• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amid reports of homelessness and food insecurity, 25,000 employees sue Disneyland for better pay

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Supply and demand does not work when free money is given out excessively. What did the powers that be think would happen? Unless their end goal is to inflate away debts. Or care more about getting re-elected then doing what’s right.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Supply and demand does not work when free money is given out excessively. What did the powers that be think would happen? Unless their end goal is to inflate away debts. Or care more about getting re-elected then doing what’s right.

Doing the right thing is not even on their menu. It is only about getting re-elected so that they can grow their personal power and wealth. Every time they get re-elected their speech fee goes up $25K or $50K.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I wonder how many of the Class have actually opted in.

lkc1234

TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as Disney is paying the required minimum wage there is no legal obligation to raise the wages. However according to this chart Disney is paying much more than minimum wage.

The Disneyland Resort Jobs by Hourly Rate

Job TitleRangeAverage
Administrative Assistant$13 - $23 (Estimated *)$17
Controls Engineer$16 - $32 (Estimated *)$24
Custodian$9 - $15 (Estimated *)$11
Customer Service Team Leader$8 - $19 (Estimated *)$13
Electrician Journeyman$25 - $52 (Estimated *)$36
Head Cashier$10 - $16 (Estimated *)$12
Head Chef$15 - $31 (Estimated *)$22

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Supply & Demand Theory. Is this why every major league players in baseball, hockry, tennis, football, golf & basketball average salaries are more than most college gradutes. LOL.:confused:o_O

How many major league players have a college degree?????

What % have a college degree????
Answer: YES. The supply of people/players that are at the level of all those major leagues is VERY LOW, while the demand is fairly consistent. The positions in demand do nto require a college degree.

The supply of college of graduates (many with very low grades and very high student loans) is VERY HIGH, while the demand is fairly consistent.

ECON 1A.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as Disney is paying the required minimum wage there is no legal obligation to raise the wages. However according to this chart Disney is paying much more than minimum wage.

Job TitleRangeAverage
This looked good for Disney employees under their umbrella. Now how much does Disney pay hourly contract workers ? I feel that this is what this thread and this problem is all about. Low pay for hourly contract workers , with no benefits.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Answer: YES. The supply of people/players that are at the level of all those major leagues is VERY LOW, while the demand is fairly consistent. The positions in demand do nto require a college degree.

The supply of college of graduates (many with very low grades and very high student loans) is VERY HIGH, while the demand is fairly consistent.

ECON 1A.
I can remember in 60's I made made more money then some NFL Football players.
Players liked Johnny Unitas and Lenny Moore worked off-season selling automobiles to supplement their income.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score

Job TitleRangeAverage

Not sure where you got this chart. As of 1/1/21, minimum wage in CA is $14/hr.

Also, I wouldn't call $11/hr for a custodian or $12/hr for a HEAD cashier to be anything special.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I can remember in 60's I made made more money then some NFL Football players.
Players liked Johnny Unitas and Lenny Moore worked off-season selling automobiles to supplement their income.
Demand wasn't the same back then. NFL wasn't bringing in 12 billion a year.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you got this chart. As of 1/1/21, minimum wage in CA is $14/hr.

Also, I wouldn't call $11/hr for a custodian or $12/hr for a HEAD cashier to be anything special.

Also, it looks like mostly more senior positions were cherry picked in that list to cast better light on Disneyland pay. Now what does a gate attendant or princess pay?

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Movie and TV production could grind to a halt as leaders of 150,000-member Hollywood crafts union push vote to strike over low pay and marathon workdays
  • Hollywood union workers could start a historic strike as early as next week that would halt almost all film and television production across the entire US
  • Leaders of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, or the IATSE, are set to discuss whether or not to strike Wednesday
  • Workers in the historic Hollywood crafts union are frustrated with low pay and marathon workdays, and want greater compensation for streaming projects
  • The union is also seeking 'meaningful improvements in rest periods' and increased wages for crafts that have hourly rates of less than $18 an hour

geekette

Reaction score
They didnt care about the optics of bringing in foreign worker visas to replace their IT staff at lower salaries, then forcing the laid off staff to train their replacements or lose severance, so i doubt they care about the optics of this lawsuit.
This is not a new game. Happened in a place I worked around 2003.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And the players have a union. Unions brought us the weekend, rules against child labor, and the middle class. I wouldn’t be so quick to knock them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
And the players have a union. Unions brought us the weekend, rules against child labor, and the middle class. I wouldn’t be so quick to knock them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unions have served this country well in the past, but somewhere along the line, it changed. A few examples:

1 - I worked in the office of a contractor 1990 - 91 before I graduated college. The owner was a member of the 'operating engineers' union. They operate heavy equipment like bulldozers. He used to complain that they require an 'lubricator' on site. The only thing he does is lubricate the equipment on a regular basis (every 1/2 hour or so). Otherwise, he sits around, especially on a job with only one or two pieces of equipment. Why can't the operator of the equipment do that? He has to stop the machine for it to be lubricated anyway. On top of that, if there is more than 3 employees, he had to hire a union supervisor who really did nothing. These are rules for just keeping people employed.

2 - A woman who worked for me had a brother who was a engineer. He got a job with NYC - everyone is union. He was constantly being told that he was making all the other employees look bad by working too hard and finishing his assignments too fast. Eventually, he left and went to a private company. Don't know what happened to him as she left to work for the competition.

3 - Port Authority of NY. There are 3 or 4 employees who are the so called supervisors of the 2nd floor/49th st building - where I go to get the bus home from work. These people do NOTHING other than congregate andr talk. If you ask them where is the bus, they will just say 'I dont know' or 'I will let you know' - which is code for them to walk somewhere else on the floor and continue their conversations. Forget if there is a special schedule for a a holiday - They dont know where the buses are supposed to be or when they are supposed to be arriving/leaving. These people would never make it in a job in which they are judged by their performance.

On the other hand, I believe that people should treated fairly. I try to be patient and respectful. I don't cheat anybody. I try to treat others the way I would like to be treated. I realize that many years ago (before WWII) , this was not the way that many employers treated their employees. So, I understand the need for unions, but I also see how they have become corrupt.

Lastly... My daughter is being forced to join the union at Shoprite. She makes $12/hr. I am hoping that union dues are not that high.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
Unions do protect employees as since their demise, it is work people to death and pay them as little as possible. It's time for employees to have some power. It's not unreasonable for human beings to seek Personal Life vs work All The Time for little benefit. USA is a bit whacky with that, where business is now king and we are all serfs to feed the king.

lkc1234

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unions do protect employees as since their demise, it is work people to death and pay them as little as possible. It's time for employees to have some power. It's not unreasonable for human beings to seek Personal Life vs work All The Time for little benefit. USA is a bit whacky with that, where business is now king and we are all serfs to feed the king.
Unions are in the game only for union leaders. I worked for a non union company that paid employees an average hourly wage of $20 per hour plus full benefits. Our company looked at buying a competitor in the same state making the same product. That company had a union and was paying their employees less than $10 per hour and the employees had to pay $300 per month for family health care. Why. We had a union drive at our company by this union but once we had meetings with employees and outlined the actual differences in wages and benefits the union withdrew and left town. The union can only negotiate with the company but can not get anything from the company that the company doesn't agree to. Anytime a company has a union it cost the company more to produce. That is not because of higher wages but more because of slowdowns in production, strikes and unnecessary grievances by the union which impacts production. There is a reason that union participation has shrunk from 20% to around 10% in the last few years. Unions don't protect employees it is state and federal laws that protect employees. Our company policies were much stricter than any union could provide. No employee could be terminated without first being suspended for three days and the termination reviewed by local HR and the Corporate HR Director had to review and sign off for someone to be terminated. That applied to all levels of positions in the company including custodian up to Plant Manager.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
I lived in an At Will state, so, no, state employment laws are not actual employee protection. Further, a crafty HR plus corporate lawyer could squash or drag out to my bk an actual grievance. Employees have zero power. Except to quit, which I have, many times.

I have never been union, it's the concept of employee lobbyist that appeals to me. Like anything else, there are cranks and kings, and leadership matters.

lkc1234

TUG Member
Reaction score

Checks and balances. Read our history.
History is exactly that history. Unions were good in their earlier beginning but they have outlived their reason for existence. They have cost many employees their jobs by promising all kind of higher wages and benefits to employees they can't deliver and then the employees lose their jobs by the company closing or relocating. A good example is Toyota. Toyota had one union manufacturing plant and that plant was in California. Guess what happened? Toyota closed that plant and moved it to Texas. Guess how many union manufacturing plants Toyota has in the USA now? Zero.

Toyota Vehicles Made in the USA
  • Toyota Sienna (Princeton, Indiana)
  • Toyota Sequoia (Princeton, Indiana)
  • Toyota Highlander (Princeton, Indiana)
  • Toyota RAV4 Hybrid (Georgetown, Kentucky)
  • Toyota Camry (Georgetown, Kentucky)
  • Toyota Avalon (Georgetown, Kentucky)
  • Toyota Tacoma (San Antonio, Texas)
  • Toyota Tundra (San Antonio, Texas)
  • Toyota Corolla (Blue Springs, Mississippi)
Other Toyota Plants in the USA
Toyota also has plants located in Alabama, Missouri, Tennessee, and Virginia. In 2018, the automaker built nearly 2 million vehicles at its North American vehicle assembly plants alone. All are non union and Toyota has overall wages and benefits as good or better than the big 3 automakers.

None of these plants are union. Interesting that the only union plant that Toyota had manufacturing vehicles in California ended up closing and moving to Texas. You might want to ask those several thousand California employees if the union protected their jobs.

geekette

Reaction score
There are no job saviors. Plenty more than automakers have sent their jobs overseas for cheaper labor. Ever had to train your less qualified replacement that struggled with English, else lose your severance? The days of loyalty are gone. Both ways. Profits over people now, and all people can do is vote with their wallets and feet. Partly why I own stock is to get a cut of profits from many companies, since there was never much chance of my own employer sharing profit with me. I would rather spend my consumer dollars with companies that value their employees, but who the heck is that anymore?? Costco. and ... ???

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I lived in an At Will state, so, no, state employment laws are not actual employee protection. Further, a crafty HR plus corporate lawyer could squash or drag out to my bk an actual grievance. Employees have zero power. Except to quit, which I have, many times.

I have never been union, it's the concept of employee lobbyist that appeals to me. Like anything else, there are cranks and kings, and leadership matters.

This is a completely different time in the world. Unions were needed back then. Now... not so much.

I would much rather us follow the German model where 40% of the board of a public company is made up of employee representatives.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are no job saviors. Plenty more than automakers have sent their jobs overseas for cheaper labor. Ever had to train your less qualified replacement that struggled with English, else lose your severance? The days of loyalty are gone. Both ways. Profits over people now, and all people can do is vote with their wallets and feet. Partly why I own stock is to get a cut of profits from many companies, since there was never much chance of my own employer sharing profit with me. I would rather spend my consumer dollars with companies that value their employees, but who the heck is that anymore?? Costco. and ... ???

Sad but true...... At least in the US. A few outliers, but nothing else.