• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Another DirecTV dish ??

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have a different dish question. I found the information on the other post very helpful, thanks.

I have one of the older round DirecTV dishes that dates back to 1996 +/-. I have 3 sets hooked up and they have been running fine for a long time. I started having a problem with the "searching for satellite" notice on some of the channels. When I select the station, it searches for awhile and then goes to the channel instead of going immediately to the channel. This problem started about a year ago when the local stations were first available in our area. This is a lot worse on one of the DTV boxes. I don't have local stations or HDTV, but I do have the NY&CA network feeds. So it seems I should be viewing feeds of just one of the satellites. Do you think I have a satellite problem or is one of the boxes dying? I have an extra LNB still sitting in the box and was thinking about replacing that to see if it helped. Do I need to get one of the new oval dishes? Willing to replace some of the equipment, just not sure what is causing the problem.

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks,

RichM

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you have the 3 sets hooked up? With a multiswitch? It could be the multiswitch is going bad, or the LNB. I'd try a new LNB first. How is the signal strength? Perhaps something has "settled" where it's installed and it's not aimed quite right anymore? Have any nearby trees or bushes grown since the install to possibly block the view?

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Rich-

I have a dual LNB with a multi-switch so I can feed 4 sets. As I said, been using it for years. Installed it myself. The problem seems to primarily be on one set which tends to make me think the box is bad rather than the LNB. But since I have it, though it was a cheap thing to try. Last time I checked the strength was OK. I installed it on a 12 ft pole cemented in the ground and still seems to have a clear view, especially now when all the leaves are gone. Guess I will try the LNB first and check the aiming. Hadn't thought about the switch, could be the problem. Will check that out as well. If negative on that, guess I will spring for a new box. I wasn't sure what the differences were between the 2 types of dishes and if the fact I had not gone to the newer dish could be making problem.

Thanks,

mtngal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm still using my old dish and boxes without any problem, and I have the east/west coast feeds (great for watching later evening shows early enough for us to go to bed early), so it isn't because you haven't updated your dish yet.