• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amtrak's Plan to Connect the U.S.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Amtrak's Plan to Connect the U.S.

Richard

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Music to the ears of rail-fans. But it's all pie-in-the-sky.
"The best laid plans of mice and men..."

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Amtrak has to rely on the freight railroads for service outside the Northeast corridor. Several rail crossings would also have to be upgraded to allow higher speed passenger train service. If nothing else, the equipment for existing long distance train service needs to be replaced or refurbished. There are currently a lot of delays due to engine breakdowns.

I hope to see the Ohio service during my lifetime.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Amtrak, developer reach agreement on restoration and update of Philadelphia's 30th Street Station.

Richard

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I love the train. And it get plenty of use in the NE corridor, but I'd guess a money-loser for most routes.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
High hopes for much of the country, but not here in the sparsely populated West where distances are long. We'll fly, thank you.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cincinnati to Cleveland is a 3.5 hour drive, yet the Amtrak service is projected at 5.5 hours and given Amtrak's reliability I would venture probably longer than that!! It sounds great in theory, but I am skeptical it will ever be successful (or profitable!)

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trains and other major transportation methods aren't very profitable without government subsidies. Airports and highways have always received much higher subsidies than Amtrak. However, it is important to maintain a significant rail network and may become even more important in the future as highways get congested, fuel gets more expensive (or unavailable), and car ownership is out of reach for some. Passenger Trains no longer were profitable to the railroads after they lost their contracts to carry mail. All foreign rail travel is heavily subsidized.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Are there any rail related monies in the proposed infrastructure bill? I don't remember reading about any.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Taking the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle next week. Having taken many trains in Europe, I’ll be interested in the comparison.

Cheers

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Cincinnati to Cleveland is a 3.5 hour drive, yet the Amtrak service is projected at 5.5 hours and given Amtrak's reliability I would venture probably longer than that!! It sounds great in theory, but I am skeptical it will ever be successful (or profitable!)

If I ever have a reason to go to Cleveland from Dayton (which I doubt ;)) I’d take the train. More likely use it to get to Downton Cincinnati for the sports etc. Driving I-75 and parking can be a PITA.

But I agree, likely not to happen.

Cheers

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Taking the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle next week. Having taken many trains in Europe, I’ll be interested in the comparison.

Cheers
It should be a beautiful trip. If you have a sleeper, you meals will be included. The food has gotten better again and they are actually using real plates and glassware. The Flat Iron steak and Crab cake are usually pretty good. Have a great trip and enjoy the scenery and tranquility. You can bring your own wine if you drink it in your room. We typically connect in Chicago and get a deep dish pizza from Beggar's pizza that is about 1 block from the station.