• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Animal rights activists want to ban the term ‘pets’ as cats and dogs are our ‘equals’

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
The founder of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) said the word reduces them to a ‘commodity’ or ‘decoration’ in the home and they should be called ‘companions’.

Ingrid Newkirk, 70, said in the same way ‘sweetie’ or ‘honey’ makes women feel like ‘less of a person’, the term ‘pets’ was just as condescending to animals.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Oh boy, we live in crazy times.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Fine if they want to call them companions but don't legislate your views on the rest of us. What happens to a store like PetsMart?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I call my wife "sweetie" all the time. Sometimes I use the "babe" word. Oddly, my dog often identifies as a cat and I tolerate Rex eating the neighbors cat food, lol.

Bill

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
What happens to a store like PetsMart?

When dogs+cats can pull out a CC and pay for their food+treats, I'll agree to "Companion-Mart."

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
When dogs+cats can pull out a CC and pay for their food+treats, I'll agree to "Companion-Mart."
Do we really know what goes on when we're not at home? What happens between dogs and cats, stays between dogs and cats. :cool:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Oh, bother.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
YHGTBSM

Are they going to rename themselves CompanionsA?

Cheers

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that animals are equal to us in every way as living beings. We all deserve a good life. Our lives with our pet cats and dogs give them a good life, provide companionship for both human and animal, and ensure that that dogs and cats aren't eaten by predators. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
When a cat can do this, I'll show respect.

53b22d03333d6cd2549017a5bf863c4e--digital-communication-funny-funny-funny.jpg

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
YHGTBSM

Are they going to rename themselves CompanionsA?

Cheers
I thought the same thing. How ironic that the first three letters of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is "PET."

I looked my daughter's dog straight in the eyes and called her a "pet." She just wagged her tail and wanted me to get a piece of chicken skin out of the fridge and into her bowl.

Not a hint of condescension in her perception. It must be a human thing.

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)

Brett

Reaction score
I thought the same thing. How ironic that the first three letters of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is "PET."

I looked my daughter's dog straight in the eyes and called her a "pet." She just wagged her tail and wanted me to get a piece of chicken skin out of the fridge and into her bowl.

Not a hint of condescension in her perception. It must be a human thing.

the initials were probably intended to be P.E.T. - some consider dogs and cats animal slaves to service humans

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Always someone trying to stir things up. Can you imagine a world where we just ignored them?

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Always someone trying to stir things up. Can you imagine a world where we just ignored them?

"If one reads any newspaper only for information, one does not learn the truth, not even the truth about the paper. The truth is that the newspaper is not a statement of contents but the contents themselves; and more than that, it is an instigator."
Karl Kraus

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Does this mean they can get a FF number and pay for their own seats on airplanes? Or maybe now there will be an emotional support pet human category.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Brett

Reaction score
"If one reads any newspaper only for information, one does not learn the truth, not even the truth about the paper. The truth is that the newspaper is not a statement of contents but the contents themselves; and more than that, it is an instigator."
Karl Kraus

OK ... it's about determining the "truth" ;)

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I met a Veterinarian who actually thinks of pets as he does people regarding rights and care. He will not doc tails or crop ears as he feels it is unethical. He mainly works on dogs and cats. They act like you are taking your kid to a doctors appointment and charge accordingly.

I know another Veterinarian who works on farm animals and pets. They have no problem docking tails or cropping ears. To them a pet is like a farm animal and an animals role in life is to serve man. I like the farm Veterinarian's attitude.

I use both of these clinics and when Rex came to his appointment with his tail docked the city Vet asked why I had it docked. I explained Rex is an inside dog and at 70 pounds his wagging tail would be knocking things off the table and his breed looks good with a docked tail. He then said something to the effect of my dog has feelings, lol. Yup, he feels very good sleeping inside the house with a full belly.

Bill

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Ok. So be it. I am going to charge my adult dog and cat rent! :)

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok. So be it. I am going to charge my adult dog and cat rent!
FWIW, I feel my dog and cats already earn their keep. The cats are all outdoor critters; they are very effective keeping the rodent population in check. We leave the hoods up on all our vehicles and the cats will even inspect the engine compartments. Yippie!

The dog? Well, he is my velcro pup; my emotional support "friend" at all times I am home. We treat him to a very special boarding location when we are away ... but at home, his job is to keep me company and let me know if anything seems out of sorts around the property.

Both the dog and cats are good at their jobs and, thus, earn their keep and care. The horses? Mostly freeloaders but they do keep training me and I love who I've become through their guidance.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm PETA material. Our DD used to complain that we talk much nicer to the cat than we do to her. I tell her it's because the cat is much nicer than she is.