• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

An HHV Upgrade?

Msb1102

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I'm on a flight right now getting ready to land in about an hour. This is the first time using points and have a 3 night reservation for Lagoon tower 2 bed premier and 5 nights at Lagoon in 3/2.5 penthouse.

Went to check my reservation info before landing an it has mysteriously changed. The 3 nights are now listed as being at Grand Waikikian in a 2br PH. Points are still the same at 4800 and reservation number is the same. No email confirmation or notification and it definitely wasn't like this a week ago.

Has anyone ever seen this before?? Is moving from a lagoon Oceanfront to a Waikikian penthouse really an upgrade? Points wise it definitely is but there is no guayon the view and moving towers would be a bit of a hassle.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen this before?? Is moving from a lagoon Oceanfront to a Waikikian penthouse really an upgrade? Points wise it definitely is but there is no guayon the view and moving towers would be a bit of a hassle.
I have not seen this before, but IMHO, it depends on whether or not it is an upgrade.

The lagoon is truly oceanfront whereas the Waikikian is set back and is not really oceanfront. However, your 2 bed lagoon premier can be anywhere from floor 3 to floor 23 so YMMV as higher placement is generally preferred.

The PH are on the top 5 floors of the Wakikian and you have access to the private lounge. But views are limited -- you are further set back and dependent upon what unit you are placed in for any view. (I believe the 3BR PH are all ocean view but 2BR PH are not all ocean view.)

I'd insist on what I booked unless you think the tradeoff is worth it.

-ryan

Msb1102

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's my inclination. Not even sure if the lounge is open and the risk of a poor view has me concerned.

Why do I feel like I'm going to have a fight on my hands here?

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I have no clue why your reservation would have been changed from the Lagoon Tower to the Grand Waikikian. You certainly need to ask the front desk.

However, changing from the Lagoon Tower to the Grand Waikikian is not much more of a hassle than changing from one room to another in the same Tower unless you have a inordinate amount of stuff like at times we do at times when we are staying for months, The biggest hassle is if the new room is not ready when you move out of the old room so you need to either stay with your luggage or check it with the bell desk for later.

Msb1102

TUG Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210610-114643_Chrome.jpg

My guess is they over-booked and decided to move around the shorter reservations.its pretty obvious they did it because the point just don't add up otherwise.

Msb1102

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also I have an overlap in days on my reservation so the holding of the luggage isn't an issue for me.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Sorry, no I never had that happen. Perhaps there was an issue with the unit you were originally assigned to. :shrug:
Hopefully they will place you on the Diamond Head facing side.

Look at it this way… you get to experience the penthouse unit without the penthouse price ;)

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't be too upset, even if the view isn't perfect at GW. As long as it isn't extra points. You might even get lower floor with tree blocking your views if you are still in the 2-bedroom oceanfront in Lagoon, so really no telling if you are getting and upgrade or downgrade in terms of view. But in terms of points, unit, etc, I would say it's mostly an upgrade.

But yes, please report back, this is certainly interesting.

Great3

Msb1102

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ended up taking the "upgrade". Tried to hold the line on the ocean front but was told only 4th floor was available and knew through research here previously that wasn't going to be a great view. In the end, It's a 66% discount on points and as a tugger, you know I likes my discounts.

I'm guessing GW is empty. Not seeing too many people. They gave me a very nice diamondhead side view very close oceanside, its basically an identical view of what they use in the promotional pictures so we're happy. Have not seen anyone on my floor and have a pretty good view of all the balconies here and have only seen one other person using their balcony and no beach gear like you see on the other balconies.

I'll share more info when the trip is over but feel free to ask any questions if you think I might be able to answer.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Please post a picture of your view!

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club, HGVC GP MarBrisa, Westin St. John, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Villas, Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (DRI), Worldmark
Is the Penthouse lounge open?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Since you are staying in a GW PH this week, can you do a little recon.......

Are the penthouses assigned at booking based on unit number or assigned at the Desk when checking in.
Layout, which numbers are city facing and which numbers are corners or resort/ocean facing?
position of 3 BRs vs 2 BRs? Floor Layout and room number would be ideal. Can you take a picture of the emergency exit signage on the back on the door.
All on same floor or are multiple floors considered PH? I think multiple floor, but how many?
PH to request or ones to avoid?
What is the currently nightly TAT on the 2BR and 3 BR PHs?

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Ended up taking the "upgrade". Tried to hold the line on the ocean front but was told only 4th floor was available and knew through research here previously that wasn't going to be a great view. In the end, It's a 66% discount on points and as a tugger, you know I likes my discounts.

I'm guessing GW is empty. Not seeing too many people. They gave me a very nice diamondhead side view very close oceanside, its basically an identical view of what they use in the promotional pictures so we're happy. Have not seen anyone on my floor and have a pretty good view of all the balconies here and have only seen one other person using their balcony and no beach gear like you see on the other balconies.

I'll share more info when the trip is over but feel free to ask any questions if you think I might be able to answer.

Post some pics in the Pics from the Balcony thread.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think you made a good choice with the 4th floor lagoon being the alternative. 4th floor probably is not much of an ocean view (that's what I hate about the lagoon premier class -- the floor placement is so critical and i think it is a crapshoot for something you are paying more points for). Excellent that you got a diamond head facing unit -- sounds like you scored!

-ryan

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
This upgrade may be related to this promo:

Save 50% off your penthouse suite Club Reservations at Grand Waikikian or The Grand Islander when you book between June 10 - June 24, 2021.

David M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Bay Club
HGVC Kings' Land
We had a Lagoon studio "upgraded" to a Grand Waikikian 1BR, about 5 years ago, with no change in points. There was no notice, we found out at check-in.

I had the impression that there was an issue with the originally booked room.

At that time, we owned a GW 1BR ... that may have been a factor.

Msb1102

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you are staying in a GW PH this week, can you do a little recon.......

Are the penthouses assigned at booking based on unit number or assigned at the Desk when checking in.
Layout, which numbers are city facing and which numbers are corners or resort/ocean facing?
position of 3 BRs vs 2 BRs? Floor Layout and room number would be ideal. Can you take a picture of the emergency exit signage on the back on the door.
All on same floor or are multiple floors considered PH? I think multiple floor, but how many?
PH to request or ones to avoid?
What is the currently nightly TAT on the 2BR and 4 BR PHs?

Yes, owners lounge is open. Haven't been but will try to make my way down there tomorrow to pick up a coke/beer and some ramen (stayed here before, been in lounge)

I'm not sure how I would find out the answer to your first question... Mine was assigned before I even landed in Hawaii, that's how I noticed they had changed my reservation.

Nightly TAT is $25 on 2BR a night versus $12 for Lagoon

Floors 35 - 39 are listed as penthouse on elevators and supposedly require key swipe but some of the elevators don't require it.

3701 is Diamondhead side OF and 3702 is city side OF. 3711 is only room on rear (Kalia facing room).

3705 is Diamondhead side closer to lagoon and 3707 is Diamondhead closer to Kalia.

3706 is city side closer to lagoon and 3710 is city side closer to Kalia

If I missed a question, let me know.
20210611_192759.jpg

Msb1102

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, going to try to sent the drone out from the balcony tomorrow morning. And get some snaps of other balconies/views in general. I just walked around the entire floor and everyone of the rooms has the clean seal on it which I assume means I have the entire floor to myself. The 50% off sale makes a lot of sense now.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
50% off is for checkin from Aug 1 to Sept 30. HGVC should be running promo earlier if they are trying to fill empty rooms.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1623517116953.png

Penthouses at Grand Waikikiian
X is 5 to 9 based on Floors 35-39 where the PHs are location.
3X01 and 3X02 are 3 BR PHs, there are a total of 10, 2 per floor. These are the end units that face the Lagoon Tower and the Marina.
All other units on floor are 2 BRs, There are 23 2 BR PH units, 5 per floor, except FL 35 which has 3.
The PH Lounge is on the 35th floor and takes up 2 of the 2 BRs located at 05 and 07 positions.
The 05 and 07 units face Diamond Head. 06 and 10 units face Ewa and the Marina can be seen from the balcony.
Unit 11 Faces Kalia Tower direction, and you can see Diamond Head and the City.

@GT75 can we add this to the sticky. It is room locations for GW PHs.

Last edited:

Msb1102

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is correct. We are in 05. Lounge is on 35th though. Here is image from elevator entrance. Tried to go to the lounge this morning since I'm only one awake but it doesn't open till 8. You just gotta swipe your room key for access.
Screenshot_20210612-073842_Gallery.jpg

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
@GT75 can we add this to the sticky. It is room locations for GW PHs.
Certainly, I will add in a couple of days (if I don’t forget) when I am back home. Thanks

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
can we add this to the sticky. It is room locations for GW PHs.

I have added, please check to ensure that I added correctly. Editing is easy to fix.