• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

another "glad I found this place" member.

tig488

Reaction score
my family and i went on a trip over memorial day weekend with our best friends. they have been wyndham members for over a decade. my children, ages 7 and 9, are best friends with their children. we have gone on probably 5 or more trips with them over the last few years using their wyndham points. i never really knew how their timeshare worked. well, this recent trip to TN required us to go to a presentation. i was persuaded to purchase, after 6 hours in their office, mainly because our friends upgraded their account. there was some loophole that enabled them to get a "deal" on an upgrade and since we were with owners, we would get the same "deal".

i agreed to buy 308,000 points for $39K, MF of 120/mos. my "deal" got me double points for the first 2.5 years, making it 616000, and a VIP gold member.

i was comfortable with it at first, but after a few days i started searching the net. i got more and more concerned and decided to call my agent. she is super nice, honestly, she is a great person, but i know its her job to try to convince me that its the best thing for me and its a good deal.

my 10 day cancel period is thursday, but im gonna send it in tomorrow. funny thing is, the same thing happened about 5 years ago. while in vegas we did a presentation, i bought, and after returning home, decided to cancel. they still had that on file at this last presentation.

i really hate to cancel, especially after another rep told me i couldnt because he already pulled his comission off of my sale. i do feel bad for the lady that i dealt with tho.

anyway, glad i found this place and i hope it helps me to find some deals.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just think of all the things you will be able to do with that extra $37k+ in your pocket by buying resale. That is a lot of debt paid off, college saved for, first class flights, or whatever. Makes the decision to rescind a whole lot more settling, right?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Don't feel badly about the commission the lady isn't going to get. We thought our salesman at The Wyndham Bali Hai resort was a nice guy, but believe me, he only cares about the money he makes, and he was rude in the end, when he couldn't help us with our ownership.

Wyndham points are great, but buying resale is the right thing to do. No matter how many points they promise you for those five years, it is not worth $39K. Holy timeshare!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
i really hate to cancel, especially after another rep told me i couldnt because he already pulled his comission off of my sale. i do feel bad for the lady that i dealt with tho.

Why would you feel bad for someone (or group of people) who promised you a presentation gift if you would attend a 90-minute presentation but then held you there for 6 hours?

Why would you feel bad for someone (or group of people) who are lying to you (or at least not telling you the whole, honest truth) in order to get you to pay thousands of dollars for something that 1) you can buy for pennies on the dollar and 2) you can only turn around and sell for pennies on the dollar.

The lady you dealt with might have been "nice" but hey, I would be "nice" to someone too whom I was trying to con into paying $30000 for something that can be bought for peanuts right now.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Why would you feel bad for someone (or group of people) who promised you a presentation gift if you would attend a 90-minute presentation but then held you there for 6 hours?

Why would you feel bad for someone (or group of people) who are lying to you (or at least not telling you the whole, honest truth) in order to get you to pay thousands of dollars for something that 1) you can buy for pennies on the dollar and 2) you can only turn around and sell for pennies on the dollar.

The lady you dealt with might have been "nice" but hey, I would be "nice" to someone too whom I was trying to con into paying $30000 for something that can be bought for peanuts right now.

Agree completely. The commission she was making was probably around $8,000. I can be nice for $0.

She is a thief, because she knows Wyndham isn't worth anything on the resale market. It's the cheapest point system you can buy, and you can get the ones with high fees FREE. These salespeople are sickening! :mad:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The sad part is these Wyndham agents get a standard commission cut on a standard Real Estate deal. They are lying sacks of bull***t for $700-800 of a commission.

Keep your $39,000 for your retirement expenses. Whatever your monthly payment would have been, faithfully put that into a 401K account for your retirement. Kids can borrow for college; you can't for retirement. It will compound for years.

Buy RESALE.

AND don't take ANY PHONE calls from the Wyndham lady --- her job is to make you buy that over price timeshare which would be worth less than $50 after the 10 day rescind period of time is over.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree completely. The commission she was making was probably around $8,000....

Way, way lower .... they are expected to close 5 deals a month. The top salesperson in the Pompano area about 4 years ago only made $275,000. Most are under $40-45,000 yearly. At your pay scale, everyone of them would be pulling in $400,000+ yearly. No one would ever leave that job.

Each person in that office makes something off a deal. If a closer is brought in and gets you to sign, they split the commission with your original agent. The Discovery package has a separate fee schedule - but still a check to that guy. The closing guy gets a cut of those fees. The office supervisor gets a commission. The broker of record gets a commission. Wyndham pays rents for their sales models and utilities. The hangtag staff get a couple of dollars, too.

Anyone who might make a face or who sees that you brought ---- they ALL get some money to tell you what a great deal they got.

Last edited:

tig488

Reaction score
thats what happened in my case. originally i delt with the lady. the "regional manager" guy was working with our friends on the special "deal". when we told the lady he said we could get the deal, she just led us to him to seal it up.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL What do your friends have to say about all this? Do they still get their 'deal'?
Do they feel like suckers?

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Wyndham is in fact a great system and easy to use/enjoy. But at retail it is one of the worst cost/values there is. Retail Wyndham is NEVER a good deal. Resale, which can range from a penny or two on the retail dollar down to being paid to take it, is a great value. No financing required, buy it, pay the fees and enjoy! You are wise to rescind any retail purchase you may have been convinced to purchase. Rescind now.

Rob&Carol Q

Reaction score
Amuse yourself...do an ebay search to the exact Wyndham resort you were staying.

You might be dumfounded.

BTW, $120 a month in MF for 308,000 points might not be accurate but I'll let the experts chime in on that one.

tig488

Reaction score
im between a rock and a hard place with my friends, i havent told them yet, but im hesitant to. they have been members for over a decade, first with their father who left it to them. this deal they did was an upgrade. they went from VIP silver to VIP gold. im afraid if i call them they will think im just being cheap and not believe me, since they have been in the system so long. but on the other hand im afraid if i dont tell them, they will get mad. difficult situation.

oh ive been surfing ebay and other places. its amazing the deals you can find.

the manager called me earlier saying how good of a deal i got and that id be stupid if i cancelled. my package is worth 70k and its all about making memories, and do it for my kids. yada yada.

Rob&Carol Q

Reaction score
Rescind immediately and follow the directions contained in the package they gave you to the letter. Calling doesn't count, neither does faxing...register the rescission letter and mail it immediatedly...the Post Office is open!

BTW, it ain't worth $70K...probably closer to a couple $100's? You saw what was out there on ebay.

Just think of the memories you can make for $39K...Shoot, buy triple the amount of points on ebay and take the entire clan to Bonnet Creek and visit the mouse in Disneyland for a week and still have more than $30k left over...unless you really go mouse-happy....:hysterical:

You know what the correct answer is...

===
slightly different angle now...I'm a Wyndham owner as well, I also like the system. Been to some resorts and locations that I wouldn't have gone to with out it. But honestly, I paid waaaay too much an eon ago to buy into this system...Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet...:doh: I will add some points to my acount eventually but you can bet real money that it won't be via the developer.

Your cancellation decision is correct. I can't say for your friend's decision to upgrade VIP. The general consensus here is that VIP may not be worth the cost...but I can't speak to your friend's motivations. Some folk really, really like the VIP bennies that they get. Others would rather keep their cash.

But you gotta do what is right by you...

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
the manager called me earlier saying how good of a deal i got and that id be stupid if i cancelled. my package is worth 70k and its all about making memories, and do it for my kids. yada yada.

This isn't much different than the salesperson trying to sell a bottle of water for $39,000. Why pay that much when you can get the exact same tasting water for a buck?

If you want to take the salesman's advice and really do it for your kids the buy the TS for a buck and put the $39,000 towards their college fund.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you really feel that bad about your salesman and their lost commission, you could rescind and then send your salesman a check for $4000 (10%)

Oh by the way did I tell you Im a commissioned salesman too??

Seriously, dont feel bad, we salesman dont close every prospect we talk to, and a smart salesman wont spend their commission until the deal closes

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like lying started right off the bat. If you are using points then no obligation to do a sales pitch. Only if you signed up for say 2 night 3 day "free" tour special.

6 hours obviously wore you down. Would imagine several pepole worked you over.

Don't talk with anyone at resort. They will just stall you until recission period is up. Get in certified mail today!

Suggest to your friend they read on this forum about VIP benefits and Wyndham in general. Ask them how much they saved last year using VIP? Show them the resale ads you easily found. Ask if they know Wyndham has "F" BBB rating. Would they hire a plumber or any one with that?

As far as retail price was not bad, last I was quoted for this type pakage was $49,995 but resale for a couple bucks easily trumps.

MF are $1,440 which appear low. Could check MF calculator if specific resort is known.

Using CWA average of $4.89 + $.53 ($5.42) POA times 308K gives $1,669. My Nashville are $5.63!

Hang out here and learn the resale market! Lots of bargains just be extra careful like dealing with used car salesman!

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
im between a rock and a hard place with my friends, i havent told them yet, but im hesitant to.
Rescind now while you still can. Once the rescission period passes, you won't have this opportunity. Do your research. That deal will still be available later, no matter what the salesman or manager tell you. If, after weighing all your options and learning all you can, that deal is still as great as they say it is, you can buy it then as an informed & knowledgeable buyer. Tell your friends that if you feel you need to explain it to them, but do it AFTER you've sent your rescission letter.

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
the manager called me earlier saying how good of a deal i got and that id be stupid if i cancelled.
Sorry to be blunt, but you'll be stupid if you don't cancel!

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you really feel that bad about your salesman and their lost commission, you could rescind and then send your salesman a check for $4000 (10%)

Oh by the way did I tell you Im a commissioned salesman too??

Seriously, dont feel bad, we salesman dont close every prospect we talk to, and a smart salesman wont spend their commission until the deal closes

Good point. You could give away $4k and still have $35k (less the cost of your ebay purchase) in your pocket.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
im between a rock and a hard place with my friends, i havent told them yet, but im hesitant to. they have been members for over a decade, first with their father who left it to them. this deal they did was an upgrade. they went from VIP silver to VIP gold. im afraid if i call them they will think im just being cheap and not believe me....

I'll try not to get too philosophical here but if your friends can't respect your decision to rescind, especially when it will save you tens of thousands of dollars that you can't afford to waste, are they really good friends?

Bourne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tell you what, you cancel this and I'll hook you up with someone who is willing to part with 254K for $0 and <$100 maint fee.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
we will all be your friends if you save 30+ thousand dollars.

quite frankly id say good riddance if your "friends" no longer want to be friends with you if you dont spend a retarded amount of money on a timeshare you can have for essentially free.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If your 'friends' get PO'd when you buy more points for a few hundred$ than they bought for $60,000 (or whatever), they are not your friends. Hell, you can invite then to the Presidential suite on your points if you want. VIP just isn't worth the cost.

BUY RESALE!

And we couldn't be happier that you found TUG. Welcome!

Jim

tig488

Reaction score
Sent my letter today via certified mail with return reciept. Then texted the lady i was dealing with and told her. She sent a pleasant reply saying she was bummed about it, but understood, and she was emailing corporate to let them know the letter was on its way.

I couldnt let our friends get the shaft so i called and explained it to them. They are in agreement and are cancelling their upgrade.

The manager is really gonna be upset when 2 deals are cancelled.