• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Annual Budget and Foreclosure expense item

F1or1da1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed the Foreclosure expense line in our Maintenance Fee that is growing bigger every year? It seems to be passing the cost along to those remaining. It would seem at some point the last few owners will be paying for all who stopped paying.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Has anyone else noticed the Foreclosure expense line in our Maintenance Fee that is growing bigger every year? It seems to be passing the cost along to those remaining. It would seem at some point the last few owners will be paying for all who stopped paying.
I was just thinking... with the TPU boost for early payment, does VV have less delinquent owners? I just pre paid my 2022 MF’s so I can use 2022 points for 2021 reservations.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I was just thinking... with the TPU boost for early payment, does VV have less delinquent owners? I just pre paid my 2022 MF’s so I can use 2022 points for 2021 reservations.
VV doesn't have the boost as far as I know. Its only Massanutten.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
An ok that’s interesting, I thought it was all of vacation village. I haven’t checked my maint fee statement since I’ve been paying a year in advance since Ive owned. Does VV spread out delinquent owners among all VV owners?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
An ok that’s interesting, I thought it was all of vacation village. I haven’t checked my maint fee statement since I’ve been paying a year in advance since Ive owned. Does VV spread out delinquent owners among all VV owners?
All resorts spread out delinquent owners to the other owners at that specific resort. VV at Parkway points owners also don't have to prepay their MF's in order to use future points, I believe. That is also something that is pretty unique to Massanutten. So there is no incentive to pay early at VV at Parkway. If you have weeks and want to deposit in RCI you are required to prepay the MF's.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
All resorts spread out delinquent owners to the other owners at that specific resort. VV at Parkway points owners also don't have to prepay their MF's in order to use future points, I believe. That is also something that is pretty unique to Massanutten. So there is no incentive to pay early at VV at Parkway. If you have weeks and want to deposit in RCI you are required to prepay the MF's.
Thanks, I’m used to pre paying maint fees with vistana to bring star options forward of exchanging in interval.

I should probably look at my maint fee statement with regal vista.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

That's true, but the intent seems to be to act as an incentive to MF payment and limit delinquencies. Still, bad debt allowance is about 11.6% of the maintenance fee expenses at least at Woodstone, which is higher than some of the other TS I own. It's closer to 23% of total expenses at VV Williamsburg, though, based on the last audit report I got.

It's fairly typical to see bad debt listed as a line item in the budgets for the HOAs, so it gets spread out among all the owners in that particular HOA. For example, as a Regal Vistas owner, you're contributing to covering the bad debt expense item for the Regal Vistas HOA.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Thanks, I’m used to pre paying maint fees with vistana to bring star options forward of exchanging in interval.

I should probably look at my maint fee statement with regal vista.

If you look at the budget for SVV Bella, the bad debt expense is about 8% of operating expenses; at VGV it's about 6%. Not sure about other Vistana ones.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If you look at the budget for SVV Bella, the bad debt expense is about 8% of operating expenses; at VGV it's about 6%. Not sure about other Vistana ones.
I’m on the owners site for massanutten and I can’t find a maint fee statement. Is it not posted electronically?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The budget information is posted in the newsletter for Winter 2021 towards the last few pages. There's a link to "View Newsletters" in the green box on the right side. I prepay my MFs there to get the Trading Power Boost every year, so haven't ever looked for a maintenance fee statement.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
covid is likely going to be accelerating the bad debt in most resorts. People don't have the money to pay for luxury items and even if they do they feel like why should they pay when they can't travel or use them. There are also owners that have rented out to cover MF's and for many the rental marked collapsed in 2020 (not for all resorts but for many) and doesn't look that much better in 2021.

In normal good times a well run resort should have a bad debt of 5% or under. If it keeps spiraling up it will cause more and more owners to default and the timeshare will collapse. True 4 season resorts that don't have more inventory than demand won't have this problem as the resort can usually easily rent out the non performing weeks to cover the MF's. Not so for mega resorts in places like Orlando, Williamsburg and Massanutten or resorts where more than half of the year is off season.

F1or1da1

TUG Member
Reaction score
covid is likely going to be accelerating the bad debt in most resorts. People don't have the money to pay for luxury items and even if they do they feel like why should they pay when they can't travel or use them. There are also owners that have rented out to cover MF's and for many the rental marked collapsed in 2020 (not for all resorts but for many) and doesn't look that much better in 2021.

In normal good times a well run resort should have a bad debt of 5% or under. If it keeps spiraling up it will cause more and more owners to default and the timeshare will collapse. True 4 season resorts that don't have more inventory than demand won't have this problem as the resort can usually easily rent out the non performing weeks to cover the MF's. Not so for mega resorts in places like Orlando, Williamsburg and Massanutten or resorts where more than half of the year is off season.
As bad debt % rises I’m more seriously considering a deedback if VV @ Parkway will allow. If not, I’ll take my chances on non-Payment after 3 more years when I turn 76 and my wife stops working/retires.

9969hi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought up the bad debt expense at owner meeting of Mizner Place and VV at Weston. It is over 25% of budget. In talking to even mysales ladies there, it turns out that many salesmen just get new owners to put down payment on credit card and don't do a very good job of determining if the new owner can afford the payments, the salesman gets commission out of down payment and the owners are left paying for foreclosures and unpaid maintenance fees. At the meeting the CFO of Mizner place said it was a problem with young military who couldn't afford to pay.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At the meeting the CFO of Mizner place said it was a problem with young military who couldn't afford to pay.

I suppose that's one way to look at it. It could be that the problem is more related to their sales practices and he's really the CFO for the sales organization rather than the HOA that has to support the bad debt expenses.