• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

another "glad I found this place" member.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
TUG Power!

At some point recissions should get through to Main Main his lying scamming sales people "pushing the envelope" is not the way to go.

Resales are a fact of life.

The good olde days when one could readily sell $400K 3 BR condo as $2 million time share intervals are going way of dinosaurs.

Biggest is not always best!

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm glad it worked out well with your friends. It can be a delicate situation when your friends have purchased from the Developer and believe the salesmen's pitch.

You're a good friend to have saved them a bundle of money too.

Timeshares have a steep learning curve. This site is the encyclopedia of timeshare knowledge.

Congratulations!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Sent my letter today via certified mail with return reciept. . . .
I couldnt let our friends get the shaft so i called and explained it to them. They are in agreement and are cancelling their upgrade.
I'm so happy for you! You made a wise decision. Glad you found TUG in time and hope you'll stick around to learn all you can about timesharing and lots of other stuff, too.

got4boys

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, $120 a month in MF for 308,000 points might not be accurate but I'll let the experts chime in on that one.

Yes, that is correct. It is the correct amount for Smoky Mountains if that is the one he went to. Current fees per thousand is $4.17 + .51 program fee = $1441.44 year = $120.12 per month.

As mentioned before on TUG, Wyndham Smoky Mountains have one of the lowest maintenance fees.

Peggy

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
now both you and your friends can take some AMAZING vacations saving what...70 thousand dollars between you?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, tig488, now you and your friends can afford the membership fee ($15) to TUG so you can see the reviews of resorts you might like to go to not to mention getting rid of that dreaded 'Guest' designation after your username.

Welcome to the party!

Jim

Rob&Carol Q

Reaction score
Hey, tig488, now you and your friends can afford the membership fee ($15) to TUG so you can see the reviews of resorts you might like to go to not to mention getting rid of that dreaded 'Guest' designation after your username.

Jim

Sigh...guilty of that as well. probably need to fix that someday...

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm so glad you called your friends and talked about this. See? Nothing bad happened. Just good stuff. ;) It's saving them money, too. You are SO lucky, and SO smart. Wish I'd have been as smart when we began this journey. Happy wishes, and Congratulations! :cheer:

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
Yes, that is correct. It is the correct amount for Smoky Mountains if that is the one he went to. Current fees per thousand is $4.17 + .51 program fee = $1441.44 year = $120.12 per month.

As mentioned before on TUG, Wyndham Smoky Mountains have one of the lowest maintenance fees.

Peggy

If you get 14 days of vacation with your 308K points which is very possible your daily rate is like 102 bucks.. not bad for a super nice resort as most wyndhams are rated. If you get a chance try the bonnet creek at disney in orlando.. super nice for kids of all ages..

edit....

thought you had gotten them on resale.. but see not at this time.. but if and when you get the 308k and you don't mind all the little fees that wyndham seem to come up with every year, then you will have some nice vacations in the future.

have you check out the wyndham forums owner site.. http://www.wyndhamowners.org/

might be worth a visit as well.. :cool:

Last edited:

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
She is a thief, because she knows Wyndham isn't worth anything on the resale market. It's the cheapest point system you can buy, and you can get the ones with high fees FREE. These salespeople are sickening! :mad:

I completely agree. I think the tactics the developers border on the line of criminal behavior.

Yes, they are selling you a tangible asset, but many times they are essentially selling you dust as the asset they are selling is completely worthless (and many times they are just selling you a liability...ie literally you will have to pay someone to take it as it has a negative return on investment).

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
im between a rock and a hard place with my friends, i havent told them yet, but im hesitant to. they have been members for over a decade, first with their father who left it to them. this deal they did was an upgrade. they went from VIP silver to VIP gold. im afraid if i call them they will think im just being cheap and not believe me, since they have been in the system so long.

Your first priority is your family not your friends feelings. I hear you and understand the hard decision you face. You should look at this another way, your friends are asking you to pay $40k to join a club that you can join for free, really?

Personally, no friend would ask you to do that (or get upset if you declined).

I hold value (price i pay for something) dear to me. I would be more inclined to buy my friends a $40k car (new lexus) than buy a timesharecause it is awkward Cause if i am going to WASTE $40k, there will be utility.

Lastly, you have proven you cant say no to timeshare presentations. NEVER attend one again cause these are bad deals. People can claim they made a mistake once but they got you twice now. You need a thick skin to identify them as snakes they are and walk away if you are to attend

If you want to buy a timeshare, buy one off ebay after at keast 40 hours of reading tug forums. Dont think you have time to spend 40hours reading these forums, then you dont have the basic knowledge to give you a fighting chance of making it a worthwhile investment.

Not being mean, just too many people buy real estate (and TS are real estate) without any understanding of the ramifications.

Good luck!

tig488

Reaction score
thanks for all the great advice guys. its helped a ton. ive been surfing and reading many different resources. im glad we cancelled AND our friends did as well.

again, im glad i stumbled across this place. i will never go to another presentation, thats for damn sure.

jrhusky

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the great advice guys. its helped a ton. ive been surfing and reading many different resources. im glad we cancelled AND our friends did as well.

again, im glad i stumbled across this place. i will never go to another presentation, thats for damn sure.

Or you could go to a timeshare presentation in which your entire group wore T-shirts that said "Ask me about $1 Wyndham timeshares" along with the TUG website address. That would be great!

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure Wyndham is a great system

Wyndham is in fact a great system and easy to use/enjoy.

I wouldn't agree that Wyndham is a great system or easy to use. My late mother-in-law bought a fixed week at Fairfield Bay in 1991, with the promise of inexpensive exchanges whenever she wished through their FAX system.

Over the years Fairfield, and then Wyndham, decided they didn't want to have fixed weeks and didn't want to do exchanges. They gradually reduced the number of eligible properties each year, to minimize your choices. Then, about 2004, they stopped issuing a catalog of available exchange properties, to make it difficult to find the eligible choices. You had to call about three phone numbers and wait on extended hold on each one.

They also started creeping up the exchange fee, from $20 to $35, then $50, then $65, then $75. Then, as the last straw, about three years ago the CEO sent a letter to all owners saying (in effect) "You know that exchange privilege we promised you when you bought? Well, it's not a contractual agreement--it's just a promotion we used to have. We just cancelled it. You can no longer exchange at any price."

I would call that neither a great system nor easy to use.

If other Wyndham owners think reneging on the exchange privilege merits a class-action suit, count me in.

Larry
(Disillusioned in North Carolina)
(Will sell you a 2-bedroom fixed week 12 in Fairfield Bay for $1.00. This year's fees are paid.)

tig488

Reaction score
got my letter today from wyndham saying my contract was cancelled----woohoo!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free