• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Another data breach at Marriott

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Time to reset passwords.

...Marriott said it noticed an unexpected amount of guest information was accessed at the end of February using the login credentials of two employees at a franchised property. The company said it believes the activity began in mid-January.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
"Marriott said Tuesday it has informed guests of the new data breach."

5.2 million guests affected. Anyone here receive this notification?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
There are 2 news items about Marriott this morning. Gary Leff (aka View from the Wing) is usually a reliable source of info:

Notice that the statement in the above link says passwords were not breached.

I like the second news item. This will make it easier to retain status:

jbeachlvr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
The Suites at Eastern Slope Inn
Vistana Flex
No, I didn’t receive anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sea&ski

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sigh... what next? I just feel so dejected. Nothing really to add.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I read on facebook that (1) Marriott will alert us, (2) that if our accounts were compromised that we won't be able to log in without 2 point authentication and (3) they aren't offering 2 point authentication to people who were not affected. So I tried to log on to marriott.com and I could do it without being prompted to add 2-point authentication.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP. Thanks for this update.
As of this posting we have not received any notice from Marriott’s.

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
Folks, remember that Marriott International is NOT Marriott Vacation Club International. They are two separate companies (split up several years ago) and operate independently, so all the talk about Marriott Int’l is not really relevant on this board and is a cause for confusion.

Just want everyone to know!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Folks, remember that Marriott International is NOT Marriott Vacation Club International. They are two separate companies (split up several years ago) and operate independently, so all the talk about Marriott Int’l is not really relevant on this board and is a cause for confusion.

Your point about MVC and Marriott Hotels being different companies is a good reminder, but since a large percentage of MVC owners are also likely to be Bonvoy account holders, stuff that happens to Marriott Int'l is certainly relevant.....at least it is to me.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Many people who own and stay at vacation club properties are also likely to often stay at Marriott hotels. So I think this information is important to know.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
What they will likely find is that this information was obtained through targeted phishing. Based on the indication that it was through credentials of two users at a hotel property, it is possible that these people mistakenly gave up their credentials by clicking through a link in an email.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
The article states that name, address, phone numbers, birthdays, and loyalty program links information. No passwords. No credit cards.

So it's pretty much what I can find on your profile on Facebook and other social media like this one.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The article states that name, address, phone numbers, birthdays, and loyalty program links information. No passwords. No credit cards.

So it's pretty much what I can find on your profile on Facebook and other social media like this one.
But they have it all in one place now, no need to fish for it all over the internet. They could use this information to try to impersonate you to try to steal your built up points. Don't know if email addresses were also stolen, but they could match it up with other Yahoo data breaches to gain access to your Bonvoy account.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dang... That's how those Robo-Callers got my number claiming that I won a Marriott Vacation! Rats!

Seriously. I have been getting those calls for over a year. Anyone else?

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score

“ The article states “ as in Marriott says? Color me skeptical.

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
No. "The article states" as in Yahoo! News says. Nowhere in the article is a Marriott official used as a source.

1. Compromised information may involve contact details, including postal and email addresses and phone numbers; information relating to customer loyalty accounts, but not passwords; personal details such as employers, gender and birth dates; partnerships and affiliations, such as details of linked airline loyalty programmes; and guest preferences, such as room preferences and languages.

This paragraph to me seemed to be in italics in the article inferring a quote. My assumption was a statement from Marriott.

2. Marriott says customers are being notified today if they were among those whose details were compromised (again).

This to me sounds like a statement from Marriott. Overall at this time I dont have a great deal of trust regarding Marriott or Yahoo news for that matter.. So here again color me skeptical.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
These repeated breaches are going to make Marriott a prime target for those looking to capture such info, since, it will appear that security is weak I fear.

I certainly have not received any notice. That must mean they didn't get my info. ;)