• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Another helpful hint when trying to rescind a timeshare purchase

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
A poster in the Mexico forum reported that he was able to cancel a timeshare purchase in Mexico via his credit card. He was past the five day rescission period allowed in Mexico but he was still with in the 14 day time period allowed by Visa to cancel a purchase.

I don't know if this policy applies to all Visa credit cards but it would certainly be something to check into if one were in such a situation.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I could see how the Mexican resort office processing rescissions, when faced with a rescission letter- even a few days late- AND notification of a credit card down payment being contested might be inclined to back down. Add a questionnaire from PROFECO questioning fraudulent sales practices, and they might decide the buyer is just not worth the hassle. The last thing they want to do is split the sales commission with a collection agency in another country.

That might give us another tactic to inform people of. Especially those that get trapped into buying at the beginning of their vacation and for any number of reasons don't get a rescission letter into the mail in the required 5 days.

We can hope.

Jim

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Comparing apples and enchiladas...

A poster in the Mexico forum reported that he was able to cancel a timeshare purchase in Mexico via his credit card. He was past the five day rescission period allowed in Mexico but he was still with in the 14 day time period allowed by Visa to cancel a purchase.

I don't know if this policy applies to all Visa credit cards but it would certainly be something to check into if one were in such a situation.

Whoa! Let's be very clear here that the legality of a binding contract and credit card company policy are completely unrelated issues and entirely separate conversations.

This tactic might very well work for a purchase in Mexico, simply because Mexican sellers know that they have absolutely no leverage over someone in the U.S.A. anyhow.
For a U.S. purchase by a U.S. citizen however, that ain't so. Credit card dispute alone in the U.S. would have absolutely no bearing or impact on a rescission attempted and filed "too late" under applicable state law if the U.S. developer chose to play hardball (...as I suspect that many would --- and they surely would ultimately prevail).

I'm happy for those who belatedly escaped a "Mexican Mistake", but I wouldn't want U.S. folks to think for one moment that it would ever be that easy here in the U.S.

Last edited:

cyseitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham Branson Meadows

We got $150 American Express Card for going to an owner update in July.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Howzzat now?

We got $150 American Express Card for going to an owner update in July.

Very happy for you --- but of what relevance is this to the discussion at hand about contract rescission and credit card dispute policies? :confused::shrug::confused: