• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Angry Renter wants full refund on non-refundable rental

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems many want someone else to take the losses they incurred. The contract said no refunds. I think in the future the contacts should be more specific. No refunds for any reason, you take the risk for natural disasters, sicknesses, etc thus if you choose not to get private insurance and you cannot go there will be no refund for no matter what the reason.

@JudyS I am sorry how much you are going through now. I was in your position years ago with almost losing everything due to a medical illness. Things got worse before it got better. Try to have hope that it will get better.

agree. Stick with the agreement terms as agreed. I got screwed by Airbnb and other avenues changing their terms in favor of guests but you got take the punch and roll with it. If you live by the sword then you die by the sword. I’m trying to make it fair for all my direct rentals where I’m not losing money even though I’m not obligated since my agreements clearly stated it was final and no refunds. Just for goodwill and karma.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I took money from our Roth IRA to refund people as this arises. I am hoping this pandemic ends by the beginning of summer. I have people going to Myrtle Beach this summer. I doubt this will remain an issue after June 1st, but that could be wishful thinking on my part.
I’m doing Bahamas and supposed to do Italy in June. I know the feeling

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Everybody is jockeying for position of ones own pocket, this is a mess, it’s got to cost us all something. 50/50 is reasonable for sure.

Getting our points / weeks back isn’t helping for many I see, including me.

These reservations are using points from last year so they expire at the end of this year. We are now booking 2021 these canceled vacation points cant be used for 2021 vacations. So most all high demand for this year are gone. Recouping money is very hard especially with all of us trying to do it.

Our system is giving points back even if you didn’t take out the point saver yet they are not refunding my $ I paid to protect my stay.
They are telling the people we are given points back but in reality those points need to be used by years end.
I recommend travelers ins. As well. I always take it out. I never rent a hotel using the cheaper no cancel rate.

We are all going to have to give and take, I think it’s horrible what AireB&B is doing.

If they had insurance , they would be in a good position.
Somehow that’s our fault

Dave

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Judy, tell them you will give them a voucher for travel in the next 12 months, and that is the best you can do. Get them an exchange, if you must. Just to get them off of your back.

I also understand the renter's point of view, but a later date should be acceptable to your renter.

We have a cruise planned for next month. The cruise company is only offering us a voucher, and the cruise is completely different from what we booked. They say no refunds because they cannot afford to refund. It's a Mediterranean cruise out of Rome. Most of the ports have changed. If Norwegian can get by with a voucher and not a refund, when travel is not even allowed to Rome from the U.S., then of course a timeshare owner with a contract can give a voucher.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I’ll draft contracts from now on that will have no refunds under any circumstance and will include asteroids colliding with earth, famines, virus pandemics, wild fires, up to and including an invasion by spaceballs trying to suck the oxygen from earth.
Dogs and cats, living together?

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I took money from our Roth IRA to refund people as this arises. I am hoping this pandemic ends by the beginning of summer. I have people going to Myrtle Beach this summer. I doubt this will remain an issue after June 1st, but that could be wishful thinking on my part.
Cindy, you and I are hoping for the same -- for the travel Windows to reopen early June. Actually I'm hoping for May 27 -- we have tickets to see James Taylor in San Francisco. (G-Ma. Daughter and Granddaughter.)

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me clarify here -- I have both AirBnB reservations, and individual renting agreements using my own rental agreement, which says, "No Refunds." AirBnB has canceled my "no cancelation" rentals, but there is nothing I can do about that. is nothing I can do about AirBnB policies.

With the individual renters, one is being very nice and trying to work out a way to reschedule. The other keeps insisting, over and over, that I will get a refund from Sheraton of what I have paid for the week. As far as I can tell, that is not at all true. AFAIK, Sheraton is loosening up the rescheduling rules a little, but not giving any refunds. This insistence that I am keeping the money even though I can get a refund is a real obsatcal to working things out.

Has anyone heard of Sheraton refunding annual timeshare fees because of Covid-19? I would really like to know this. I find it unlikely, but if anyone has gotten a refund, I would really like to know that.

RickandCindy, I think it is great that you took money from your IRAs to refund people. I am in a real bind financially though -- husband lost his job, losing our house, cannot afford medicine I need. I may end up borrowing from our credit cards to pay this renter back -- but it would really help if he'd acknowledge that I am out-of-pocket on what I pay him back.

I really don't know what the fair thing to do is in the situation. The angry renter paid via PayPal, and I am thinking of asking him to dispute the charge with them. PayPal usually sides with buyers, so at least we'll find out whether a "no refunds" contract offers and protections.

Last edited:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
@JudyS I am sorry how much you are going through now. I was in your position years ago with almost losing everything due to a medical illness. Things got worse before it got better. Try to have hope that it will get better.

Thanks, Panina! I have had sickness after sickness. My husband had a good job with insurance, right before I became disabled. he lost it in the Great Recession, and we've never had good insurance since. Since then, it has been a huge struggle, with our finances becoming more and more drained. For many years, I was hopeful my health would improve, but it's very hard to be hopeful anymore.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Thanks, Panina! I have had sickness after sickness. My husband had a good job with insurance, right before I became disabled. he lost it in the Great Recession, and we've never had good insurance since. Since then, it has been a huge struggle, with our finances becoming more and more drained. For many years, I was hopeful my health would improve, but it's very hard to be hopeful anymore.
Don’t give up. There is always hope. I am proof of that. I went years without correct diagnosis twice, once not being able to walk without extreme pain for over two years, and years with severe abdominal pain which was due to gluten.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ll draft contracts from now on that will have no refunds under any circumstance and will include asteroids colliding with earth, famines, virus pandemics, wild fires, up to and including an invasion by spaceballs trying to suck the oxygen from earth.

this ^^^^^^^^

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

this ^^^^^^^^
Oh boy. Is it going to be raining rocks of fire? Is it the end??? I’m still not giving a refund :ROFLMAO:

335FDDA0-26E6-4160-9315-CDA8C2C1A598.jpeg

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
JudyS asked:
<<Has anyone heard of Sheraton refunding annual timeshare fees because of Covid-19? I would really like to know this. I find it unlikely, but if anyone has gotten a refund, I would really like to know that. >>

Hi JudyS:
I'm sorry that you're having to deal with an unreasonable Renter.
I understand you reserved a week in Orlando. (This is not a staroptions reservation.)

There is no way Sheraton (or any other timeshare) is going to refund maintenance fees. (I don't own Sheraton, I'm just using experience with other timeshares here.) The Renter is dreaming. He may think timeshare is like "hotel". Sheraton may waive cancel fees, and give some leeway by letting you select another open week. But there is no way are you getting cash back from Sheraton.

Send a copy of the Vistana letter. Offer a future week, subject to availability. The sooner the Renter selects a future week, the better choice he will have. End of communication. No hand wringing or indecisiveness.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Send a copy of the Vistana letter. Offer a future week, subject to availability. The sooner the Renter selects a future week, the better choice he will have. End of communication. No hand wringing or indecisiveness.
Absolutely! Select a new week (which is being more than lenient) and move on. If they got the flu and wanted to cancel would you let them? No! If they came down with covid19 or the flu, they would have an illness not allowing them to travel in which case the travel insurance would kick in. If they didn’t take out insurance on a non refundable booking that’s their fault.

I feel vistana should be giving full refunds and unrestricted star options for resorts that are in areas where all non essential businesses are to close. Offer an alternative week and if they refuse then you refuse to refund. End of story. They want to refuse an offer going above and beyond what’s in the contract then to can refuse to break the contract.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Nope. They aren't going to refund, but you can deposit your week into II and offer an exchange, possibly. I wouldn't go out of my way terribly. But maybe you can get them something they would accept.

Disney World is dreaming, if they think the parks can open in 12 days.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
The way I look at it is:

• The Renter was getting a great deal because they rented from you compared to a hotel
  • The great deal comes with strings attached (no cancellation)
  • If they wanted to free cancellation, they should have booked a refundable hotel
  • Renter wanted to save even more money and didn't buy travel insurance
People have been taught that the squeaky wheel gets greased. They will complain as that doesn't cost them anything and has a high upside. It's going to be a lot of work for somebody to come after you legally just to get back the cost of a weekly rental. And if they do you can consider offering them something at that point just to get them off your back. Until then, you can send an email of the order of "we consider this matter closed" similar to how the sharing economy companies respond to customers who complain.

A good part about bring a small-scale landlord is you don't have to worry about what people will say on social media about you, unlike the bigger brands.

Last edited:

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have a contract that clearly states "no refund". I would stick with this as long as the resort is open.

It is very nice of you that you offered the renter to modify the date and possibly location of the reservation.

I would also send the renter a link to this thread so he can get a feedback what others would have done.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Your renter is trying to bully you into submission. Just say No withdrawal your offer to reschedule and consider the matter closed. Cut all communication with them and take care of yourself. No refunds means no refunds.

carolhab

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm stuck also. I have a renter and my contract says no refunds if cancelled 45 days before the start date, it's now 3 weeks before the start date I offered 50/50.
Here is what I received back:
I am not sure if you are aware, but, according to the Vistana updated policy, you may cancel this reservation for no fee. I learned this when I called the Sheraton Vacation Club number: 407-903-4649, listed on the Vistana.com/contact-us website. Thus, as I understand it, the xxxxxx StarOptions points you used would be returned to your account and you could use or rent this unit at a later date. Please correct me if I am mistaken. While I understand that you do not want to give back money, if you kept 50%, you would also have ability to cancel the reservation at no cost, and then the opportunity to use the points, and thus make more money than if we actually used the 1 BR Villa. Given that Phoenix is basically on a stay at home directive, and we would not be able to go to restaurants or use most of the facilities at the Sheraton Desert Oasis, I think it only fair that you return our entire amount. Please know that we travel to the Phoenix area every year because we have a number of friends who winter there. I expect that we will be travelling there in February or March of 2021, and would hope to be working with you at that time.

The options will be put into my account but they are restricted StarOptions.

Any suggestions on what to say back?

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon

While it’s true I’ll get my points back they will be restricted points that don’t have the same value. Restriction points aren’t eligible to be banked to next year, or make a reservation farther out than 60 days. So as compensation for that restriction I can only refund you 50%

This while may not be your ideal solution it’s the best I can do given the situation.

Best Wishes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm stuck also. I have a renter and my contract says no refunds if cancelled 45 days before the start date, it's now 3 weeks before the start date I offered 50/50.
I am not sure if you are aware, but, according to the Vistana updated policy, you may cancel this reservation for no fee. I learned this when I called the Sheraton Vacation Club number: 407-903-4649, listed on the Vistana.com/contact-us website. Thus, as I understand it, the xxxxxx StarOptions points you used would be returned to your account and you could use or rent this unit at a later date. Please correct me if I am mistaken. While I understand that you do not want to give back money, if you kept 50%, you would also have ability to cancel the reservation at no cost, and then the opportunity to use the points, and thus make more money than if we actually used the 1 BR Villa. Given that Phoenix is basically on a stay at home directive, and we would not be able to go to restaurants or use most of the facilities at the Sheraton Desert Oasis, I think it only fair that you return our entire amount. Please know that we travel to the Phoenix area every year because we have a number of friends who winter there. I expect that we will be travelling there in February or March of 2021, and would hope to be working with you at that time.

If you own at SDO, you still have the underlying week which should have no restriction to book the week again or to deposit into II. If you don't own at SDO, you are not allowed to rent a StarOption booking. If you own Flex then maybe it will also be restricted. How did you book the week?

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you own at SDO, you still have the underlying week which should have no restriction to book the week again or to deposit into II. If you don't own at SDO, you are not allowed to rent a StarOption booking. If you own Flex then maybe it will also be restricted. How did you book the week?
I would equate depositing into II as losing 80 or 90% of the value as the options/trades are limited, additional fees are incurred just to book and you can’t rent out II reservations.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon

Your assumption is true for resale that hasn’t been Retroed or an Original Developer purchase. A lot of SDO owners are part of VSN and fall into this restricted StarOptions

I for one Retroed my SDO when trading in Kierland Gold Resale for Kierland Platinum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your assumption is true for resale that hasn’t been Retroed or an Original Developer purchase. A lot of SDO owners are part of VSN and fall into this restricted StarOptions

I for one Retroed my SDO when trading in Kierland Gold Resale for Kierland Platinum

I thought about it and it is an interesting point. If there is no SOs associated with a week, then you can cancel up to 24 hours before with no restrictions. Having an SO layer makes the week more restrictive. However, you can deposit the week into II for trading without restrictions. I alternate use of SOs and depositing into II each year.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would equate depositing into II as losing 80 or 90% of the value as the options/trades are limited, additional fees are incurred just to book and you can’t rent out II reservations.
It depends. SDO's MF is cheap and II trading can provide good value but prohibited from rental. I use both SOs to book and also II to trade as the latter can provide better value than SO booking. If someone runs a rental business than II as an alternative does not work for them.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Yes. Tell them you will give them a voucher good for 60 days to choose some other location for travel.

I think it's ridiculous that they are spouting Vistana rules, as though they know more than the owner. These guests should not assume anything. Vistana will tell them ANYTHING to get them off of the phone. The Wyndham properties do the same thing. People call and ask if the guest name can be changed, and the people at the front desk says, "Yes, absolutely." So then our daughter has to tell them, "If you are willing to pay $99, then I can change the name of the guest." The guest argues that this is not what the resort said, and the resort knows more than our daughter. It's crap.