• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ancestry to Retire Family Tree Maker

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score

Due to declining desktop software market

Ancestry to stop selling Family Tree Maker
(FTM) Software as of December 31, 2015.

Ancestry will continue to support current owners of
Family Tree Maker at least through January 1, 2017.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
My 13 yo grandson wanted Ancestry DNA kit for Xmas....I bought it for him and myself....(curious).....I sent mine out and received confirmation they received...Does this have anything to do w/ FTM? ......thx

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My 13 yo grandson wanted Ancestry DNA kit for Xmas....I bought it for him and myself....(curious).....I sent mine out and received confirmation they received...Does this have anything to do w/ FTM? ......thx

Family Tree Maker is a genealogy program installed on your computer, where you can build your family tree. The website Ancestry.com provides the same opportunity, but it's a subscription site. Since they own both, it makes sense they'd discontinue the offline program, since they can't make ongoing money with it.

(I have used both, and find Ancestry.com a bit annoying, since the "leaves" they attach to your family tree links you to other people's family trees - without any sort of verification that the information is correct. I am constantly having to delete links that I know for a fact are incorrect. The presumed logic Ancestry.com uses is that if you link to other people'e trees, you can build an extensive family tree history. But if the dates or names are wrong, then what? Not a very solid tree, if you ask me. So I prefer using Family Tree Maker offline, and entering my own data, that I know to be correct.)

The DNA kit you bought is only to determine your biological genetics, not your genealogy. So they are not the same.

Dave

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thx Dave.....Just trying find out who the hell I am.....Can't wait for results...

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thx Dave.....Just trying find out who the hell I am.....Can't wait for results...

Me too. I bought the same kit the other day, for the same reason. Haven't used it yet. My family has been in the U.S. since the 1600's, and pre-USA family history is pretty localized to the British Isles. Lots and lots of England, Ireland, and Scotland roots. What about before that? They came from somewhere. Will be curious to see what it says. (And mildly skeptical about the results, since there is no way to prove that it's right. They could say just about anything.)

I'm still waiting to find out that I'm related to Cleopatra or Joan of Arc or Henry VIII. Oh wait, I may need to contact Shirley McLaine for that... ;)

Dave

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
BMW, I'm hoping to give The Donald a call; even though I'm pretty sure we r not the same race....LOL....This would be HUGE!!!!!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
BMW, I'm hoping to give The Donald a call; even though I'm pretty sure we r not the same race....LOL....This would be HUGE!!!!!

LOL! Yes, it would be!! :D

Dave

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I, too, have done genealogy for decades and decades, and I've used Family Tree Maker software since it was owned by BorderBound. I'm not enchanted with it in the 2014 format, and may take a hard look at Roots Magic, which seems to get good reviews from the blogs. I've also been an Ancestry.com member pretty much since it started, and I really dislike the "New Ancestry."

Not only does it have all the problems of the leaves, but now, they have instituted a new "childish" format with big print and machine generated stories about the people. That would be fine, if they did that only for those simple-minded enough not to be able to manage something better than a machine, but they "extend it to everyone." I've already paid them for this year to get access to World Wide Records, but I think this will be my last year with them.

As to the DNA, you will, I'm sure, find the results interesting, but they won't "unlock" your family tree for you. They will show the % that is Irish/Italian/etc., and they will connect you to people with some of the same results. IF those people have done a decent job on their trees, you can just adopt their research-----but honestly, no one is going to tell you "I just took what I have from others, and I don't know whether it's accurate or not," so you won't know what you've got. The only way to find out if it's accurate is to check it for yourself.