• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Another Allegiant Airlines "Incident" --- FAA Where Are You???

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
This so-called airline should be grounded. I would never fly on an airline with this kind of maintenance record. Some minor errors are certainly expected but the elevator jackscrew nut coming off is a symptom of a system out of control. :eek:

Cheers

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
You know you are having a bad day in Vegas just losing your money and then your plane catching fire!:hysterical:

PHILL12 :crash:

gvic

TUG Member
Reaction score
You know you are having a bad day in Vegas just losing your money and then your plane catching fire!:hysterical:

PHILL12 :crash:

What is really "BAD" is having to fly that Airline for 12 Hours to get Home after having a "Las Vegas Bad Day" ! ! !

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
BA Plane Fire: Regulators Warned of Problems With Engine - by David Millward, US Correspondent/ News/ World News/ North America/ USA/ The Telegraph/ telegraph.co.uk

" The engine on the British Airways jet which burst into flames on the tarmac at Las Vegas airport has been the subject of two Airworthiness Directives from American safety regulators, the Telegraph can disclose.

As investigators start to unravel what caused the aircraft to burst into flames on the tarmac, it has emerged that the Federal Aviation Administration issued directives - orders for emergency remedial work - for operators of aircraft using the GE90-85 engine.

Although it will take months for a definitive explanation for the fire to emerge, experts have suggested that the blaze on the Boeing 777, which had 172 people on board, was due to what is known as an uncontained engine failure...

vegas_thick_black__3433575b.jpg

A British Airways plane catches fire on the runway in Las Vegas

Richard

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pretty obvious it was an uncontained failure and from the photos I've seen, it looks like a disc let go for some reason. Not a unique but a very very rare failure. I've seen these type of failures before and there's nothing that can contain the disc if it fails unless you wrap the engine in several feet of concrete which might be a bit difficult to fly.;)

Kudos to the BA Flight Crew and the ground crew for handling a potential disaster in an exemplary manner. OTOH, those who took time to get their carry on bags and evacuate with them need to be banned from flying. :D

Cheers

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jet Engine Parts on Las Vegas Runway Indicate Major Failure - by Ken Ritter and Sally Ho, Associated Press/ apnewsarchive.com

LAS VEGAS (AP) — "Jet engine parts found on the Las Vegas runway where a British Airways flight aborted takeoff as the engine burst into flames indicate a rare catastrophic failure, experts said Thursday as investigators released preliminary findings and began analyzing flight data and cockpit recordings.

Early findings show the failure occurred where the engine was under the highest pressure, though there was no immediate indication of what caused it or the fire that forced 170 people to evacuate Tuesday at McCarran International Airport as smoke poured from the aircraft.

"You really don't see catastrophic or uncontained engine failure like this very often," said John Cox, an aviation safety consultant who spent 23 years as a U.S. Airways pilot. He said the failure indicates parts sliced through the engine casing.

The National Transportation Safety Board said there was damage to the armored shell around the left engine's high-pressure compressor, and several 7- to 8-inch fragments of the compressor were found on the tarmac..."

CBImages

Firefighters stand by a plane that caught fire at McCarren International Airport, Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2015, in Las Vegas. An engine on the British Airways plane caught fire before takeoff, forcing passengers to escape on emergency slides. (AP Photo/John Locher)

Richard

gvic

TUG Member
Reaction score
EXCELLENT analysis with pictures Richard (MULTIZ321) .... Thank You very much ... gvic

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why is this thread headed Alligent when the carrier is BA / Speedbird.
I find this incident interesting as it has been a story about the engine and the airframe is secondary.
Even when it is about the engine usually the headline is more airframe mfr.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why is this thread headed Alligent when the carrier is BA / Speedbird.
I find this incident interesting as it has been a story about the engine and the airframe is secondary.
Even when it is about the engine usually the headline is more airframe mfr.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Hi SM,

Post number one in this thread was about Allegiant Air - click on link for the story.

In a subsequent post, Vegas Bella added a link about the British Airways Fire.

And then additional links were added about the BA fire.

I admit it is confusing with the thread title. I'm not sure if it can be split at this point.

Best regards,

Richard

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As I suspected, it sounds like a compressor disc failed. Be interesting to see the cause of the failure. Unlikely it was a manufacturing defect in the disc since they are the most highly inspected parts in the engine.

I investigated an engine failure once when a turbine disc exploded, went about a hundred yards down the flight life through the air and then through the roof of a building setting the floor on fire. They are very fortunate it exited downwards and not into the cabin.

Cheers

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Well, well, well...
An Allegiant Air plane engine caught fire Sunday afternoon at McCarran International Airport.

Around 1:20 p.m., Flight 516 was departing to Fresno, Calif., when officials reported a right engine fire while on the ground.

No injuries were reported. Passengers were expected to be bussed to the terminal for another flight.

A British Airways engine caught fire last month as it was departing from McCarran. 27 people were injured, mostly minor.

http://www.ktnv.com/news/allegiant-plane-engine-catches-fire-at-mccarran-airport