• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amtrak is restoring long-distance service and dining, and replacing seat cushions

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
I just booked us on the Cascades in business class from Seattle to Portland and bid for a compartment! Ironically the senior fare pp was $4.50 more than for the adult, so if any senior is looking to book Amtrak check out both pricing options!

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just booked us on the Cascades in business class from Seattle to Portland and bid for a compartment! Ironically the senior fare pp was $4.50 more than for the adult, so if any senior is looking to book Amtrak check out both pricing options!
maybe they think they might have to help a senior up and down those steps

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a move afoot to restore Amtrak's Pioneer route through here, but I think it's just 'romantic fantasy'. Nobody is going to get up at 3am to board a train to either SLC or Portland to ride all day when a plane ride is an hour for under a hundred bucks.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
While traveling earlier this month on the Silver Route, Florida/NY, I was told full dining would be back October/November.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
There is a move afoot to restore Amtrak's Pioneer route through here, but I think it's just 'romantic fantasy'. Nobody is going to get up at 3am to board a train to either SLC or Portland to ride all day when a plane ride is an hour for under a hundred bucks.
agree. and cross country is a couple of days--coach fare not too bad--but likely can fly for less. Small bunk bed sleeping car for 2 is likely $500+. I can't see many people doing that or Amtrak being anywhere near self supporting for those long hauls.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
agree. and cross country is a couple of days--coach fare not too bad--but likely can fly for less. Small bunk bed sleeping car for 2 is likely $500+. I can't see many people doing that or Amtrak being anywhere near self supporting for those long hauls.
I did a long haul from FL to NY and every sleeper car room was taken. Train lovers do not care how long it takes. The question is are there enough train lovers on the routes?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We make at least 2 long distance train trips per year because of the scenery and relaxation they provide. The sleeper accommodations are always sold out, especially during Covid. Amtrak could easily ad a couple sleeper cars to the Southwest Chief, CA Zephyr, Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, and Cardinal and they would likely be filled. My only concern is that bedroom prices have doubled this year and roomettes have also increased substantially. Many of the superliner cars are also in need of refurbishment.

Long distance train travel provides decompression, and we consider our vacation to start when we board the train. I can't say the same thing about flying. I traveled extensively for business and it was mostly by air.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Small bunk bed sleeping car for 2 is likely $500+. I can't see many people doing that or Amtrak being anywhere near self supporting for those long hauls.
thinking about cross country for next spring: sleeping car for 2 from Washington to Flagstaff is $2K with a 6 hour layover in Chicago. 2 coach seats (56 hours) is under $400.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's gonna take more than new seat cushions to get me on a train for multiple days/nights.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
thinking about cross country for next spring: sleeping car for 2 from Washington to Flagstaff is $2K with a 6 hour layover in Chicago. 2 coach seats (56 hours) is under $400.
Have you considered a roomette? It is probably 1/2 the price of a bedroom. It is cramped at night on the top bunk, but includes all meals and at least you can sleep in a bed. The bedrooms have gotten too expensive.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
It's gonna take more than new seat cushions to get me on a train for multiple days/nights.
One night overnight was more than enough for me.

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
We traveled from whitefish, mt to the sf Bay Area in July of 2019 in a large room. We spent 2 nights on the train and didn’t sleep much as it was noisy and uncomfortable but the day time rides were very beautiful and fun. Some of the employees were nasty, one telling us not to call for his help unless were dying and that no one would be cleaning the group restrooms overnight. The restrooms were gross in the morning. Not sure I would ever do an overnight again.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Biden wants to bring Amtrak to a Northeast commuter corridor. Will riders support it?

Richard

The Northeast Corridor has basically supported Amtrak all these years, ever since the system was gutted years ago. Going from Boston to New York to Philly to Washington by train is an absolute dream compared to flying. So yes, there is support for bettter service on the Northeast Corridor.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
love those--not offered.
Are they sold out? I have roomettes reserved on the Cardinal and Southwest Chief from Cincinnati to Flagstaff in March 2022 and the cost for one was about $900. Bedroom would have been about 1800. A second person would cost an additional $200. This year, the cost was only $750 so prices are definitely climbing.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Must have been the day I used. Roomettes are $1544 for 2--still a bit steep, IMHO.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Must have been the day I used. Roomettes are $1544 for 2--still a bit steep, IMHO.
I agree. I think Amtrak will lose a lot of potential customers with their new pricing strategy. That would have cost about $900 last year. They hire too many former airline executives who use pricing strategies that increase the price each time a room is booked, and they have no competition.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
I wish the "Man in Seat 61" was as thorough in reviewing Amtrak routes as he is for European trains! Our last major train journey was in November 2019 from Budapest to Munich. We booked business class fro only 69 euro each. Just out of Budapest the engine failed so back to the station until a new one could be attached to the train. This new engine was slow as molasses and in Vienna we were told to get off the train and board the next one, which had caught up to ours, due to arrive in about 30 minutes. Little did we know that our seats in business weren't valid on the 2nd train. Very embarrassing especially with the language barrier, but we did end up in the same class thanks to a gentlemen who switched seats so we would have 2 together. We've also taken a train from Berlin to Prague with a better experience in a compartment shared with 4 happy Australians. My only Amtrak trip was from BWI to Union Station in D.C.