, then said I'd be locked in at today's price for 18 months for when/if I decided to buy, and I was about to be on my way. Then the manager comes out with some papers that he's "legally obligated" to show me before I leave. Since I was referred by a member, I would receive the same rate as that member, if I bought today. The rates were about half what I was just presented, and knowing I had 7 days to think it over, I went ahead and signed.

Anybody else share this experience?

Thank you for your thoughts, opinions, critique!

Everyone is bang on. RESCIND. I am the minority here but maybe bank your 22 k and get income from it. Take that income and get a nice Airbnb. I have gotten ocean front one bedrooms in Maui for 130 a night. You can get almost 10 nights for just the maintenance fee. The income earned on your 22k every year cuts your costs even more. Plus you are not locked into a stupid contract that they can change the terms at any time.

This is a good group here so you can get some great rentals very reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Magnum

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inseasons Points
[DELETED: Advertising/soliciting are not allowed in the discussion forums. Our classifieds are in the TUG Marketplace, linked at the top of the page.]

Last edited by a moderator: