• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Another "Convince me to cancel my timeshare purchase" Thread

How bad was my purchase?

• Chris Brown bad

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Michael Jackson bad

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Albert Fish bad

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

unfie

Reaction score
Like some of you, I recently stumbled upon this website when looking up information on timeshares after a presentation. I'm currently at a Hilton Grand Vacations hotel in Las Vegas and got suckered into purchasing a timeshare at a presentation yesterday. The purchase is a bit on the low end, but maybe someone can tell me where on the scale of "bad" it lies (Chris Brown vs. Michael Jackson vs. Albert Fish).

Details
Deeded property location: HGVC Las Vegas
Purchase price: $16,900 with $2,310 up front
Points: 3,400 every even year (2022, 2024, etc.) with a 3,400 incentive bonus
Interest rate: 13.9%
HOA: $186 on odd years and $833 on even years

I purchased this yesterday, so I'm still within the 7-day window to cancel. Maybe for some of you seasoned folks, this might be a "no duh, cancel it and get a resale!" but I'd just like to confirm. I only briefly got to look up information on the day of the presentation, but ended up reading more into things today.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
• You can buy the same thing on the resale market for a fraction of the cost.

• You should exercise your legal right and rescind the purchase immediately.

• Don't go back to the timeshare office - they will just pour the pressure on.

• Instead, follow the instructions in the purchase papers and send them a certified letter today.

• How to rescind a timeshare purchase: https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/cancel_timeshare_purchase.html

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC is the most resale-friendly of all of the hotel-branded timeshare systems. Rescind this purchase, then come back and start reading the stickies in the HGVC thread, and then figure out what you want to purchase on the resale market.

BUT FIRST--RESCIND!

hgvcowner88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
HGVC Tuscany Village
HGVC Boulevard
Definitely worth rescinding! I rescinded on one of my purchases and so glad I did. Also on mine that I didn't rescind, I got way more bonus points (which is what I wanted). The unit you got can be purchased on eBay or on the resale market for super cheap.

Reactions: RX8

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you take into account that the cost of a "retail" timeshare is 50% overhead, administrative, promotions and commissions, you know that you are overpaying by a large factor. The resale value is the true "worth" of your purchase. If you want to vacation in timeshares, study the market and the industry on Tug. Then make an informed decision. And remember, you didn't "purchase" a timeshare - you were "sold" a timeshare.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
One of the worst deals out there (sorry, I don’t know your scale). You would probably have to pay someone to take that deed from you. You will be able to find a much better deed on the resale market for a lot less. Recommend that you rescind.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could probably pick up the same deed resale for about what you paid upfront, around $2500.

unfie

Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far. I looked up some timeshares on the market, and there are definitely better deals to be had. I'll get started on the rescind letter.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
My standard response to your question is: Do you have more money than you know what to do with? If so, then go ahead with the purchase. If you are willing to substitute some time researching the timeshare industry and HGVC in particular, you can save significant money. Get the timeshare period and timeshare size that you want. You may not have done that in your current purchase. Number one rule in the timeshare industry is that timeshare salespeople lie a lot of the time. So you have no real idea what you have purchased.

Rescind and research is my advice.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to all said above, I see that this is being financed at a very high rate. That makes bad into considerably worse. Rescind NOW!
Do not pass Go. Do not fork over $16K+.

Cheers.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
This is beyond bad, rescind immediately.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You already talked yourself into rescinding. Let me add my vote that you need to rescind. Buy resale and save thousands of $$$.

Just think of what you can buy with that kind of dough at sellingtimeshares.net, Seth Nock's company, TUG member and very fair guy. Lots of brokers that work for him that know Hilton well, so you don't need to deal with Seth directly. There are other resale agents, too.

I am not a shill for that website, but I watch it for timeshares I want to purchase.

If you cannot afford to purchase resale without financing, wait until you have the cash to buy. Don't finance a timeshare.

Last edited:

dori47

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Beach Vacation Club
WorldMark
I bought both of my units resale, but wondering if just renting from everyone here makes even more sense!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I bought both of my units resale, but wondering if just renting from everyone here makes even more sense!

It might. It all depends on where you buy. I’m not sure I could get 2 2 bedroom rentals on the beach at Ocean Oak in June for under $3000. That’s what it cost me with my points.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I also agree with @dayooper, it really depends where you want to go. I have heard that LV might be better (cheaper) to just rent, but I don't think that I would be able to get a 3-Br ski season rental at Breckenridge for either New Years nor Spring break for $1900 nor February 2 Br ski rental at Park City for $1400. Those are just a couple of examples, many more could be provided.

Gwendyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Earlier this year, I got 4800 even year points in Orlando resale for about $3500. Sure, there's no bonus points in resale, but you might be able to get 3400 even year points resale for about the amount you would have to put down on a developer purchase.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Earlier this year, I got 4800 even year points in Orlando resale for about $3500. Sure, there's no bonus points in resale, but you might be able to get 3400 even year points resale for about the amount you would have to put down on a developer purchase.

At most resorts you can get a gold 1 bedroom free! That being said, I wouldn’t purchase (or take on free) a gold 1 bedroom. Not enough points and too hard to get rid of if you need to. My suggestion to the OP is to figure out how they would use the ownership and move on from there. Where/when do you want to go and how many people are in your travel party.

I wouldn’t purchase anything but platinum for a points generator. In my case, I wouldn’t buy anything smaller than a 7000 point platinum (maybe a 6200 point 1 bedroom plus). I have found that I will always find a way to use our points. Whether it’s more trips, higher level rooms or bringing more people, our points will be used.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Not to beat a dead horse but this is a bad deal, rescind! I would consider this Michael Jackson bad only because this doesn’t fall into serial killer category (I had to look up Albert Fish).

if you stick with this deal you will be paying a minimum of $3,300 each year for the next ten years (P&I plus MF). Your total outlay, including interest is about $29,000.All for something that is worth zero, or maybe even less, on the resale market.

Many people on TUG do not recommend financing timeshares. With financing you are essentially stuck with it if you ever need to get rid of it to get out from the annual maintenance fees. No one will pay off your mortgage because the timeshares are worth a tiny fraction of the retail price. In your case, it is essentially worth zero meaning you will have to give it away for free. You would need to pay off the mortgage before you can even give it away.

My suggestion, take your time and learn all you can about timeshares. “Test drive” different timeshare resorts, systems by renting (check out the last minute rental forum on TUG). You may find that another timeshare system may work better for you and your family than this HGVC. When you are ready to pull the trigger, buy resale and pay cash. Note, I joined TUG before I purchased a timeshare and I didn’t pull the trigger until 18 months later. Now I have 33 timeshares. All that is true except the 33 timeshares part.

Last edited:

munboy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
You could probably pick up the same deed resale for about what you paid upfront, around $2500.
3400 EOY? They could probably get it on the free timeshares board...

Aptman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's a great deal, but that being said, you should rescind, give me the money, and I'll get you the same timeshare (we can even split the difference).

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Chris Brown vs. Michael Jackson vs. Albert Fish).
You're not even close. In a musical realm, imagine that the worst of Yoko One still surpasses. Or if you want to go culinary, it's worse than barbecued lutefisk drizzled with a chocolate vinagrette.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I just hope the OP did rescind, and of course they should because this is a bad deal. You will pay more in interest over the life of the loan than the principle (initial purchase price) you paid. Such good deals on Hilton right now that it is tempting to buy, but I am trying to get out of a bunch of my timeshares, not into more timeshares.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Recind, you will be glad you did.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
"there is literally no reason whatsoever for you NOT to rescind this contract" levels of bad.

hope that helps! =)

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wait don't rescind! Let me tell you why!!!

Just kidding, definitely rescind.